• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko doc

34 posts in this topic

Hi there,

For anyone in the UK Jonathon Ross' documentary on Steve Ditko is airing on Sunday on BBC4. It should be good - his pop-culture docs are always fun and it would be hard to deny he's been hiding his fan-boy excitement with this one.

Here's a link to a article he's written for the Guardian today if anyone is interested.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/news/story/0,,2169000,00.html

I wonder how much of a premium a Ditko SS book would command. It must be the most sought after signature of a living comic creator.

you wouldn't want a scribbled on book so don't even ask.

I just watched it and it was one of the best documentaries i've ever seen, definetly the best one on comics.

I wouldn't say by any standard that it was one of the best docs I've seen, but it certainly was probably the best I've seen on the medium - it had everyone I'd've wanted to see on it, including Lee, Romita, Moore, Gaiman etc., it was intelligently written and ticked all the important boxes. I was impressed.

Ross never got his interview with Ditko, not on camera at least. Him and Neil Gaiman go to Ditko's address (they actually show the street and building, 51st street i think) and although Ditko declines an interview, they both go up to see him. 25 minutes later they come down to the camera crew and you can see the grin on their faces. They say that he was the nicest and sweetest man you could imagine and they each walk out with a pile of books that he gave them! I even noticed an early Spider-Man (i think it was #11).

I can imagine that the poor guy will get swamped with people knocking on his door now! :o

I wouldn't say by any standard that it was one of the best docs I've seen

Don't say that! Make the Americans think they missed out on something great!! :makepoint:

Well, they did, and I'm sure they'll get the chance on Youtube or another site in the not too distant future to see it.

The interview with Lee is worth the price of admission....

Simply the best comics documentary I've ever seen - absolutely brilliant - and if you're ever feeling down on the hobby this'll boost your enthusiasm to the Nth degree.

Just compelling viewing - from when Ross, Mark Millar and Paul Gambaccinni are in the comic room (when you're that rich, who needs boxes!), to the cover blow-ups, to the high grade ASMs, to the interviews... to the great ending...

And wasn't Alan Moore charming?

Afterall those interviews where he comes across as whingey, he seemed warm and funny - and you could tell under all that hair and bravado he's a real comics fan at heart...

Made me want to go out and buy COMICS!

Don't say that! Make the Americans think they missed out on something great!! :makepoint:

Well, they did, and I'm sure they'll get the chance on Youtube or another site in the not too distant future to see it.

You could see Lee getting more and more wary about what he was saying as time went by. From what he was saying it sounded like Ditko was pretty much doing the book by himself towards the end.

And do you think the Beeb really paid for Gaiman to fly over to NY just to essentially hold JR's hand. Doesn't sounds like a bad gig.

You could see Lee getting more and more wary about what he was saying as time went by. From what he was saying it sounded like Ditko was pretty much doing the book by himself towards the end.

And do you think the Beeb really paid for Gaiman to fly over to NY just to essentially hold JR's hand. Doesn't sounds like a bad gig.

That's how I saw the Lee interview, but then creative credit has always been the most contentious part of his career. Ironic that the doc featured Jerry Robinson....

Gaiman came across very well as he did seem in awe of Ditko and quite apprehensive about invading his privacy. He lives in Minneapolis (FWIW) so it wouldn't've been a huge expense for the BBC to get him to NYC...

You wouldn't happen to know where i can get a copy of the 1999 fanzine they featured with Ditko mocking Lee using art? The only info i could find is on the page below and it's pretty vague.

http://www.ditko.comics.org/ditko/check/ditch3p3.html

I admit that I had no idea about that fanzine piece...I always assumed that Ditko had considered that period of his life as done and dusted. Suffice to say that I'd like a copy too...