• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2000 AD

94 posts in this topic

Nice looking copies.

Earl.

You know how hard it is to find nice early 2000ADs! Easy enough to find reading copies - everybody has a stack in the attic don't they? - but given that they were printed on something like recycled newspaper they're extremely prone to yellowing and foxing.

(Plus, the scanner really seems to bring out the yellow!)

This is another of my favourites. Another early Brian Bolland cover:

prog23.jpg

I've been trying to fill a run of the first 500 progs - it is really hard to find good examples. The ones i've got from ebay have been very hit and miss - from NM to good, although all sold as "flawless".

Trouble is not many are that interested, so there has been little reason for people to keep their progs in good condition.

Let me know if anyone has any NM progs! I must be the only person who keeps them in mylar :)

*bump!*

Anyone care to revive this thread?

I'm a huge 2000AD fan. I started with the Eagle Comics reprints, but they weren't great, the art was small and the coloring was terrible and I drifted away from them (along with most other comics for awhile).

Then I got re-introduced to the comic with the Best of 2000AD #1. The LCS where I worked was picking them up for some reason.

I bought a subscription here in the states to the regular progs that was super expensive to maintain. The issues came rolled up in a tube, so I had to stick them under an iron to flatten them out and read them. This would have been right around the end of Halo Jones book 3 and the first Bad Company story. But I could only afford it for a year, so that was the end of that.

I also picked up a bunch of the Titan GN reprints (including Charley's War), but they were all stolen in college.

During the 90s, all my progs and Best Ofs sat in my mom's garage, got wet and turned totally brown, so I tossed them out. A sad day.

In the recent past, I was able to have my LCS order the 2000AD Extremes, which I enjoyed even though some of the stories were cleary C-level at best. (Flesh part 2 was awesome, though!) It's a shame that title had to get cancelled.

Now I buy the giant, B&W reprints of the old stuff from Amazon UK and have them shipped over here. Just picked up Ace Trucking V2. I'm also enjoying the Charley's War reprints from Titan that have been coming out once a year.

Back in the day, I was only able to find the Titan reprint of Charley's War V1. I searched around for the second volume, but it was nowhere to be found. (Ah, the old days, pre-eBay, pre-internet.) Anyway, on my first trip to London in 1995, I went to Forbidden Planet and asked about volume two and the clerk looked at me like I was insane. (In fact, they had none of the old Titan GN reprints, which made me kind of sad.)

Today I spent way too much money picking up a copy of 2000AD Dice Man #5. I didn't quite expect the bidding to get so high, but I've only ever seen one other copy (in a lot of issues I already had), so I got a little...enthusiastic.

I'll end with a couple of questions to other 2000AD fans/collectors: I know the first few issues in HG (with toys!) sell for alot of money, but why do later issues, even first "key" appearances of iconic characters (like Rogue, Slaine, etc.) sell for relatively cheap compared to "key" appearances of American comic book characters? (Let's say, Bronze and Copper characters, because of the similar time period.)

Second question: How was Scream? I picked up a reprint of the stories about the evil computer running an apartment building (name escapes me...curse you, memory!), and that was a hoot. The issues seem kind of hard to find, but the material interests me.

Thanks!

Thanks, Earl!

I remember reading in Thrill-Power Overload that the higher-ups at IPC had asked for a horror comic, and then completely took out all the horror.