• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Comic Book Marketplace Cancelled??

39 posts in this topic

Think they should merge the best of the concepts from Ostreet Comic Pr Review w/ CBM. Would be a CB Marketplace mag with more graphs & pricing analysis of international raw or CGC sales. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Great idea... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Uhm, I vote that before they do anything, they get rid of Russ Cochran and return CBM to the great mag it was before (Gary Carter??). Russ ruined it by shoving his own interests (love of comic strips from the '20s) down our throats. His own interests dominated that mag - not a good way to run a business. Remember, Russ is the guy who wrote:

"(Regarding the "Galactus is on the cover of FF # 48" article) "I did proof-read the entire issue, as I always do, with an eagle-eye for typos and boo-boos, but - would you believe it? - I don't know Galactus from Schmalactus, or The Watcher. I didn't even understand the (many letters of) criticism until I asked (the writer of the article) to explain it to me."

Uhm, I vote that before they do anything, they get rid of Russ Cochran and return CBM to the great mag it was before (Gary Carter??). Russ ruined it by shoving his own interests (love of comic strips from the '20s) down our throats. His own interests dominated that mag - not a good way to run a business. Remember, Russ is the guy who wrote:

"(Regarding the "Galactus is on the cover of FF # 48" article) "I did proof-read the entire issue, as I always do, with an eagle-eye for typos and boo-boos, but - would you believe it? - I don't know Galactus from Schmalactus, or The Watcher. I didn't even understand the (many letters of) criticism until I asked (the writer of the article) to explain it to me."

True...Cochran's tenure on the CBM will be defined by editorial after editorial defending the "direction" of the mag, the kinds of articles, defending the inclusion of strips and other ancillary topics. Carter steered it in the right direction, the formula was tried and true, so why did they it up!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif If it ain't broke...

True...Cochran's tenure on the CBM will be defined by editorial after editorial defending the "direction" of the mag, the kinds of articles, defending the inclusion of strips and other ancillary topics. Carter steered it in the right direction, the formula was tried and true, so why did they it up!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif If it ain't broke...

I believe that Russ basically had the job forced upon him so I guess Steve Geppi gave him some more leeway at the start. From what I heard from my local comic dealer, Gary Carter, left as editor of the CBM over a perceived slight of not being allowed to be charged of the Overstreet Price Guide. Can't confirm if this is true or not. Sigh...I should re-read all of my original series issues! frown.gif

I did notice a reduction in the anti-CGC rhetoric once Carter left, both in Naiman's market reports and the occasional opines that were presented by (Jon Berk? Dave Anderson?).

I did notice a reduction in the anti-CGC rhetoric once Carter left, both in Naiman's market reports and the occasional opines that were presented by (Jon Berk? Dave Anderson?).
I guess if I had actually read the books, I could comment on that trend. However, after a while, I just bought it out of habit because that's all I buy along with the CBG. Not going to bankrupt me if I keep buying them. Too bad, the last issue looked half decent although I haven't read it yet. Also, in the letters page, Russ Cochran told a disgrunted reader that they were going to focus more on the comics side. confused-smiley-013.gif

Gary Carter, left as editor of the CBM over a perceived slight of not being allowed to be charged of the Overstreet Price Guide.

confused.gif

Ooops...poor grammar. My local store owner said that he heard a rumour that Gary was pissed that wasn't put in charge of the Overstreet Price Guide after Gemstone bought the rights. hi.gif

This is the funniest screw up I've ever seen - the writer of the article stated that Galactus was the character in the white toga!! 27_laughing.gif

It's a bit like Sports Illustrated confusing Brett Favre for Mike Vick.

Greg White is the prime offender for this - usually stating his views in such a way that makes JC look subtle by comparison.

Anyone know if Comic Book Marketplace got cancelled again?....I found this link but I don't know how old it is.

cbm

J.D.

You know? This is what can happen when things get too mainstream. CBM was the best single professional periodical on comic books when it was under Gary. An absolutely amazing resource of all manner of information. I gotta say there are things about collecting comics nowadays that does stink (these boards help a lot), prompting me to make a new topic....

Anyone know if Comic Book Marketplace got cancelled again?....I found this link but I don't know how old it is.

cbm

J.D.

You know? This is what can happen when things get too mainstream. CBM was the best single professional periodical on comic books when it was under Gary. An absolutely amazing resource of all manner of information. I gotta say there are things about collecting comics nowadays that does stink (these boards help a lot), prompting me to make a new topic....

I agree... thumbsup2.gif