• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 1

GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 1  

300 members have voted

1. 1. GOLDEN AGE BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: Round 1

230 posts in this topic

How about google searching some of the guys work

How about putting it in the GA Thread where people actually have a clue, across the board, on this stuff.

My thoughts exactly. It's a much tougher survivor series. With so many great artists, it's going to be tough to choose.

:juggle:

i know who all of them are. except Gene Fawcette. never heard of that dude

He is kind of the odd man out on that list. I don't he should have made the cut but he's a better artist than the guy I voted to get off this first round ...

If Fawcette is on this list, then Maurice Whitman is more deserving for instance even though they are about as well as each other. In my mind, Fawcette is mostly associated with Plane strip even though he did work on other genres. Here's a Fawcette illustration -

45387-GeneFawcette-Wings10.jpg.a56f3cc2bb92c8422bb190d789cbbb65.jpg

He is kind of the odd man out on that list. I don't he should have made the cut but he's a better artist than the guy I voted to get off this first round ...

If Fawcette is on this list, then Maurice Whitman is more deserving for instance even though they are about as well as each other. In my mind, Fawcette is mostly associated with Plane strip even though he did work on other genres. Here's a Fawcette illustration -

Fawcette was by far the least known for me. I looked up several samples before giving him my vote. Whitman, if he were on the list, would not have received my first round vote. (I wouldn't have voted off Zolnerowich, Renée despite her small body of work, or Flessel either). Now I'm puzzled who on the list you regard as a weaker artist than Fawcette. Simon?

Jack

(Maybe I missed Bob Kane's name.)

I voted for Walt Kelly to leave. I'm sorry to the people that'll be upset. I, as many others here, don't have a clue who many of the nominees are. Again, the first 10 rounds, I'm just going to use a pre-emptive sorry for all of them.

Andy

Fawcette was by far the least known for me. I looked up several samples before giving him my vote. Whitman, if he were on the list, would not have received my first round vote. (I wouldn't have voted off Zolnerowich, Renée despite her small body of work, or Flessel either). Now I'm puzzled who on the list you regard as a weaker artist than Fawcette. Simon?

Jack

(Maybe I missed Bob Kane's name.)

I'd've thought Flessel would've been a certainty, and Zolnerowich's work on Planet would've also been enough for inclusion.

I wouldn't have left off Maneely, and where (if Kelly and Hogarth are included) was Milton Caniff?

adding samples of their best work might be helpful. I never heard of Fawcette, lik eI suspect many others, so seeing his work was helpful.

How's this? Nominees and results of last year's Golden Age favorites contest:

Non-superhero nominees

Non-superhero winners

Superhero nominees

Superhero winners

Some Walt Kelly favorites!

FC069.jpg

FairyTalesParade7.jpg

WDCS69.jpg

No one nominated Maurice Whitman?

ManOMars1.jpg

or John Stanley?

LittleLulu16.jpg

Jack

Thanks for the illo Scrooge!

Whitman is definitely deserving. I love Fawcette's Sci-Fi work, which is why I nominated him.

Voted Hogarth. Burne Hogarth is a wonderful artist, but he's primarily a newspaper guy. Weren't most of his books reprints of the strips? I honestly don't know.

(Fawcette courtesy of the GCD)

45402-840_4_01.jpg.972d5dce4d29f1ebee1953c27f204271.jpg

Kelly was one of the greats -- and that's without even looking at his Pogo work!

With all due respect, why are people voting out an artist without looking at examples of his (no her this time) work?

If the links I provided aren't enough, go to Grand Comic-Book Database, type in the artist's name, set the pull-down menu to Penciller, and hit Search.

Jack

(taking a contest too seriously, as usual)

Some Walt Kelly favorites!

FC069.jpg

FairyTalesParade7.jpg

Jack

Damn! Now I'm feel badly that I voted for him. Beautifully drawn.

Andy

I assumed so.

From Wikipedia:

After more than 20 years away from strip work and being hailed in Europe as "the Michelangelo of the comic strip," Hogarth returned to sequential art in 1972 with his groundbreaking Tarzan of the Apes, a large format hardbound book published by Watson Guptill in 11 languages. It marks the beginning of the sober volume of integrated pictorial fiction, what is currently understood to be a graphic novel. He followed with Jungle Tales of Tarzan (1976), integrating previously unattempted techniques such as hidden, covert, and negative space imagery with Goethe-inspired color themes into a harmonious visual description, a pinnacle of narrative art. Classes are taught examining the many innovative schemes within these two books.

I assumed so.

From Wikipedia:

After more than 20 years away from strip work and being hailed in Europe as "the Michelangelo of the comic strip," Hogarth returned to sequential art in 1972 with his groundbreaking Tarzan of the Apes, a large format hardbound book published by Watson Guptill in 11 languages. It marks the beginning of the sober volume of integrated pictorial fiction, what is currently understood to be a graphic novel. He followed with Jungle Tales of Tarzan (1976), integrating previously unattempted techniques such as hidden, covert, and negative space imagery with Goethe-inspired color themes into a harmonious visual description, a pinnacle of narrative art. Classes are taught examining the many innovative schemes within these two books.

I still don`t see from this what comic book work he did. He did lots of comic strip work and is considered one of the greats in that medium (although personally I`m not a big fan of his), but I don`t know what comic work he did other than having his Tarzan comic strips reprinted in some comics. Which shouldn`t count.

I surprised even myself by not voting Alex Schomburg off, even I think he is by far the most overrated artist of the GA. Instead, I voted against Jerry Robinson because the main reason I never got into GA Batman was I always thought the art was pretty poor.