• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are any of these books worth grading?

21 posts in this topic

I've been a collector for awhile but I'm new to submitting books for grading. I'm thinking about selling off a big part of my collection and any help you could give me would be appreciated.

How much would these books' values go up if they were graded? (assuming they get a cgc grade near what i grade them as).

1. hulk 182 in vf/nm

2. fantastic four 1 (golden record reprint w/out record) in vf+

3. miracleman 15 in vf to vf/nm

4. green lantern 76 in vf

5. asm 300 in vf/nm

6. asm 129 in fine

7. asm 122 in fine

I'm just not sure whether low to medium grade keys should be graded or if theyre just a waste of time. thanks for your help, john

I've been a collector for awhile but I'm new to submitting books for grading. I'm thinking about selling off a big part of my collection and any help you could give me would be appreciated.

How much would these books' values go up if they were graded? (assuming they get a cgc grade near what i grade them as).

1. hulk 182 in vf/nm

2. fantastic four 1 (golden record reprint w/out record) in vf+

3. miracleman 15 in vf to vf/nm

4. green lantern 76 in vf

5. asm 300 in vf/nm

6. asm 129 in fine

7. asm 122 in fine

I'm just not sure whether low to medium grade keys should be graded or if theyre just a waste of time. thanks for your help, john

Sell the Spideys raw. The Spidey #129 is a book you might want to flip some time soon or a little bit before the Punisher movie. The right time to sell the Hulk #182 was a few months ago when stupid money was being thrown around for IH #180 & #182. foreheadslap.gif

The FF #1 may be worth slabbing. confused-smiley-013.gif

if the GL 76 is a true VF, it may be worth it since high grades are sooooo tough on that one. I'd do the FF reprint too in 8.5, thats it really.

Ok, hi-grades on a GL 76 are tough, but is a VF tough in that book too? (Curious, 'cause I got one too)

Ok, hi-grades on a GL 76 are tough, but is a VF tough in that book too?

The census tells the tale...GL 76 Census

I am a GL collector (obviously) and it seems very difficult to come by high grade copies of this particular issue. Mine is probably a VF/NM at best and I have been looking to upgrade for sometime now with a zero success rate.

As for slabbing it to sell, if you have a true 9.0 or better I feel that you will definately make money in this book.

Just my .02

Amazingly enough, if you sold these books with a BIG DETAILED scan on eBay, you might get more than if you slabbed them. There's a reason for this that most people never mention, PAGE QUALITY.

In other words a CGC VF GL #76 with White Pages would sell for one price but one with Cream to Off-White will psell for significantly less (probably atleast 20-30% below the White page copy).

Now when people buy "RAW' comics they don't really factor in the PAGE QUALITY (and most sellers don't say much about the page quality).

My real point is even if you grade comics accurately, you need to take the page quality into your consideration when sending it in to CGC.

Now with Golden-Age or early Silver-Age, cream to off-white pages might not be considered a huge negative, but by the time you get to mid-Silver-Age and Bronze-Age books, it can mean the difference between having 5 bidders (cream to off-white) and 50 bidders (white pages) interested in your book.

Just thought this point should be brought up.

Amazingly enough, if you sold these books with a BIG DETAILED scan on eBay, you might get more than if you slabbed them. There's a reason for this that most people never mention, PAGE QUALITY.

In other words a CGC VF GL #76 with White Pages would sell for one price but one with Cream to Off-White will psell for significantly less (probably atleast 20-30% below the White page copy).

Now when people buy "RAW' comics they don't really factor in the PAGE QUALITY (and most sellers don't say much about the page quality).

My real point is even if you grade comics accurately, you need to take the page quality into your consideration when sending it in to CGC.

Now with Golden-Age or early Silver-Age, cream to off-white pages might not be considered a huge negative, but by the time you get to mid-Silver-Age and Bronze-Age books, it can mean the difference between having 5 bidders (cream to off-white) and 50 bidders (white pages) interested in your book.

Just thought this point should be brought up.

Great point . . .

DAM

that is a good point, i just know i am leery about buying 15¢ DC's in supposed VF, because raw books from that era really tend to have a lot of paper wrinkling, popped staples & cream pages. I think the cover stock was weaker then perhaps? Anyway i am looking for a VF 76 and have had to return 2 for overgrading already frown.gif

I agree that page quality is a definite variable that I had not considered, however, another variable just as important in this situation is the sellers feedback. More specifically, the amount of feedback, the type of feedback, and the ratio of negatives to positives if any.

If the seller has negatives, very few feedback, or little feedback regarding comicbook sales, will enough bidders take the chance on high dollar books to drive the price up? Now give that same seller a slabbed high dollar book and a lot of the questions can be removed. Especially if any negatives had been about grading.

A prime example is the seller loisandclark. I think that we have all dealt with them and will admit that they are one of the best eBay sellers out there. They could move a raw GL 76 with no problem and get high dollars for it as well. Now give a raw GL 76 to johnnysuckfingers with 9 total feedback that are all related to buying nintendo games and see if there is a difference.

Now give a raw GL 76 to johnnysuckfingers with 9 total feedback that are all related to buying nintendo games and see if there is a difference.

Did you purposefully give an example that was close to Khaos' eBay name?.........only difference is that his ends with "Logan" instead of "fingers".

I agree that page quality is a definite variable that I had not considered, however, another variable just as important in this situation is the sellers feedback. More specifically, the amount of feedback, the type of feedback, and the ratio of negatives to positives if any.

If the seller has negatives, very few feedback, or little feedback regarding comicbook sales, will enough bidders take the chance on high dollar books to drive the price up? Now give that same seller a slabbed high dollar book and a lot of the questions can be removed. Especially if any negatives had been about grading.

A prime example is the seller loisandclark. I think that we have all dealt with them and will admit that they are one of the best eBay sellers out there. They could move a raw GL 76 with no problem and get high dollars for it as well. Now give a raw GL 76 to johnnysuckfingers with 9 total feedback that are all related to buying nintendo games and see if there is a difference.

If you have some feedback and have big scans, to me, it doesn't matter if you have 10 feedbacks or 1000. There are plenty of 1000 feedback sellers that consistently overgrade their books.

As stated before, eBay's feedback system doesn't work.

Quite simply because if you Neg. a seller for overgrading, you are most likely going to get a Neg. yourself.

It's like you are convicted of a crime by pointing out who committed a crime.

893frustrated.gif

Shiver, he wouldn't offer you a refund on the book? If not, then he is the quintessential and deserves to get negged. And if he does retaliate, perhaps you could get it wiped off. See Rip Van Sleep's related thread in the General category.

yes i am am waiting for a retalitory neg now thanks to a seller who sold me a VG Marvel spotlight #5 as a VF/VF+. I had to neg him, because he was a total dicck and wouldn't even admit he overgraded. I had to warn others. too bad, maybe he won't strike back....

You are a good man.

You did the right thing and hopefully he won't Neg. you.

Man,

getting a Neg. and overgraded "Blue Rige pedigree books" all at the same time.

Not having a good day, are you?

Once again, you did the right thing negging someone for overgrading their books significantly.

he just negged me. I am approaching 1300 rating, and this is my 3rd neg since 1997, so i am not that worried, but it did drop my rating from 99.9 to 99.8. i will see if i can do anything. Thanks for the sympathy grin.gif

post a response to the neg stating book received was VG and not VF/VF+ as graded by the seller. state your the buyer too and not the seller, that's what i did for my only neg back in 1999. 893crossfingers-thumb.gifangel.gif