• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Late modern age gems...

32 posts in this topic

To everyone

Which are your top10 bets from the "late" modern age (today,lol) gems for the near future?

I ask you this, because i have the feeling that we might have some more interesting/value prices comics around than we might think about it...

my top 10...

1- Ultimate Spider-man nº1 (regular and white), like Hulk nº181, you can have a thousand of copies to sell, there will always be 5 times more fans fighting for them.

2- DD vol.1 nº1, imo this book started the increase of comics price and therefore opening this "new era" economic factor.

3- 30 days of nights nº1, low print + high demand = crazy prices that won't go down with tpb's and HC, believe me.

4- Superman: Red Son nº1, see above

5- Y the last man nº1, see above...again,lol.

6- Ultimate Spider-man nº5, low print run and an instant crazy hard to find item

7- Amazing Spider-man nº30 (Strazynscky run is going for the Peter David syndrome...a lot of years and good stories).

8- The possible semi-key issues:

Ultimate Spider-man nº13 (ID revealed, 24(G.Goblin), 33(Venom)

Ultimate X-men nº34 (1st Bendis)

Daredevil nº26 (1st Bendis on DD...)

9- 1602 nº1 (it's a longshot, but take a look at the origin nº1 and the fact that everyone bought it, and still this day nº1 fetches some nice $$$).

10- the last choice is for a book that will make 1602 and JLA/Avengers projects, look like small things together...it features Bendis and the art by one of the best "unknowed" artists around...the US fans will be crazy.

The artist is Gabrielle Dellotto!!! Don't forget to check the great site below...

http://www.perilli.dsl.pipex.com/dellotto_enter.html

Which are your top10 bets?!

Regards, Pedro.

Are any of the books you listed actually INCREASING in price lately?

(And by "price", I mean actual selling prices on Ebay...not "guide" price.)

If they've already "topped out" (which most have), then you've made a list of

"Best Bets to Sell For Less Tomorrow Than They Do Today".

Maybe there are some long-term winners in your list, but you said "near future".

If 30 years of organized comic collecting has taught us anything...

it's that we don't know squat about books that have only been out a year or so.

We start learning something when books are about 5 years old...

what we think we know stabilizes when the books are 10 years old,

and we really think we know something when the books are about 20 years old.

(Wonder why GIJoe books from the 1980s just "took off" lately? They're 20 years old now.)

By the time a book hits that magic "30 year old" age... it might be a legend...

Action Comics #1 (late 1930s) became a "huge deal" by the late 1960s.

Amazing Fantasy #15 (1962) really took off in the early 1990s.

Hulk #181 (1974) really took off in the past couple years.

If "instant popularity" was a condition for long-term success...

we'd all be rich by now with our white-bagged Adventures of Superman #500, right?

Actually, Ebay prices for some Ultimate Spider Man books have started to come down a bit. 9.8's are still hot but 9.6's don't seem to have as much steam as a couple of months back. Maybe the release of Spidey 2 will have a positive impact.

I agree with you on the Y books. I have a few copies of # 1 which are safely hidden under my bed for a while. And the 1602 books may become valuable, especially if you buy them below cover from Lighthouse...Get Your Order In Now!!....lol.

You never can tell with Modern books. The stuff you buy in multiple quantities today, may be worthless tomorrow, while the books you passed by are now selling for $100's on Ebay. Buy what you like.

Near future i was thinking on 10-15 years around...but if you had bought 100 copies of Ultimate Spider when they come out and sold them 1 year later...maybe the but today and sell tomorrow theory might show somthing too wink.gif

For the Red Son a dn Y copies you would only have to wait 1 month,lol, not more. grin.gif

A lot of board members will tell you that in 10 to 15 years, your Ultimate Spider Man collection will be worth less than what you paid for them when you bought em on the newstand.

Watch your hi-grade Y #1 books sell for a few hundred bucks when the movie comes out (if the movie comes out). A 9.8 went for $150 on Ebay a couple of weeks ago.

I dont think that Y is a great investment long term. IF a movie comes out, they will spike up for a bit, but generally the scarce, high demand Vertigo books will eventually drop. There are numerous examples here:

Sandman 1 - was $80ish, now $30ish

Sandman 8 - $50, now $10

Preacher 1 - was $50, now $15

Ennis Hellblazer - was $10 a book for some, now cover or below

Early Hellblazer did the same thing, only not as drastically

The TPB's really kill the popularity of the Vertigo back issues eventually. They stay hot for a year or two and then dive.

I dont think that Y is a great investment long term. IF a movie comes out, they will spike up for a bit, but generally the scarce, high demand Vertigo books will eventually drop. There are numerous examples here:

Sandman 1 - was $80ish, now $30ish

Sandman 8 - $50, now $10

Preacher 1 - was $59, now $15

Ennis Hellblazer - was $10 a book for some, now cover or below

Early Hellblazer did the same thing, only not as drastically

The TPB's really kill the popularity of the Vertigo back issues eventually. They stay hot for a year or two and then dive.

You are indeed correct, Solar. I was looking at Y as more of a short term book...as in sell before the movie craze dies down.

A lot of board members will tell you that in 10 to 15 years, your Ultimate Spider Man collection will be worth less than what you paid for them when you bought em on the newstand.

That's a guarantee. Maybe not newstand then, but definitely the equivalent newstand prices (if there are comics being sold) in 5-10 years. It's like tossing a ball in the air, sometime it's gonna come back down.

But if newbie Modern collectors actually understood the market, we wouldn't have anything to talk about. 893blahblah.gif

The run I am speaking of is actually ungraded Valiant...they have to go as a set. Plus I don't have the patience to list them all separately...I sold some slabbed copies of 1-8 this week, thank you very much.

It's your dime. grin.gif

8- The possible semi-key issues:

Ultimate Spider-man nº13 (ID revealed, 24(G.Goblin), 33(Venom)

Ultimate X-men nº34 (1st Bendis)

Daredevil nº26 (1st Bendis on DD...)

On the subject of the Daredevil issue, Bendis actually wrote a story arc before this (between 16 and 19). Why aren't these books picked out as being more likely to go up?