• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just looked at Heritage's upcoming items and ...

25 posts in this topic

As far as Clink's competitive impact, I hope that it causes Heritage to rethink its ridiculously high buyer/seller fees.

I'll second that.

I think most collectors realize the overhead involved with a Heritage auction versus Comiclink's typical auction. But the disparity in fees between the two is just too severe to swallow. If they could just get it even close, I think they'd attract a lot of consignments that they are missing... and maybe some new ones as well.

But then again, if they are truly getting those fees in the other collectible spaces that they are in, why upset those applecarts?

As far as Clink's competitive impact, I hope that it causes Heritage to rethink its ridiculously high buyer/seller fees.

I'll second that.

I think most collectors realize the overhead involved with a Heritage auction versus Comiclink's typical auction. But the disparity in fees between the two is just too severe to swallow. If they could just get it even close, I think they'd attract a lot of consignments that they are missing... and maybe some new ones as well.

But then again, if they are truly getting those fees in the other collectible spaces that they are in, why upset those applecarts?

Unfortunately I doubt we will see a change in Heritage's buyer's premium. That I would like for it to be lower is a given (but as so many have pointed out in different threads, whether the percentage is 5% vs 22.5% you simply bid accordingly), but it is consistent with the other major auction houses. Higher than some. Lower than others. You cannot compare CL's operation from an overhead standpoint to Heritage. A greater disparity than night and day, but that is one reason why the two entities can be competitive on the comic book side of the business.

I think this a trend that will continue. The lack of a buyer's premium on CL is too attractive to buyers, and therefore to sellers.

I wouldn't read too much into the lack of quality in this particular auction. Heritage has had lulls before, and then came back with insane quality a few months later.

Competition is always good, though, and I have to say I'm impressed by the quality of books that CL has been able to attract to its recent auctions. But any hopes that they will be able to drive down Heritage's commissions is probably just wishful thinking. On the other hand, what does it say about all of the people on these boards who claim to buy the book and not the label that they're so enthusiastically buying books from an auction that doesn't provide really big scans of the front cover and doesn't have any back cover scans at all.

true...I guess we have gotten "spoiled" that Geppi or whomever has always pulled some "quality in quantity" out to make the auction...this one is very pedestrian to me, and I tend to think Comic Link is capturing more and more of the auction Quality market...

just my observation from the past 2 years...who knows, maybe next heritage in Jan will have a tec 27, action 1, etc, etc

rick

relatively weak perhaps, but i see plenty I'll want; the only thing that may be pedestrian is me, since soon, thanks to these damn auctions, i'll not be able to afford a mechanized conveyance.

Why don't you just buy a car instead? (shrug)