• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #122 CGC 9.6...oh, how the mighty have fallen

53 posts in this topic

Give me your opinion on my solution for sellers/buyers and paypal. Funny that this happened after I welcomed bugaboo on these boards by berating him and him proving me wrong on this topic, but...

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I offer paypal via credit card (darthdiesel@yahoo.com) in my auctions. However, I also let it be known that I have a "personal" use paypal acct (cdelacruz@cox.net) that I encourage those with enough in their paypal balance or those with their paypal funds coming directly from a bank acct to use.

I don't charge anything extra for using the credit card paypal account, therefore not affecting what the buyer would pay me either way. So I'm flexible and the way I see it, why eat the paypal fees if you don't have too?

You let people know that you accept all forms of Paypal payments but prefer Paypal balance or bank account transfers over the credit card payments if possible. I think that's the best way to legally do it. thumbsup2.gif

Key thing is to clarify that you have two separate accts. The merchant account/premier account gets nailed with fees regardless of the source of payment, credit, balance or bank funds. So you want to make sure to hold their hands and tell em how much your personal Paypal account wants to make your bank funds/balance's acquaintance smile.gifcloud9.gif

From commanding $2,000+ as recently as last November to a measly $800 now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2192403266&category=33819&rd=1

Did I really once pay $2,126.96 for this book?? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Ah well...I don't regret the buy...I would have lived the past 504 days feeling incomplete without it!! Anyway, I've said all along that I knew I was going to lose big money on this book (I bought it with discretionary funds with no intent to *ever* re-sell). Looks like I was right (as always). smirk.gifgrin.gif

Gene

hey, if overpaying for 9.6's makes you happy then more power to you....signed gman

foreheadslap.gif should have known someone with as big of an ego as yours was always right...sorry my bad

hey, if overpaying for 9.6's makes you happy then more power to you....

If I really wanted to lose some major coin, I would have bought an ASM #14 CGC 9.4 during the Spidey craze of 2001-2002... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Gene

What's funny is that I got into an argument with Procrustean once (who claims to have a dozens of copies of #122) about the future price of the book. Don't remember if this was before or after I purchased my 9.6 copy, but I told him flat-out that the book had virtually zero price appreciation potential from current levels in the $2,000s, to which he laughed that if I was waiting for this book to ever hit $1,000, it was never going to happen. I guess he and I have a very different definition of "never"... 27_laughing.gif

Even if this copy did sell "under the radar", there have been a couple of sales in the $1,200 range as well... foreheadslap.gif

Gene

Even if this copy did sell "under the radar", there have been a couple of sales in the $1,200 range as well... foreheadslap.gif Gene

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but ejaenter is a serious seller, and is virtually a forum God for having so many high-grade copies for sale. Each week, he's the subject of a thread where forumites oooh and aaah over his latest auctions.

Now with this in mind, how can anyone state this auction fell "under the radar"? How in the world could any seller get more forum exposure than this guy? This "oh, I missed that" or "my dog ate my PC" excuses are just that, excuses.

If you wanted the book, it was there for the taking, in plain view and sold by one of EBay's best-known, ultra-high grade sellers. It's not like this book was hiding under a rock, and if If you were serious about buying it, why put your money on the line instead of flapping your mouth?

If I really wanted to lose some major coin, I would have bought an ASM #14 CGC 9.4 during the Spidey craze of 2001-2002... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Gene

27_laughing.gif your an idoit,that 14 will be and is worth more than your 9.6 122. But I suppose the 14 isn't what it used to be on ebay right? since ebay is the market.. I lost $$ right?

Even if this copy did sell "under the radar", there have been a couple of sales in the $1,200 range as well... foreheadslap.gif

Gene

Jason Ewert would have to TRY to sell something "under the radar..." I imagine he's one of the most closely watched sellers on ebay for CGC buyers.

I offer paypal via credit card (darthdiesel@yahoo.com) in my auctions. However, I also let it be known that I have a "personal" use paypal acct (cdelacruz@cox.net) that I encourage those with enough in their paypal balance or those with their paypal funds coming directly from a bank acct to use.

That's the correct way to do it, and if I had a balance when paying, I'd definitely cut you some slack and pay that way. You basically have two cakes; one to eat and the other so you can have it too.

If you have a balance on your Paypal account you have no choice but to use it before you're allowed to use a CC.

Jason Ewert would have to TRY to sell something "under the radar..." I imagine he's one of the most closely watched sellers on ebay for CGC buyers.

There's always an excuse when prices don't match speculator's expectations. Otherwise, they'd actually have to admit losing money on some previous sales 893whatthe.gif, and we all know that ain't gonna happen.

I'm really surprised at how far ASM 122 has fallen. I don't know if it's because Marvel brought back GG (ASM 121 is holding up better) or just because the movie machine ain't cranking them out like they used to.

I was following an ASM 122 8.0 Canuck auction, and the ending price (reserve not met) didn't hit $80. That's creepy.

Gene

that 14 will be and is worth more than your 9.6 122.

obvious.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gif

If you have a balance on your Paypal account you have no choice but to use it before you're allowed to use a CC.

Well Duh! When I want to pay by CC, I first just initiate a bank transfer, and then a payment Works like a charm.

That's the correct way to do it, and if I had a balance when paying, I'd definitely cut you some slack and pay that way. You basically have two cakes; one to eat and the other so you can have it too.

Unless you withdraw it to your bank account first... simple bypass. I never leave balance in there anyway. I transfer it out to a non-Paypal connected account in with the same bank. If I need it balance for any reason, I can transfer money back into the paypal connected account with my bank's online tools and then send... thus never leaving too much cash exposed to Paypal directly or being forced to send balance when I want the protection of a CC.

Gene

Clearly, Ewert's auctions are highly visible and watched. The book did not go under anyone's radar in terms of being available. In fact, as I mentioned earlier in this thread... it was listed before and ended only a little higher without meeting reserve.

Surely this book has lost value/appeal currently as other sales have shown.

The last 3 actual sales were for... $898- 7/17 • $1,000- 6/8 • $1,701- 5/19. More importantly, 6 out of the last 10 ASM 122 9.6 auctions ended at varying prices with reserves not met (probably sellers looking for $1.7K plus). Anyway, the data shows diminishing interest/demand and current buyer uncertainty as to its current value. That high of a percentage of RNM's on a single book has to have an effect on those in the market for it. It also gives a false representation of supply since several of those were the same book offered a few times. If buyers see the same book always listed... some naturally think there are more of them than is the case and there will be ample opportunity. If the book is also not meeting reserve a few times then buyers tend to pull back their bidding being cautious as well as hoping to steal one... and a downward trend can snowball. Just curious, anyone notice any other books with a similar trend?

Also... a "shilling" seller in the "General Section" was brought up having sold a large supply of this book and other key ASMs... X-Men 94... and GS 1, etc. Maybe that has had a partial (albeit small) impact as well?. Even so, I would imagine the prices would not be much different regardless... just a small consideration of note.

Another thing I will point out, and its certainly NOT offered as explanation for the low sale ... but with sellers that typically use higher reserves closer to past (perceived) FMV (and/or on relisted books that didn't reach reserve prior)... "sometimes" the opportunity to recognize a possible deal due to a lowered (sometimes drastically) reserve is not obvious and will be missed by some. I'm in the market for an ASM 122 9.6 in the $800 or less range (that looks as nice as that one), but it never occurred to me that the reserve would be so low even with the current trend. Thus, I did not pay attention to it. There was so many other sweet books to watch too that are not offered as often, that the opportunity to nab it at a nice price did escape my notice. Probably a few others as well.

Another thing I will point out, and its certainly NOT offered as explanation for the low sale ... but with sellers that typically use higher reserves closer to past (perceived) FMV (and/or on relisted books that didn't reach reserve prior)... "sometimes" the opportunity to recognize a possible deal due to a lowered (sometimes drastically) reserve is not obvious and will be missed by some. I'm in the market for an ASM 122 9.6 in the $800 or less range (that looks as nice as that one), but it never occurred to me that the reserve would be so low even with the current trend. Thus, I did not pay attention to it. There was so many other sweet books to watch too that are not offered as often, that the opportunity to nab it at a nice price did escape my notice. Probably a few others as well.

Actually, I totally agree with your explanation. Most of the time I don't bid on Jason's books quite simply because it seems that he usually is trying to get TOP DOLLAR for his QUALITY BOOKS. I have no problem with that, but unless it's a book I have to have (which are few and far between), I don't expect to buy a very nice book from him at slightly below market value.

Gene

27_laughing.gif your an idoit,that 14 will be and is worth more than your 9.6 122. But I suppose the 14 isn't what it used to be on ebay right? since ebay is the market.. I lost $$ right?

Hey Kevin, if anyone is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, you're it.

DAM