• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damage In Holder

60 posts in this topic

Has this book become damaged in the CGC case? I'm including a scan, I never noticed this before and I'm hoping this was something that CGC allowed in the grade. It looks worse than it is. It's only 1/4 wide and 1/32 high. This book is graded 9.4 and the case looks perfect with no damage.

cgce1192512846459.jpg

Hopefully this is just allowed in the grade.

Thanks,

Mark

I just bought a bunch of recently graded moderns from the early 1980's - the holders do not have the ridges you see in this picture. I think CGC is no longer using a slab that has these types of ridges....

What a shame - what to do now...

CGC has two types of holders. The modern holder you are mentioned is for books post 1975 and uses a tapered innerwell seam sealed to secure the book. The innerwell/holder your Strange Tales book sits in is a blunt walled holder used for all older books due to the possibility of the cover pulling away from the staples due to the friction cause by the tapered seamed holder.(supposedly)

Glad to hear you might be reimbursed for the book. But sorry it got a boo boo, it is always a bummer to see a book get dinged.

Good luck

Ze-

But why are there those little gaps at the corners? Did CGC ever explain that?

Just from a purely physics POV, having open corners like that put far more pressure on the effected area, as opposed to a perfectly straight edge whereby the entire comic would share the impact.

But why are there those little gaps at the corners? Did CGC ever explain that?

Just from a purely physics POV, having open corners like that put far more pressure on the effected area, as opposed to a perfectly straight edge whereby the entire comic would share the impact.

I believe those open areas were created to avoid blunted corners, especially mis cut books(?), and the unfortunate/obvious side effect is the book can get dinged elsewhere. Overall the holder does it's job, I just wish it was foolproof. But we are talking about old books made from newsprint.

And I will be first in line with my better holder to sell to CGC,that is if I can ever think one up. hm

Ze-

No way that damage is allowed on a 9.4 book. It is a problem The CGC has but doesn't readily admit too.... SCBS Shaken Comic Book Syndrome!!!!!! That damage happened in the slab!!!!!!!

Might as well use all caps . . . . :insane:

I called CGC back to get an address and got another person that gave me a slightly different story regarding making this right. I'll keep you posted as to what happens. This happened to me once before but it was due to a shipping problem. The book got jarred really hard and it was obvious the shipping had caused the problem. This however is a little different in that the damage is minor but enough to downgrade and the case was virtually perfect and Mile High's shipping was flawless (some of the best I've seen). I don't believe this is their fault but I'm also left a with a sinking feeling that I'm going to get stuck. I called Mile High and they said they've "never seen this before" - not sure if I believe that but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. CGC makes lots of money, Mile High makes truckloads, hopefully I don't get stuck holding the bag - the consumer usually does though. I did get a good deal - $112 (no tax or shipping) for a White Page 9.4 Strange Tales 138 that was perfectly centered - what a shame!!!! Why could this not have been a Civil War Variant #4 that I paid $19 for...

I'll update in a week or so. I returned it to CGC today, I did not want to make this someone else's problem.

Thanks for the insight!

Has this book become damaged in the CGC case? I'm including a scan, I never noticed this before and I'm hoping this was something that CGC allowed in the grade. It looks worse than it is. It's only 1/4 wide and 1/32 high. This book is graded 9.4 and the case looks perfect with no damage.

cgce1192512846459.jpg

Hopefully this is just allowed in the grade.

Thanks,

Mark

Admittedly, it appears to be SSS, but who's fault is it? And does it really matter? The problem I have with whining like this, is if this bothers you as much as it appears, then you have other personal issues to deal with that are more important than the grade of a comic book. An incidental depression to the edge of a comic book, should not affect its value or desirability. :sumo:

On the question of fault, yes, the inner well is not perfect, but I think the other concerns it addresses override the occasional dimple. Just cherish the freakin' book as it deserves to be cherished, and quit yer' whinin' :devil: