• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking To Identify Important Covers & Stories

62 posts in this topic

Did anyone ever provide you with the cover to "Inflation Is Your Fight" from 1951?

Mycomicshop has a rough copy that you can see as an example, but if you think it would be helpful I can dig this up and send better photos.

Inflation Is Your Fight on eBay

Yes, I believe I own a copy.

Did anyone ever provide you with the cover to "Inflation Is Your Fight" from 1951?

Mycomicshop has a rough copy that you can see as an example, but if you think it would be helpful I can dig this up and send better photos.

Inflation Is Your Fight on eBay

Yes, I believe I own a copy.

(thumbs u

Found one years ago and just loved the cover.

Here is the reason why I've been collecting covers and stories. This lecture is to be delivered on Saturday, July 25, 2009, at the San Diego Comic-Con.

6:30 - 7:30 From Cave Art To Superheroes: Comic Books & Social Commentary. Join Mark S. Zaid, Esq., owner of EsquireComics.com, a co-founder of the Network of Disclosure and an Advisor to the Overstreet Comic Book Price and Grading Guides, for an educational and humorous interactive visual arts presentation tracing the historical creation and development of comic books and their characters, and particularly how comics addressed social issues of the day (including such topics as war, sex, civil rights, women's liberation, politics, censorship, violence, and terrorism). Room 10.

These boards are a great resource for information and I want to make sure I haven't missed anything important.

If you plan on attending the SD Con, please do try to put this program on your calendar. It offers a nice segway into the planned CGC forum dinner. :hi:

In fact, this educational program is being co-sponsored by CGC and the NOD. (thumbs u

So who was the first costumed hero to die?

This story was one of the first. Character change and artist change. Storm drew Hangman and Cole drew the Comet. There were a lot of artists inbetween and after those two but they supplied the background stories for each character.

2878975093_df250a0131_o.jpg

This guy had to be the first gay character in comics :)

BouncerFoxFeature.jpg

Nope, that was 1944.

This is from 1940!!!

Funnies.jpg

Both characters were drawn by Stoner. I suspect a lot of people didn't like his style but he was a pioneer in the field and deserved a little more respect. His style worked well for some things but not for close ups.

I suspect he wasn't paid as well as some artists but spent a lot of time learning on the job. He paved the way for Hollingsworth and Matt Baker.

3610028151_1822889a5d_b.jpg

E. C. Stoner was an African-American artist, who attended the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and was the protege of philantropist F. M. Kirby. Stoner did poster art during World War I and was art director at Tower Magazines in the 1930s. During the War he was commissioned to do portraits of the first black colonels in the US army. He worked as a comic book artist through the Binder, Chesler and Iger Studios from the late 1930s throughout the 1940s. He drew the first story of National's 'Speed Saunders' and was present in Dell titles like The Funnies with features like 'Martan the Marvel Man', 'Phantasmo', 'Night Devils and 'Convoy'.

He drew 'Blackstone' for EC Comics, 'Captain Marvel', 'Lance O'Casey' and 'Spy Smasher' for Fawcett, 'Blue Beetle' and 'Bouncer' for Fox, 'Breeze Barton' and 'Flexo' for Timely, 'Doc Savage' and 'Iron Munro' for Street & Smits, as well as 'Mr. Ree' for Rural Home. In 1951, he illustrated the syndicated feature 'Rick Kane, Space Marshall'.

From http://lambiek.net/artists/s/stoner_ec.htm

Was he the first black artist to work on comics? Or the first to do a superhero?

Youve got Bill Barnes, America's Air Ace Comic #7, July '42, right?

Jack

Off the top of my head, no. What is the significance? (shrug)

:gossip: Full double-page splash of the atomic bomb dropped on Japan (shrug)

Scrooge.. this would not be correct.. It was a bomb, but not an atomic one as there was no such thing in 1942. The bomb that was used in this story was similar the the "bunker buster" that we used in Irag which was a 30,000 lb bomb (that's an enormous bomb folks).

It was a giant bomb.. but it wasn't an atomic one

Then there are the US Bond covers

WDCS 46

Looney Tunes 33

Popular 101

New Funnies 89

Came out all in the same month July 1944 with similar covers showing an actual $100 bond. Not sure if there was any government request to do this but clearly a decision was made at Dell to use their most popular titles to promote the govt bond.

I wonder what the response would be if something like that happened today?

bond.jpg

There was a goverment request to use a patriotic cover for all publications and I think the June & July 44 issues are the ones.

The Shadow pulp for June (I think it is) for instance features a painting of a flag as did many magazines during that month. I actually collected about 10 diff pulps & magazines at one point that all had the same painting that was apparently issued by the government for use.

I may have images somewhere.. I'll have to find them

3669307859_9a9956a24f_o.jpg

Would the cover be more acceptable if the colorist had done their job properly?

3670114160_a86a12ddaa.jpg

I wish someone had done their job more properly, assuming that was ever intended!

It always cracks me up that the company that published this book was Dell. Man, what a difference a decade makes!

Dellad.jpg