• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I Restore/Conserve this?

46 posts in this topic

I've never seen anything quite like this. It's some kind of "smoodge" around the lower staple on the back cover. The texture doesn't change, the paper doesn't feel brittle, and as you move into the book, it looks like an ink stain, but again no change in paper texture. The lower staple is covered in rust, so I'm guessing this is a moisture/mold problem.

Has anyone seen this before? What are your opinions on restoration/conservation? I think it would be worth it for this problem alone, I'm not looking to fix the chipping or anything else. I just want to stop the deterioration of the staple and (if it is actually happening) the paper.

FFBack.jpg

FF1.jpg

That is from the rusted staple,it's called rust migration where the rust is transferred into the paper itself from the rusted staple. I imagine this affected the entire book(cover and interior), and the staple is totally shot as well.

The only real way to fix this is to wet wash the book to try and remove what you can, and/or cut away the damaged paper that remains and fill it.

Or of not too severe just replace the staple to prevent future migration. But sometimes if the paper around the staple is too far gone the staple area will not have enough good paper left to be reinserted properly.

Getting the staple out either way is pretty important on a book like this.

Ze-

I've never seen anything quite like this. It's some kind of "smoodge" around the lower staple on the back cover. The texture doesn't change, the paper doesn't feel brittle, and as you move into the book, it looks like an ink stain, but again no change in paper texture. The lower staple is covered in rust, so I'm guessing this is a moisture/mold problem.

Has anyone seen this before? What are your opinions on restoration/conservation? I think it would be worth it for this problem alone, I'm not looking to fix the chipping or anything else. I just want to stop the deterioration of the staple and (if it is actually happening) the paper.

FFBack.jpg

FF1.jpg

If this was my book I would just replace the rusty staple.

It does go throughout the book, it's black in the center which made me wonder about ink or mold. Looking closely, I think the staple won't have much longer, so "complerely shot" is pretty accurate.

Any idea about the amount of time that would go into fixing the book properly? I don't plan on ever moving it, but I don't want to have it deteriorate further.

Replacing the staple would not be too costly in itself, but without seeing the interior paper quality it is hard to say if that is all it would take.

Does the centerfold and subsequent wraps still have a supple quality to them, or are they brittle and shot surrounding the staple area? It might just need reinforcing around the staple area on a few center wraps, and that's it.

But if you wanted to try and make it look better too, well that is a whole nuther ball o wax $$$ wise.

Ze-

All of the paper is still supple and smooth, at least as smooth as newsprint gets. At the centerfold, there is an inconsistent 1/4" halo of grey-ish discoloration around the staple. Some of it has edged into the panels on a few pages and while noticible, isn't too serious.

I quess what I'm asking is whether this migration will continue without the offending staple left in place?

Only if the book gets wet, but if the staple is removed..so is the source.

So I think it sounds like you are safe for staple replacement and good to go otherwise.

Ze-

Thank you for the input! I think I'll start saving pennies to get the staple replaced and get an estimate on the rest, if only to consider it.

To other forumites, I don't consider this a dead subject and want any and all input I can get.

Let me know what YOU think!

I say keep it as is. Send it to CGC. But you know... what do I know?

That was my first thought, but like I say, I'm worried about further deterioration.

hm

What kind of grade do you think it might pull? I'm going to call the pages off-white.

I definitely agree. This is not like pressing out a crease or doing a color touch. This is attending to a staple or staples that will contnue to degrade and migrate rust stains. Even in proper storage conditions, the paper is going to become more structurally impacted. Eventually there will be no paper there. I would get it attended to, especially because it IS a key book.

I definitely agree. This is not like pressing out a crease or doing a color touch. This is attending to a staple or staples that will contnue to degrade and migrate rust stains. Even in proper storage conditions, the paper is going to become more structurally impacted. Eventually there will be no paper there. I would get it attended to, especially because it IS a key book.

i gotta agree with all that.

i'd even consider getting the entire book itself restored. why not just go all the way? but then again, i dont know much about resto anyways