• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEULING NEW YORK CITY COMICONS 1968-1984

43 posts in this topic

I went to Phil Seuling local shows at the Commodore Hotel (Now known as the Roosevelt) in 1973/74.

My 1st show I bought a FF #2 in VF from Michael Carbonaro for $60.

1st time I set up at a Phil Sueling show my table consisted of books underneath clear plastic. Display rack lol, never had one.

The equivalent of a dollar box was the 10cent box/25cent box. FF's in the 30's sold for $3 each. I would buy them at Phil's show for $3 and sell them to kids in the neighborhood for $4. Bought my first high grade Hulk #1 for $200, sold it a year later for $250. $100 bought a lot of nice books back then.

Attended his monthly shows through 1977.

To compare a show back then to one today picture a modern dealers table with stacks of books on the table. Only difference back then was that those dealer stacks were FF #48's or Conan #1's.

I went to Bob Horn's Serendipity shows in Philly (King of Prussia) for years. He semi-retired and stopped doing the shows. He kept his shop in the church basement (Capt Blue Hen). He is a pretty good guy. Always friendly to me. He was a little tougher at the shows because he was responsible for taking care of things.

I don't know what happened at the NYC show. I suspect he wanted a chair for his wife. Bob didn't sit down very much. His whole family worked on the shows in Philly and the boys were pretty good collectors too. Anyway, thanks Bob for all of the great shows and the nice All Star comics you sold me. And thanks for inviting Don Rosa to your show. He did a great on the Donald Duck original art I asked for.

If you went, then I'd probably recognize you because I went to every single one for years...