• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvels Giant-Size 52 Pagers 1971 Tough To Find In NM GRADE!

59 posts in this topic

The current comic link auction going on right now features some PRIMO early Marvel 52 page giants!. I predict they will do very well at auction!. A few I noticed featured were a Marvel Spotlight #2 CGC 9.6!(census highest sigh!) and an Iron man #43 CGC 9.6! also a Nick Fury #17 CGC 9.6! also I noticed an X-men #67 CGC 9.6! in that auction. Should be interesting to see what these squarebound beauties go for? Lots of key books in high grade in that auction. I noticed a GL 76 in CGC 9.2 currently over $1.5K after only a day or two at auction. Stay tuned! for what these keys will go for(smile).

The current comic link auction going on right now features some PRIMO early Marvel 52 page giants!. I predict they will do very well at auction!. A few I noticed featured were a Marvel Spotlight #2 CGC 9.6!(census highest sigh!) and an Iron man #43 CGC 9.6! also a Nick Fury #17 CGC 9.6! also I noticed an X-men #67 CGC 9.6! in that auction. Should be interesting to see what these squarebound beauties go for?

There are really two distinct groupings of Marvel 52 pagers. One group consists of the reprint books like Fury and X-Men. Perhaps the 1971 annuals belong in this group also, since they have no original stories. The other group has the regular Marvel titles during the price increase from 15 cents. After just one month at 25 cent giant issues mixing reprints with new stories, the 20 cent era began.

The two groupings create an interesting collecting dichotomy. The reprint books lacking new material, excepting the occasional new cover, are more rare in ultra high grade than the books with new material. While I personally would pay alot more for the giants with new material, the scarcity of high grade reprints does seem to ensure some astounding prices for top census copies.

Yes,

I agree the reprint 52 pager 25 centers of the early 70s do appear tougher for the most part to find in true high grade. I recall seeing a Hulk Special #4 CGC 9.4 go for $425.00! on pedigree comics about a half a year ago if I remember correctly? I was floored by that sale because it guided for JUST $32.00 in 9.2 grade at the time . Do the multipules of guide on that sale? Theres only ONE CGC 9.8 of the book and ZERO CGC 9.6s graded on the census. Truly a tough red covered squarebound 52 pager to find in better than CGC 9.4 wish I had one(smile).

Marvel 52 pager early 70s checklist

Amazing spider-man #102

Astonishing Tales #8

Avengers #93

Avengers Special #5

Captain America #143

Captain America Special #2

Chamber of Darkness Special #1

Chili Special #1

Conan #10,#11

Daredevil #81

Daredevil Special #2,#3

Fantastic Four #116

Fear #5,#6

Incredible Hulk #145

Incredible Hulk Special #4

Iron Man #43

Iron Man Special #2

Kid Colt #156

Mad About Miliie Annual #1

Marvel Feature #1,#2

Marvels Greatest Comics #34

Marvel Spotlight #2

Marvel Tales #33

Marvel Triple Action #1

Mighty Marvel Western #15,#16

Millie The model #192

Millie The Model Annual #10

Monsters On The Prowl #13,#14

My Love #14

My Love Special #1`

Nick Fury Agent Of Shield #16,#17,#18( #16 Marvels (FIRST) 52 pager squarebound comic of the bronze age-----cover dated November 1970)

Our Love Story #13

Outlaw Kid #8

Rawhide Kid #92,#93

Ringo Kid #12

SGT. Fury #92

SGT. Fury Special #7

Special Marvel Edition #4

Sub-Mariner #43

Sub-Mariner Special #2

Thor #193

Thor Special #4

Tower Of Shadows Special #1

Western Gunfighters #7

Where Monsters Dwell #13

X-men #67,#68,#69,#70,#72

X-men Special #2

Is this set ofn the registry???

But that's for the TRUE 25-cent Picture Frame books, not all those weirdo reprints, specials, giants, and other random stuff from the early-70's.

They really need to be separated out, as not everything with a 25-cent cover is the same.

That is true. The 52 Pager set is for 52 page picture frame books. What someone really needs to do is submit a comprehensive picture frame list 20 cent and 25 cent for the Registry. That may even have you registering some books. lol

Thanks. But the picture frames seem's to be a sub-set of the 52 page set (shrug)

Nope, these are a totally different entity, and were supposed to be the start of a new format for Marvel.

Those other 25-cent books (less than half the list) are just anomalies, reprints, specials, giant-size books, etc. which is why they''re not included. There is no real common bond between them, and these never crossed over to all titles.

Thanks. But the picture frames seem's to be a sub-set of the 52 page set (shrug)

Nope, these are a totally different entity, and were supposed to be the start of a new format for Marvel.

Those other 25-cent books (less than half the list) are just anomalies, reprints, specials, giant-size books, etc. which is why they''re not included. There is no real common bond between them, and these never crossed over to all titles.

Admittedly looking at Mark Arrands #1 set, there was a lot of books I didn't recognise, simply because they were reprint books. slightly OT, those books in themselves must be rare in grade (shrug)

So am I wrong in thinking it would be nice to have the full 52 pager Marvel set there... like the DC one (shrug)

So am I wrong in thinking it would be nice to have the full 52 pager Marvel set there... like the DC one (shrug)

But there already is, the Marvel 25-cent Picture Frames. That's the Marvel version of the DC books, and the rest are just.... the rest... and maybe those random issues should be grouped on their own?

Personally, I don't see any real "common bond" between them, especially as they just hit a few titles here and there, with a lot of reprints.

The true 25 cent 52 pagers...

Marvel 52 pager early 70s checklist

Amazing spider-man #102 Yes

Astonishing Tales #8 Yes

Avengers #93 Yes

Avengers Special #5 No

Captain America #143 Yes

Captain America Special #2 No

Chamber of Darkness Special #1 No

Chili Special #1 No

Conan #10,#11 Yes

Daredevil #81 Yes

Daredevil Special #2,#3 No

Fantastic Four #116 Yes

Fear #5,#6 No to #5/Yes to #6

Incredible Hulk #145 Yes

Incredible Hulk Special #4 No

Iron Man #43 Yes

Iron Man Special #2 No

Kid Colt #156 Yes

Mad About Miliie Annual #1 No

Marvel Feature #1,#2 No

Marvels Greatest Comics #34 No

Marvel Spotlight #2 Yes

Marvel Tales #33 No

Marvel Triple Action #1 Yes

Mighty Marvel Western #15,#16 No

Millie The model #192 Yes

Millie The Model Annual #10 No

Monsters On The Prowl #13,#14 No to #13/Yes to #14

My Love #14 Yes

My Love Special #1` No

Nick Fury Agent Of Shield #16,#17,#18( #16 Marvels (FIRST) 52 pager squarebound comic of the bronze age-----cover dated November 1970) No

Our Love Story #13 Yes

Outlaw Kid #8 Yes

Rawhide Kid #92,#93 Yes to both

Ringo Kid #12 Yes

SGT. Fury #92 Yes

SGT. Fury Special #7 No

Special Marvel Edition #4 Yes

Sub-Mariner #43 Yes

Sub-Mariner Special #2 No

Thor #193 Yes

Thor Special #4 No

Tower Of Shadows Special #1 No

Western Gunfighters #7 Yes

Where Monsters Dwell #13 Yes

X-men #67,#68,#69,#70,#72 No

X-men Special #2 No

Discuss...

Jim

What's your criteria? Reprint vs. non?

To me, any type of 'common thread" trend has to run through virtually all the titles simultaneously, like the 25-cent Giants of November 1971. Random books before (X-Men) or after (Avengers Special 5) shouldn't be included.

What's your criteria? Reprint vs. non?

To me, any type of 'common thread" trend has to run through virtually all the titles simultaneously, like the 25-cent Giants of November 1971. Random books before (X-Men) or after (Avengers Special 5) shouldn't be included.

Intent mainly...the new format 25 cent Marvels started in Nov/Dec 1971 issues (with a smattering of Oct issues). Really doesn't matter if they're reprint of not. I think the important thing was the intent to go GS vs. their traditional 32 page format. Some GS issues make the cut if they dramatically altered their cover format to accommodate (i.e pic frame format) and met the timeframe.

Take the monster books for example. The typical old school layout 25 centers didn't make the cut whereas the ones with the pic frame and new art (vs. reprinted cover) did. Some pic frames didn't make the cut because they were released too late (MF #2 for example). Also, Conan and Rawhide had two 25 cent issues and both make the cut since it was clearly the intent of Marvel to go with the bigger format and those started a month early. None of the Specials make the cut since they only mimicked the general 25 cent format of the annuals...

Jim

Nick Fury #16 and X-men #67 are VERY significant because they are the two earliest Marvel 52 pager squarebound issues Marvel released back then. Nick Fury #17 is cover dated a month later than X-men #67. Look how many months earlier Marvel went to a 52 page format compared to DC-----actually 8 months earlier. I dont think Nick Fury #16 is graded higher than a CGC 9.4 on the census? I could use one in CGC 9.8(smile)

Nick Fury #16 and X-men #67 are VERY significant because they are the two earliest Marvel 52 pager squarebound issues Marvel released back then. Nick Fury #17 is cover dated a month later than X-men #67. Look how many months earlier Marvel went to a 52 page format compared to DC. About 8 months earlier. I dont think any Nick Fury #16s are graded higher than a CGC 9.4 on the census am I right? I could use one in CGC 9.8(smile)

I have both in 9.6, but obtaining them was a small feat in it self. From the NF collectors perspective at the time, there was such a large time gap from issue #15, then they were reprints, albeit the earliest Strange Tales apperances of Nick. I think the delay, the price rise would of lost many of the earlier collectors of the run, even with the good work done on the covers, and overall production of those issues.

As for finding a 9.8... there are none to date for 16,17,18, and the census numbers are positively famished compared to the rest of the run. :sorry:

I have both in 9.6, but obtaining them was a small feat in it self. From the NF collectors perspective at the time, there was such a large time gap from issue #15, then they were reprints, albeit the earliest Strange Tales apperances of Nick.

This was no "delay" or "time gap", the series was canceled, and then Marvel decided to see if it could eke out a few more dollars with some cheap reprints. doh!