• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA BEST ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES POLL: RD.11

GA ARTISTS POLL  

237 members have voted

1. 1. GA ARTISTS POLL

83 posts in this topic

Are you guys still talking about funny books?

In a round-about way: yes. The GA artists were largely influenced by the masters. (Both illustration and classical painting.) IMO that masters' influence is lessened twords the end of the Silver Age as the next generation of artists learned to draw not from the classics, but from comics themselves.

That Ingres painting is spectacular :o(worship)

Over-rated!

meh

Ha! The debate does rage on.

Well, since both of you cats are in the midwest, zip on down to the Art Institute of Chicago. I don't think their Ingres paintings are on display, but they do have this nifty little Delacroix on the wall.

http://www.artic.edu/artaccess/AA_Rococo/pages/7delacroix_lg1.shtml

In a round-about way: yes. The GA artists were largely influenced by the masters. (Both illustration and classical painting.) IMO that masters' influence is lessened twords the end of the Silver Age as the next generation of artists learned to draw not from the classics, but from comics themselves.

Maybe this is the best place for these, rather than hijacking Bangzoom's thread.

Done by Tony Gleeson, a very talented freelance artist in LA. (Contact information available if you'd like to hire him for a project!)

First, a couple of Golden (or at least Atomic) Age covers by Crandall.

46657-RC_Pir02s.jpg

46656-RC_Pir03s.jpg

Next, three (relatively) modern examples that suggest that not all later artists are hacks that only draw inspiration from other comic books.

46658-HC_BH03s.jpg

46659-BS_EA02s.jpg

46660-BS_EA04s.jpg

Jack

That Ingres painting is spectacular :o(worship)

Over-rated!

meh

Ha! The debate does rage on.

Well, since both of you cats are in the midwest, zip on down to the Art Institute of Chicago. I don't think their Ingres paintings are on display, but they do have this nifty little Delacroix on the wall.

It's been a while since I've been to the Art Institute. Planning to visit the Museum of Contemporary Art in December, though.

Excellent and thought-provoking points.

Interesting theory. But surely there was a thriving popular art tradition prior to the GA artists for them to be influenced by too? (shrug)

Interesting theory. But surely there was a thriving popular art tradition prior to the GA artists for them to be influenced by too? (shrug)

Certainly. Howard Pyle, NC Wyeth, Hal Foster, etc.

Maybe this is the best place for these, rather than hijacking Bangzoom's thread.

Done by Tony Gleeson, a very talented freelance artist in LA. (Contact information available if you'd like to hire him for a project!)

First, a couple of Golden (or at least Atomic) Age covers by Crandall.

Next, three (relatively) modern examples that suggest that not all later artists are hacks that only draw inspiration from other comic books.

Jack

First of all, Thanks Jack (and Tony) great stuff.

Secondly, I wasn't calling the next generation hacks, nor did I mean to imply that they were. I'm just saying that's where they learned to draw, and that foundation is reflected in their art.

Jack

Secondly, I wasn't calling the next generation hacks, nor did I mean to imply that they were. I'm just saying that's where they learned to draw, and that foundation is reflected in their art.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come on so strong or put words in your mouth.

My point was that some later comic-book artists DIDN'T learn to draw from only from comic books, and they're head and shoulders above those that did.

Jack

I've been there several times but can't say that I recall that particular painting but I like it. Collecting GA books, pulps and reproductions from the classical era of illustration has led me to appreciate more and more the great masters.

If anyone wants to have a look at the changing times in European paintings in the later part of the XIXth century, I highly recommend The Judgment of Paris: The Revolutionary Decade that Gave the World Impressionism by Ross King which covers the evolution of art styles and preferences from the 1860's to the turn of the XXth century. It's a wonderful book that meshes art history (both appreciation and techniques) with European history and biography (Manet and Meissonier are the primary actors in the story).

Wow, can you imagine Marvel Mystery covers drawn by Lou Fine? Captain America covers by Frazetta (think Buck Rogers)?

What a swell idea. That got me thinking about possibilities that never were ... but then I stopped when I pictured what a Martin Filchock Human Torch cover would look like :sick:

Fletcher Hanks Captain America!!!!

:luhv:

If only.....

The funny part of this is that the book title is one of the best I have ever seen and relates to our conversation. The Judgment of Paris has two meanings:

1) it's a rather well-known Greek mythology event when Paris (of Helen of Troy and Paris) is asked by two goddesses to declare which is the prettiest / fairest. Right there, you know that Paris is a hapless soul since he can't win by picking either one and that his fate and the fall of Troy falls squarely on his picking the wrong one. That being said, it is a scene that has been illustrated countless time during the Renaissance. Manet is familiar with some of these representations and he swipes one of the masters poses for a painting of his (either Olympia or The Dejeuner sur l'Herbe, can't recall right now) and

2) he enters the painting to the Paris Salon in the 1860's where his work outrages the jury so much that his work is not accepted for presentation at the Salon. Yet, the judges were so ruthless that they reject such a high percentage of entries that the Emperor allows for a competing Salon to be put up to exhibit those works the jury rejected from the official selection. This alternative Salon becomes known as the Salon des Refuses.

Hence Manet's Judgment of Paris swipes ends up part of the Judgment of Paris (the Salon).

The book gets better from there!

Jack

Sorry, I didn't mean to come on so strong or put words in your mouth.

My point was that some later comic-book artists DIDN'T learn to draw from only from comic books, and they're head and shoulders above those that did.

Jack

Right on man.

The funny part of this is that the book title is one of the best I have ever seen and relates to our conversation. The Judgment of Paris has two meanings:

1) it's a rather well-known Greek mythology event when Paris (of Helen of Troy and Paris) is asked by two goddesses to declare which is the prettiest / fairest. Right there, you know that Paris is a hapless soul since he can't win by picking either one and that his fate and the fall of Troy falls squarely on his picking the wrong one. That being said, it is a scene that has been illustrated countless time during the Renaissance. Manet is familiar with some of these representations and he swipes one of the masters poses for a painting of his (either Olympia or The Dejeuner sur l'Herbe, can't recall right now) and

2) he enters the painting to the Paris Salon in the 1860's where his work outrages the jury so much that his work is not accepted for presentation at the Salon. Yet, the judges were so ruthless that they reject such a high percentage of entries that the Emperor allows for a competing Salon to be put up to exhibit those works the jury rejected from the official selection. This alternative Salon becomes known as the Salon des Refuses.

Hence Manet's Judgment of Paris swipes ends up part of the Judgment of Paris (the Salon).

Thanks Scrooge! That's great. I'll definitely pick up this book.

That sounds very interesting, Scrooge. I'll have to check it out. hm

BTW, Schomburg for me this round, though obviously it's going to be Wally getting the boot.

Jeff