• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Comic Book Marketplace Cancelled??

39 posts in this topic

I just wanted to let everyone know that Comic Book Marketplace is on schedule as usual. CBM #105 features a Wrightson cover that I have attached.

Any thoughts towards combining CBM and the Overstreet price update? I currently prefer the Comics Buyer's Guide, but if CBM and Overstreet came together, I could be persuaded to go for it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just wanted to let everyone know that Comic Book Marketplace is on schedule as usual. CBM #105 features a Wrightson cover that I have attached.

Tom

Great news. The Wrightson cover goes great with my recent Wrightson experience. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Tom G! Question:

How would you go about convincing me to buy CBM again? I have every issue since the re-launch at # 22 up until about 5 issues into Russ' reign, when I cancelled my subscription in disgust. Are things changing in the magazine? Did you get rid of Funnies Farrago yet? (and the 9 page Mary Worth articles???). Are you making any changes (additions/subtractions) that might be of interest to me? That Wrightson issue looks interesting, but what else is going on inside?? Would you consider any of the suggestions given here?

I dont like it...it looks big ugly and awkward. Its almost half the cover height!

Not classy, nicely sized and integrated with the cover artwork like the old one.

It does SCREAM COMICS, Ill give it that much!

The whole magazine has looked more like a cheap fanzine since the Cochran relaunch than the well-oiled cleanly designed niche collector's magazine it was for all those years. And no, conspiracy buffs, I'm not Gary Carter!

okay, now ill admit that it has gotten better of late, th elast few issues. But, I agree with anyone who questions why they should buy it any more, let alone READ it!

I never heard a rumor about Carter leaving because he didnt get the editorial reins of the Overstreet Guide. That doesnt sound right at all. Two reasons. Gary and Lisa live in San Diego and werent going to move east again for Geppi/Gemstone after trying it originally for awhile. And they would have to to take over the key property in the gemstone 'empire'. 2) Why would he expect to take over the OVERSTREET Guide when Bob himself works on his own dam book right in Timonium a few doors down from Geppi himself and the entire gemstone/Diamond corporation ? Absentee Editors? I dont think so.

I think it just may have been a mutual 'divorce' since the magazine was a money loser and they were probably working tons of hours to put it out each month for very little money and no hint of a pay increase on the horizon. It was time to get a raise, or move on, and the negotiations probably reached an impasse. My guess it Geppi would choose to keep publishing it at a loss....but try not to lose any MORE money than he was.

wow, i tam shocked you think its looks like an amateur publication. Since Michael Kronenberg took over design I think its the BEST looking mag on the market. He used to do Monsters from the vault, & that was the nicest looking Monster mag at the time. His layouts are innovative & fresh. Have you really looked inside the last 2?

Did he take over for just the last two issues? I did note that it had gotten better of late, but am still so blown away by the ongoing amatuerishness of it that it registered as "better", but not as clean and well-designed (easy on the eyes...) as before. Ill go look again. Im not familiar with that Monster magazine or his work...

Even though I don’t work on the magazine, I do find it to be a very broad-based approach to comic history. Not every issue fascinates me, but every issue does provide yet another piece of the puzzle that is comic character history. Several articles have given me an interest into areas that I might not have previously looked into.

Wasn't there a published report that the publisher wanted to up the frequency of CBM, basically asking Gary to work harder for either the same money, or for not enough additional compensation. Seem to recall that in one of Russ' first issues, indicating apart from that disagreement, the split was basically amiable.

I never heard a rumor about Carter leaving because he didnt get the editorial reins of the Overstreet Guide. That doesnt sound right at all. Two reasons. Gary and Lisa live in San Diego and werent going to move east again for Geppi/Gemstone after trying it originally for awhile. And they would have to to take over the key property in the gemstone 'empire'. 2) Why would he expect to take over the OVERSTREET Guide when Bob himself works on his own dam book right in Timonium a few doors down from Geppi himself and the entire gemstone/Diamond corporation ? Absentee Editors? I dont think so.

I think the split was amicable too...essentially a parting of the ways professionally. But the magazine was in such good shape physically, I have to wonder why it wasnt possible for Cochrans first issues to just take over with the same files etc and just write new copy and insert new pictures. So either the files were not provided (as a result of a less than amicable parting) or, perhaps Cochran just didnt want or feel he needed them, planning a CLEAN BREAK with the past, to the point that his first issues were more like a mimeographed fanzine with ads than a real magazine.

I havent liked the new articles as much either! CBM was indispensible in the beginning, and always well worth reading right away each month. But articles on Bowen statues?? or collectible new comics? ho humm.

boy Im sounding really negative arent I?