• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the most pleasant surprize that you've had

47 posts in this topic

I got the idea for this thread after reading something that Bruce wrote regarding a Hulk 180 that he bought unslabbed.

So, what was the biggest "surprize" that you recieved when you bought a book ungraded , sent it back to CGC and were blown away....

I bought an ASM 40 that this guy had on Yahoo for $150.00 ! - I was new to buying books and had never spent anything near that amount for a book EVER. So, the book comes and I send it to this new grading compnay called CGC..comes back a 9.2 with white pages !!! - 893applaud-thumb.gif Manufactured with one staple, but i didn't care...still got the book and still don't care about the staple....and when this book came back, it was at a time when the 9.2s where going in the 800 range.

You talkin' about surprised about the CGC grade or surprised about the accurately graded comic?

Oh well...I guess mine was the Conan 1 that I took a chance with a BIN at $275 on a low feedback seller and it came back at 9.6 with white pages! thumbsup2.gif

Most of my best grades were bought in person though! confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, I am talking about buying on-line mostly.....I bought a book at a store last summer for 9 bucks, figured it had a good chance at a 9.8, came back a 9.8...now in a forum members collection. - But buying sight unseen....Nextlevelmp bought an ASM 129 a few months back ungraded for 260..on Ebay....came back a 9.4...and did the "flipping thing" on Ebay for a BIN of $1100 !! thumbsup2.gif

Bought an ASM 33 off of a new seller on eBay in "NM" condition w/ a postage sized scan for 100 dollars. Got a 9.2 universal

Picked up a raw ASM 75 off of 1,000,000 Comix for only 50 dollars and amazingly it was a 9.4, even came back a CGC 9.4

Brian

Which book? The DC Superstars 2? confused-smiley-013.gif

Nah......a Batman #185 (80 pager) that I bought off eBay listed as a NM a couple of years ago. It looked pretty nice and I immediately sent it off to CGC hoping it would come back 9.0 or higher. Came back 9.0 so I was pretty happy with it. Sold it later and got all my money back (including grading fees) when I upgraded.

Mikey asked me about that DC Superstars #2 the other day. Still have it ungraded, along with a NM Superman #275 I bought from Metro. As soon as I can find one more of the books I'm looking for in nice raw condition, then I'll join up to get the 3 submission certificates so I can send them in together. thumbsup2.gif

Which book? The DC Superstars 2? confused-smiley-013.gif

Nah......a Batman #185 (80 pager) that I bought off eBay listed as a NM a couple of years ago. It looked pretty nice and I immediately sent it off to CGC hoping it would come back 9.0 or higher. Came back 9.0 so I was pretty happy with it. Sold it later and got all my money back (including grading fees) when I upgraded.

Mikey asked me about that DC Superstars 2 the other day. Still have it ungraded, along with a nice NM Superman #275 I bought from Metro. As soon as I can find one more of the books I'm looking for in nice raw condition, then I'll join up to get the 3 submission certificates so I can send them in together. thumbsup2.gif

Huh? You actually have comics? insane.gif

Your childhood copy! 893frustrated.gif

That would be #413 and I did bring it home with me from my parents over last Christmas. But I don't have a scanner and only have scans of most of my CGC books. Besides, it really is a POS copy. No cover, and the first wrap on it is pretty ragged. I can give you a scan of the CGC 9.4 copy I used to own and sold because I didn't like the "wave" that was present on the book. confused-smiley-013.gif

Your childhood copy! 893frustrated.gif

That would be #413 and I did bring it home with me from my parents over last Christmas. But I don't have a scanner and only have scans of most of my CGC books. Besides, it really is a POS copy. No cover, and the first wrap on it is pretty pretty ragged. I can give you a scan of the CGC 9.4 copy I used to own and sold because I didn't like the "wave" that was present on the book. confused-smiley-013.gif

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif My memory is fading! insane.gif

For me it was a Daredevil #43 (black cover with captain america).

I bought it raw $40 on Ebay two years ago. It was described as "MINT", and the seller was apparently not involved in comics 893crossfingers-thumb.gif.

I was afraid to receive a book between fine/very fine but i got a good surprise.

The book was really glossy, with square corners and no flaw at the spine.

I sent the book to CGC expecting a nice 9.2/9.4 and got a top census 9.6 NM+ smile.gif .

So yes, it's sometimes happened for real...

Here is the book:

dd43.jpg