• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT am I the only one watch the UFC tonight?

173 posts in this topic

But c'mon lets be honest that the guy is probably at best a natural 185 pounder but he is able to swing his weight to 225 in a short period of time? Those are some good vitamins he is taking.

Just goes back to my initial question about the availability and freedom of obtaining anabolic steroids in other countries. If Royce Gracie was caught doing roids and he looks about 175 lbs soaking wet, I'm pretty sure most other Brazilian top level fighters are or have used them in the past. Just check out some of the steroid message boards with MMA fighters looking for gear cycle advice and dealers of anabolics to buy from. It is very prevalent in MMA.

Steroids are very easy to abtain, even in the US. The only reason to go out of the country is to escape the legal consequences associated with possession.

I wouldn't single out MMA as a haven for juice heads. I would venture to say that 50% of all professional atheletes are on something and a much higher percentage of amatures are using.

But be careful with what you call a steroid. There are illegal steroids and there are legal ones, non-scheduled substances (currently classified as natural supplements). Just because someone baloons up in weight does not mean he is using something illegal.

But be careful with what you call a steroid. There are illegal steroids and there are legal ones, non-scheduled substances (currently classified as natural supplements). Just because someone baloons up in weight does not mean he is using something illegal.

Which are the legal steroids you are referring to. The only one I can think of is DHEA and most people feel it is ineffective. I can't think of any natural or legal supplement on that market that could have the same effect as anabolic steroids.

But c'mon lets be honest that the guy is probably at best a natural 185 pounder but he is able to swing his weight to 225 in a short period of time? Those are some good vitamins he is taking.

Just goes back to my initial question about the availability and freedom of obtaining anabolic steroids in other countries. If Royce Gracie was caught doing roids and he looks about 175 lbs soaking wet, I'm pretty sure most other Brazilian top level fighters are or have used them in the past. Just check out some of the steroid message boards with MMA fighters looking for gear cycle advice and dealers of anabolics to buy from. It is very prevalent in MMA.

And Royce has lived/trained in California for a number of years if I'm not mistaken but lets face it these guys can get whatever they want in any country, just ask Chris Benoit's doctor.

Which are the legal steroids you are referring to. The only one I can think of is DHEA and most people feel it is ineffective. I can't think of any natural or legal supplement on that market that could have the same effect as anabolic steroids.

DHEA is a hormone precoursor and not anabolic in and of itself. On the other hand things like Resveritrol cause a natural increase of your own hormone production.

There are a lot of designer steroids that have come on the scene in the past 5 years. The whole current round of hormone/precoursors "supplements" started about 13 years ago with Andro (which has now been classified as an anabilic steroid) and it's derivatives. Now there are a lot of people looking at other things that either act to increase your natural production or are, in and of themselves, anabolic. Look at the stuff Ergopharm is coming out with... 11-Oxo, in certain doses, is anabolic but it is marketed as a cotrisol controller b/c of legal reasons. 6-Oxo, while not anabolic as far as I know, adjusts your body's idea of what is acceptable for testosterone levels and allows your body to produce more on its own.

There are others but I'm not really up on them that much. Aside from the things that are available on the market there is a ton of stuff that is legal but not worth the time to sell (from a liablilty or cost perspective). As with most things, there is more than one way to skin a cat... just banging away directly at androgen receptors is not the only way to elicit an anabolic response.

Just thought I'd ring in here as I have seen Hughes train as well as Serra. Hughes has lost at least 3 times by submission. He is extremely strong but can be careless when ground and pounding. Hughes lost to the Dennis Hallman twice by submission(not even acknowledged by UFC) and Charuto had him mounted in triangle and should have pounded for victory as Matt was helpless. Penn submitted him. He is VERY overrated in my opinion due to his reign in UFC defeating nobodies. Once he fought the good fighters losses came. BJ Penn was beating him until he gassed. Matt Hughes is not a strong stand up guy so where does Serra's inability to throw combos come in? Matt will probably take down and try to be safe against Serra. Serra is as good as they come on the ground. I will say this tho Hughes is mostly susceptible to triangles from taller fighters due to his short stature but Serra is just as short lol. Should be very boring unless one of them takes chances. I'd say 2:1 in favor of Matt Hughes do to his capability to lie on opponents and win doing nothing but throw meaningless punches from there. GSP would still mop the floor with Matt.

Just thought I'd ring in here as I have seen Hughes train as well as Serra. Hughes has lost at least 3 times by submission. He is extremely strong but can be careless when ground and pounding. Hughes lost to the Dennis Hallman twice by submission(not even acknowledged by UFC) and Charuto had him mounted in triangle and should have pounded for victory as Matt was helpless. Penn submitted him. He is VERY overrated in my opinion due to his reign in UFC defeating nobodies. Once he fought the good fighters losses came. BJ Penn was beating him until he gassed.

Very valid points. Many people have fallen in love with Matt Hughes but have not realized how often he has been submitted or dominated by other fighters. There is no doubt that Hughes has tremendous cardio and wrestling skills but the guy is not invincible nor as untouchable as some people think. How funny would that be to see Serra choke out this ego-maniac on the TUF finale similar to what Penn did to him years ago, then plant a nice kiss on the cheek ala Penn :applause:

I don't think anyone who thinks Serra will win, has actually seen his fights on TUF. He looked super lame in them all, and IMO, lost to Lytle in the finale. His striking is very suspect, though he does hit hard, and BJJ is mostly useless for offensive moves, as he's too freaking short to make use of it.

Then he walks in, gets an extremely lucky punch on GSP and suddenly he's a world-beater. lol

I despise Hughes, but he is angry and he will demolish Serra.

I don't think anyone who thinks Serra will win, has actually seen his fights on TUF. He looked super lame in them all, and IMO, lost to Lytle in the finale. His striking is very suspect, though he does hit hard, and BJJ is mostly useless for offensive moves, as he's too freaking short to make use of it.

Then he walks in, gets an extremely lucky punch on GSP and suddenly he's a world-beater. lol

That is true like I said he is short but so is Hughes. I dont expect Serra to win here. I see Hughes by decision. Hopefully the pride fighters inject some life into this division because it is the weakest in my opinion as far as competition goes.

Then he walks in, gets an extremely lucky punch on GSP and suddenly he's a world-beater.

No one's calling Serra a world-beater but give the man some credit. He has stood in with some top talent and unlike Hughes has never been submitted or ground & pounded. BTW, Hughes was almost knocked out by Frank Trigg and Carlos Newton (Newton momentarily choked him out at the end). Lucky punch or not, Serra is not a push over as some people may think.

Kinda off topic, but one thing that really looks scary on Serra is his right bicep. It looks like he had a major tear of the muscle as nearly half of it appears removed. Anyone know how or which fight this happened in??

Yeah, Lytle won that fight in my eyes too.

Serra did look good in that fight, but I would pick ten 170-pounders to beat him most days.

Hughes is a cocky little punk and I hope Serra wins, but I doubt it.

Also, UFC Fight Night 11 was pretty good. Quarry vs. Sell was a great fight. I liked not having audio the first round...no commentators to sway my view of the fight. Maybe an option to remove commentating on DVDs would nice.

I don't think anyone who thinks Serra will win, has actually seen his fights on TUF. He looked super lame in them all, and IMO, lost to Lytle in the finale.

Saw the Lytle/Serra fight and it was close and I think Serra knew he may have lost the decision. But give Lytle a lot of credit. He is a talented fighter who's been around a long time and very well-trained on the ground (even Hughes couldn't knock out Lytle). Serra did not look dominant in the TUF fights but ask GSP after he got laid out with his eyes rolling to the back of his head just how lame a fighter Serra is lol

Only reason Lytle lost was he was not aggressive enough. So many people view takedowns as positive scoring in fights that strikers are afraid to plant due to the chance of getting taken down. Some judges even award fighters the round for takedowns and then not being effective on ground. No damaging strikes and no submission attemps. If a fighter is taken down and reverses or nullifies the other's attacks I award just as much scoring. Cant believe how some fighters just stay busy in their opponents guard and win that way. Diego Sanchez and Hughes come to mind. Not saying they cant dominate and hurt their opponent but they do play it safe alot and dont even pass guard. I dont award or appreciate surviving and not trying to FINISH the fight. I have some of the lesser fighters do it too. But superstar fighters should finish their opponent.

I was impressed again by Nate Diaz and with just a bit more seasoning and experience this guy could cause some havok in his weight class within the next couple years. He showed some excellent transitions on the ground and he is long, lanky and very flexible which is ideal for BJJ. He also landed some excellent punches which signify his boxing skills are steadily improving. The Caesar Gracie camp is turning out some pretty strong fighters and I look forward to checking out his next fight (thumbs u

If Corey Hill hadn't jumped on him, no one would even be talking about Diaz. Hill was punching him with ease and tossing him around like a rag doll.

In fact, if everyone had kept it on the feet, Diaz would be toast, but the guy is deadly with submissions.

I didnt get to see the fights as I worked both jobs yesterday :cry: but I heard about it from all the guys. Heard Shogun was ultra impressive then gassed and got submitted. Also no big surprise that Liddel lost to Jardine as that was the perfect fighter to give him problems. Leg kicks have always given Chuck a hard time as he is unable to plant and counter straights with well timed hooks. And what does Jardine mostly throw? Heavy leg kicks mixed with straights followed by hooks. What else happened last night? My buds were not good reporters. lol