• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The freaked-out guy from Action 1

47 posts in this topic

I always kinda felt sorry for the guy. I mean, nobody had ever heard of Superman before. All he knows is some super-maniac is smashing a car into a rock for no apparent reason. It could be him next!

No wonder he looks so freaked, clutching his head as though afraid it's about to explode with the madness of it all:

action1.jpg

Poor guy! But he's not alone. Superman, who just loves smashing cars into rocks, has recreated this scene many times, leaving a trail of nervous wrecks behind him:

1993 (Action 685):

action685.jpg

1997 (Superman vol2 124):

superman124.jpg

1998 (Superman vol2 136):

superman136.jpg

1998 (Superboy/Risk double shot):

superboyrisk.jpg

2003 (Action 800):

action800.jpg

2004 (Superman vol2 201):

superman201.jpg

This is what Action 1 should be remembered for: The first appearance of freaked-out guy! Oh yeah and Superman too. :)

Did I miss any?

Wait here's another, Fuzzy Bunnies From Hell 1:

fuzzybunnies.jpg

Nice ripoff...

Of.... what? Seriously, I'm curious (shrug)

While looking for more Action 1 homage covers I did find this fascinating site: http://www.comicvine.com/homage-covers/43734/

Is that what you mean?

EDIT: Wait, I think I misunderstood. I thought you were accusing me of ripping off a thread! doh! I'm used to posting on the IMDB message boards where every other poster is a troll or a hater :grin:

love your post ! , yeah Butch (freaked out guy) was so distraught that sweat beads actually leaped off his forehead. lol

I love the Action #800 cover, changing Butch to General Zod was a nice touch.

The guy's name is Butch? I never knew that! Wait, that means I have to admit that I... never actually have read Action 1!

If anybody happens to have a beat up old reader copy feel free to send it my way hm

The guy's name is Butch? I never knew that! Wait, that means I have to admit that I... never actually have read Action 1!

If anybody happens to have a beat up old reader copy feel free to send it my way hm

Actually, the first comic I read was a reprint of Action 1. Butch Matson is the guy's name and you can read the story in the thread below.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=15&Number=1557621

Actually, the first comic I read was a reprint of Action 1. Butch Matson is the guy's name and you can read the story in the thread below.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=15&Number=1557621

I totally enjoyed reading that, thanks!

Although these bits were slightly disturbing:

Action1pages6.jpg

Action1pages13.jpg

Wait, wrong thread!