• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this Pep Comics #2 look trimmed to anyone?

22 posts in this topic

There were different trimming processes. Was this book cut with all the leaves open and flat or after the book was folded? That would make a difference. Did one publisher do it one way and another publisher the other (both printing the same issue)? That's why I think someone with publishing experience can help us. Publishing comics was not a science abck then.These machinces would wobble, squeek and rumble as 100,000's of books passes trough every day.

R.

No matter how it was cut, I cannot think of a situation that would result in the book being that short on the front and back, as well as having interior paper that visible on both sides. I certainly don't have the expertise, knowledge and collections that you guys have, but I have owned or handled several hundred golden age books and I've never seen one like this that wasn't trimmed. Especially MLJ books.

You have me thinking about this...

Not saying it is trimmed or isn't but you did state that the book had a spine roll.

Depending on the severity of the roll it could impact the appearance to a degree something like my crude illustration below:

47743-SpineRoll.jpg

But the back is short too. Tell me a book you've seen with a spine roll that doesn't have one part of the cover (back OR front) that extending past the paper. Never seen a double spine roll.

Here's what I'm talking about - note how the front cover (since it's rolled) extends easily past the interior:

pep08-1.jpg

pep08-2.jpg

Your example is a different type of spine roll most likely caused from improper storage or being at the bottom of a large stack of books. This is where the book still lies flat but the front or back shifts to either the left or right.

The type of spine roll I tried to show was a reading spine roll where the damage was not from storage but from having the cover and following pages folded over and possibly creased to stay that way for the sake of reading. This done multiple times or if the book was abandoned that way for years (in the folded over position) would cause the book to not lie flat and have that reading "bump" along the spine. This would also make the cover seem shorter than the pages on the front and back.

47782-SpineRoll2.jpg

Again, not disputing a trim or not but just explaining my pov. :foryou: