• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Van Halen

83 posts in this topic

Going to see VH at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday, Nov. 13. Bought a block of 6 lower level tickets; Vincent Z. at Metropolis has claimed a couple of them and I'm keeping two, but I still have a couple of extras for sale at cost if any local Forumites are interested in going with us (no, you do not need to wear a kilt :P ). PM me if interested. :headbang:

Gene

I was a big Van Halen fan during the late 70's and early 80's. Saw them in concert maybe 5 times. I played guitar in a rock band and we did a few VH cover songs in our sets. I lived in Shreveport, LA at the time and Valerie Bertinelli's dad worked at the GM plant there, so Eddie and Valerie would be in town occasionally visiting family. Eddie would pop up unannounced into the local night clubs and get up on stage and jam with the local bands. I was at a nightclub one night watching a friend's band play. I had to go to the restroom and was at a urinal relieving myself, when Eddie walks up and proceeds to do the same in the next stall. Here was my favorite guitar god 2 feet away from me. I wanted to tell him I was a big fan, ask him technical questions about his guitar gear, etc. but the best I could muster was "Hey, how's it going?" to which he replied "Hey". And that was the extent of my meeting Eddie Van Halen in person. I did get to watch him jam for about an hour in a small venue, so it was still a cool experience.

(thumbs u

At least you didn't pee on his shoes.....

I agree, Eddie's guitar playing is (was?) out of this world.

Being a huge fan, did you ever have a copy of the mini-LP of Brian May's Starfleet Project, which featured Brian May, Alan Gratzer, Eddie VH, Phil Chen, and a few other people? Amazing stuff, just raw and full of energy -- especially Eddie's riffs and solos. One of my favorite EVH collaborations of all time. :cloud9:

Ahhhh Motorhead, Have seem them many many times, as a opening act and once at L'Amours East. However, it's pretty hard to listen them over and over again without wanting to stick you head in a lawnmower and turn it on.

I pretty much covered many of the metal genres over the years but have seen many of the bands listed below

Accept

AC/DC - opened for Ozzy

Armored Saint

Bad Company

Black Sabbath - The 1st Heaven/Hell tour

Blue Oyster Cult

Deep Purple

Disturbed

Iron Maiden - 1st show I saw they opened for Judas Priest at the Palladium

Judas Priest

Korn

Metallica - saw as a opening act for Vandenburg

MSG (Michael Schenker)

Ted Nugent

Ozzy

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow

Rush

Scorpians

Triumph

UFO

Van Halen

And then again I've seen

Blackfoot/Outlaws

Doobie Brothers/Dixie Dregs opened

To appear "normal" to some of my friends in High school

Foreigner/Johnny Winter opened

Journey at the Palladium/Sweet opened

Kansas/Rick Derringer opened

Styx

Yes

ZZ Top

Not sure what this falls into

Be Bop Deluxe

Cheap Trick - Dream Police tour

Queen

Ahhhh Motorhead, Have seem them many many times, as a opening act and once at L'Amours East. However, it's pretty hard to listen them over and over again without wanting to stick you head in a lawnmower and turn it on.

I pretty much covered many of the metal genres over the years but have seen many of the bands listed below

Accept

AC/DC - opened for Ozzy

Armored Saint

Bad Company

Blue Oyster Cult

Deep Purple

Disturbed

Judas Priest

Korn

MSG (Michael Schenker)

Ted Nugent

Ozzy

Rush

Scorpians

Triumph

UFO

Van Halen

And then again I've seen

Blackfoot/Outlaws

Styx

Yes

ZZ Top

Be Bop Deluxe

Queen

Ha! You have good taste, Bob...we've seen just about the same groups. Here's a couple more I've seen...

Y&T

Queensrÿche

Loudness

Thin Lizzy

Dio

Page & Plant

Robert Plant

That's just off the top of my head. I need to break out all my old concert stubs (kept them all) to refresh the 'ol thought locker.

BTW... seen Schenker with UFO for two nights in '98 at a small club in San Jose, CA. The shows were incredible...Phil Mogg sounded great and Schenker was absolutely incredible.

Motorhead!!!! :headbang: One of the best bands in music!!!!! Lemmy is God!!!! I have seen them a bunch of times!!! Ace of spades and Iron fist are enough to get me running up a wall!

List of shows!!! i have a great frame in my house with over 100 used metal show tickets in it. Anyone who comes over my house love to look at it. i might have enough tickets again to fill up another frame!!! talking about old school metal...I just saw Overkill sat. night in Jersey!! :headbang:

Accept

AC/DC - opened for Ozzy

Armored Saint

Bad Company

Blue Oyster Cult

Deep Purple

Disturbed

Judas Priest

Korn

MSG (Michael Schenker)

Ted Nugent

Ozzy

Rush

Scorpians

Triumph

UFO

Van Halen

And then again I've seen

Blackfoot/Outlaws

Styx

Yes

ZZ Top

Be Bop Deluxe

Queen

I saw them both on that tour at the Orpheum in Boston - great show. They were touring in support of Killers and had Paul Di'anno on vocals. Priest had that wretched Point of Entry out, but avoided most of it and stuck to the classics. I've got a tape of that Palladium show, too.

s_hagar306-19-02.jpg

Better Than Dave

Agreed... :applause:

Sorry but you guys are wacked. Diamond Dave has more charisma in his pinky toe that that Red turd. Always bothered me how he went out of his way to slag Roth when realy he should have kept his mouth shut. To Dave's credit he never really responded and slagged his old band members when he had every right to. This is the real VanHallen and this tour will be the hottest of the year thanks to Dave.

Accept

AC/DC - opened for Ozzy

Armored Saint

Bad Company

Blue Oyster Cult

Deep Purple

Disturbed

Judas Priest

Korn

MSG (Michael Schenker)

Ted Nugent

Ozzy

Rush

Scorpians

Triumph

UFO

Van Halen

And then again I've seen

Blackfoot/Outlaws

Styx

Yes

ZZ Top

Be Bop Deluxe

Queen

Bob, we must be about the same age.

My first concert was the Doobie Brothers but my musical tastes were always metal-oriented, although I did get into some of the 80s "new music" like Devo and others. And I went to see some bands I'm not so proud of, but hey sometimes you gotta throw the girlfriend a bone.

Here's a not-so-complete list of bands I have seen live, but it's most of the good ones (that I can remember.... :grin: ) :headbang:

.38 Special

AC/DC

Aerosmith

Aldo Nova

April Wine

Asia

Blue Oyster Cult

Bon Jovi

Cheap Trick

Cinderella

Def Leppard

Devo

Dio (Ronnie James)

Dokken

Doobie Brothers

Electric Light Orchestra

Eric Clapton

GirlsSchool

Great White

Iron Maiden

Joan Jett

Judas Priest

Kiss

Krokus

Metallica

Michael Schenker Group

Motley Crue

Ozzie Osbourne

Plasmatics (Wendy O Williams, RIP)

Poison

Queensryche

Quiet Riot

Ratt

Rick Springfield (uh, sometimes you make sacrifices for the g/f lol )

Scorpions

Skid Row

Stevie Ray Vaughan (RIP, what a great musician)

Ted Nugent

Triumph

The Tubes (amazing show!)

UFO

Van Halen

Whitesnake

The Who

Yngwe Malmsteen

And after typing up this list, I now understand why my hearing is starting to go at such a young age.... lol(shrug):headbang:

Yes, Motorhead is very loud live. Has anyone seen Manowar live???? Now that is Super loud!!!! Other bands play....Manowar kills!!!!

Saw Moterhead live and it was so loud I couldn't answer the phone at work the next day because I couldn't hear lol no lie. The ringing in my head finally stopped later that afternoon.

Manowar is a GREAT band. Shellshocked is one of my favorite tunes. But I have NOT seen them live. I'd like to!

Yes, Motorhead is very loud live. Has anyone seen Manowar live???? Now that is Super loud!!!! Other bands play....Manowar kills!!!!

Saw Moterhead live and it was so loud I couldn't answer the phone at work the next day because I couldn't hear lol no lie. The ringing in my head finally stopped later that afternoon.

:headbang: Been a Manowar fan for years!!! They try and make your ears bleed live its so loud!!! First time i saw them i thought they would perform in loincloths...i was happy when i saw they were wearing pants!!! lol

Manowar is a GREAT band. Shellshocked is one of my favorite tunes. But I have NOT seen them live. I'd like to!