• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian price variants Any market for these?

30 posts in this topic

My 2c is this:

Correctly, they are Canadian editions, not price variants. I have not read the indicia for all of these particular books, but unless the cover price differs from the indicia, they are not price variants.

The cover price is different from the indicia.

one other thing--I am sure there are exceptions....

Like Iron Man 89? Indicia on says 30c even on the standard 25c version. So does this make the 25c version the true variant?

BTW, I actually spun it just like this in an auction one time (selling both versions in different auctions) and the 25c-er went for a/b 2x guide.

All of these "variants" were destined for newsstand sales only. Some local stores in Winnipeg carried some of the newsstand versions as well as the direct market counterparts which had both prices (I know this because I purchased my Wolverine mini series off the stands in one store only to notice years later that the first issue was a newsstand price printing). I don't know of any local collectors that shun these books since they are not reprints they are just newsstand copies. Not one dealer I have seen notes any difference between the the two either and they generally sell for the same amount.

As for how "rare" they are I have heard that they comprised maybe 5% of the total print run (which includes the American, Direct, and any Pence pressings) so it would be safe to say that outside of Canada they would be fairly uncommon. IMO though this does not mean they are worth any more or less than guide.

With respect to whether or not they are variants ... it is a matter of opinion I suppose the term is vastly overused. Every printing error, price difference, etc etc gets classed under "variant" now that the term really means little. Since pence and Canadian newsstand copies were pressed in the same run with the majority American/Direct pressing they are variants. If you consider these books to not be variants even though in Canada at least at least two different version were available then the Marvel 30 and 35 cent price variants would have to be excluded since they were only marketed in a small isolated area. Even the cover price indica price differences isn't a good argument either since some of the Canadian copies do differ in this regard. When the definition of something has to be argued then clearly the term has been lost or diluted. I think pedigree has also obtained this marketing tool status now too.

In the end though it is all moot to me because I don't differentiate or value the different "editions"/"variants".

With respect to the Pence copies many folks still think they are reprints and those who don't and are interested in them still may not regularly pick them up because the shipping from the UK is a hard thing to absorb on a regular basis.

Question: If Canadian newstand books are all "variants", then where are the Canadian newstand "regular" editions? (shrug)

And in no way does a variant have to be available at every store in every state/province in NA to be applicable. There might be regional differences, printing errors, cover colors, etc. that only get distributed to certain geographical areas.

But the key is, to have a "variant", you need to have a corresponding "regular" edition to compare it to. In the case of what many mislabel as CAD or UK "variants", these books are actually the "regular" editions.

Actually yes I would. Do you have Any of the Star comics line Canadian price variants? Or the GI Joe 1st 10 issues?

PM me please if you are interested in unloading them. (thumbs u

Thanks

All of these "variants" were destined for newsstand sales only. Some local stores in Winnipeg carried some of the newsstand versions as well as the direct market counterparts which had both prices (I know this because I purchased my Wolverine mini series off the stands in one store only to notice years later that the first issue was a newsstand price printing). I don't know of any local collectors that shun these books since they are not reprints they are just newsstand copies. Not one dealer I have seen notes any difference between the the two either and they generally sell for the same amount.

As for how "rare" they are I have heard that they comprised maybe 5% of the total print run (which includes the American, Direct, and any Pence pressings) so it would be safe to say that outside of Canada they would be fairly uncommon. IMO though this does not mean they are worth any more or less than guide.

With respect to whether or not they are variants ... it is a matter of opinion I suppose the term is vastly overused. Every printing error, price difference, etc etc gets classed under "variant" now that the term really means little. Since pence and Canadian newsstand copies were pressed in the same run with the majority American/Direct pressing they are variants. If you consider these books to not be variants even though in Canada at least at least two different version were available then the Marvel 30 and 35 cent price variants would have to be excluded since they were only marketed in a small isolated area. Even the cover price indica price differences isn't a good argument either since some of the Canadian copies do differ in this regard. When the definition of something has to be argued then clearly the term has been lost or diluted. I think pedigree has also obtained this marketing tool status now too.

In the end though it is all moot to me because I don't differentiate or value the different "editions"/"variants".

With respect to the Pence copies many folks still think they are reprints and those who don't and are interested in them still may not regularly pick them up because the shipping from the UK is a hard thing to absorb on a regular basis.

I understand the gist of what you are saying, and appreciate your opinion.

But I will reiterate my point: I collect price variants. These are not price variants.

If you want to refer to Canadian editions and UK editions as variants, fine, but they are not price variants.

No they are not price variants. They are print variants.

Like I said I really don't differentiate between the newsstand copies and direct copies. I know they are from the same print run and what it says in the price box doesn't matter to me. Store here don't differentiate either so arguing over the print difference is moot.