• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking To Identify Important SA Covers & Stories

22 posts in this topic

Mark

I don't believe you can have this discussion without the mention of the Zap Comix #1 and #0 story...absolutely seminal and groundbreaking in the comic book world as well as our American culture! Fair Warning: For Adult Intellectuals Only! lol

Plenty of story/drama as well as the side story with the warehouse fire destroying most of the Plymell #1 first editions...as well as the #1 vs #0 story...CLASSIC! :headbang:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zap_Comix

ZAPCOMIX1VF-3.jpg

ZAPCOMIX0VF-1.jpg

Sgt. Fury #6 (iirc) has a great story on racism and prejudice.

Sure, EC had done this stuff before, pre-CCA. But Stan and Jack broke new ground with this story in 1964, while under the restrictions of the Comics Code. Another one of the many reasons us young readers at the time knew that Marvel was a comic company with a difference. This was a very strong Civil Rights theme in a story from "The War Mag for People who Hate War Mags!"

Those were the days; when "mature themes" meant thought-provoking storylines, not juvenile sexual innuendo and T&A. -edit- I had to add this when I noticed the post preceding mine... the last comment was not aimed at the great Robert Crumb and his contemporaries, it’s aimed at… well if ya don’t know what it’s aimed at then there’s no use explaining…