• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what do you think about this auction?

36 posts in this topic

I like his description about how CGC gave it the PLOD in spite of two other dealers' "seals of approval" I dont know those dealers so I cant judge their opinions. Does this ring true to you?

ebay auction

Well, I have to say a 9.4 with only a "cover cleaned" - it makes one wonder. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

what do you mean?

Well, basically I mean this is one fo those at least potentially ideal situations. A cover clean is not really going to jack up a grade very much, and if it got an Apparant 9.4 with only a cover clean? Sounds like the structural integrity of the book is pretty darned tight! Were I to bid on it I would call CGC and ask for grader notes, to be sure that, for example, some pencilled names were not erased but left indents in the cover. But overall - a 9.4 with basically no restoration that substituted foreign parts is pretty sweet.

yeah, if only the cover were cleaned, it must be a sweet book otherwise. He said he called and they discussed the cleaning. Who knows what else they discussed, He never mentioned the graders notes.

It is hard to judge form the scan but it actually DOES look like is just says "cover cleaned". Man, why don't these come along for something like an Eerie 1 or a Cap 75?

I got a nice Eerie #1

remember, dont be a hater!

Hey! I am really glad for ya! We know how it feels to get something like that! Yes, I am tickled pink that you Got THe NICE EERIE 1 and I AM LEFT LOOKING FOR CRAPPY GOOD MINUSES WHILE YOU SIT BACK AND CHUCKLE AS YOU FONDLE ITS GLOSSY GOODNESS!!!!!! 893frustrated.gifmad.gifsign-rantpost.gifinsane.gif

ps - grin.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

If that was a book that I wanted, I would definitely bid.

Even if the cover was cleaned, the book is structural great and so is the page quality.

It does bring up a point that has been discussed but never resolved (to my liking).

The question is:

Should CGC give a PLOD grade if they are NOT ABSOLUTELY sure restoration has been performed?

I have read other forum members say, if CGC thinks that there is restoration they should give a book a PLOD. This way the buyer is protected and they could always resubmit the book again.

I for one believe in the American Justice System which is Inoccent UNLESS proven Guity.

If CGC can't be absolutely sure there is restoration (and I believe in almost all cases they can), then the few that are MAYBE / MAYBE NOT, should be given a Universal grade. If they felt so inclined, they could state on the label, "possible book has been cleaned". Therefore, they are not stating as a FACT that the book has been cleaned, but identifying the possiblity.

Any other thoughts?

If that was a book that I wanted, I would definitely bid.

Even if the cover was cleaned, the book is structural great and so is the page quality.

It does bring up a point that has been discussed but never resolved (to my liking).

The question is:

Should CGC give a PLOD grade if they are NOT ABSOLUTELY sure restoration has been performed?

I have read other forum members say, if CGC thinks that there is restoration they should give a book a PLOD. This way the buyer is protected and they could always resubmit the book again.

I for one believe in the American Justice System which is Inoccent UNLESS proven Guity.

If CGC can't be absolutely sure there is restoration (and I believe in almost all cases they can), then the few that are MAYBE / MAYBE NOT, should be given a Universal grade. If they felt so inclined, they could state on the label, "possible book has been cleaned". Therefore, they are not stating as a FACT that the book has been cleaned, but identifying the possiblity.

Any other thoughts?

CGC is more concerned with getting bagged for missing resto than getting bagged for PLODding above and beyond the call.

A "possible" resto label is a nice idea, but it would undermine confidence in their ability to detect at all. Might as well say "Could be restored, we just don't know". Have a nice magenta label.

I'm all for that but I wonder if they're reluctant to come across as though they are unsure. The hardcore collectors will understand that it is not always possible to tell and won't hold it against cgc, but what about the newbie collectors? They might look at the 'possibly restored' statement and think "what the hell kind of grading company is this, that they aren't even sure?". So from a PR standpoint, cgc might not like your suggestion. It might undermine their image with a segment of the collector population and may therefore be unwise.

I'd love it if they went for it, though.

CGC is more concerned with getting bagged for missing resto than getting bagged for PLODding above and beyond the call.

No joke. On my buds subbed a bunch of comics from his off-the-newstand collection and received all Universal except on PLOD. When he called it was stated there was a pin-[!@#%^&^] of pen ink on the cover, so it got the PLOD.

No damage under the pen mark mind you, and likely the shop owner dropped his pen while he was ringing them up. And I thought I was anal about condition. 893frustrated.gif

CGC would rather see 100 innocent books get the PLOD than watch one resto book go free.

Put yourself in their shoes. Protecting themselves is more important. They'd be insufficiently_thoughtful_persons to do otherwise.

It's already gotten out into the marketplace that they've missed some resto jobs and given restored books blue labels - I personally know of a couple. They read these forums, they hear things. I'm sure they would want to quell any further such talk, and quickly. Erring on the side of caution is the right thing to do.