• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reminiscences of an avid collector/dealer in the 1960s

23 posts in this topic

I was impressed at how "sophisticated" it quicky became for those guys (kids really). It was a little more organized than I realized. I know a lot about comic sales in the early 70s with the first OPG and the first comic to sell for $1000, etc. but thought the 60s was just about all used book stores and maybe a Rogofsky list or two.

I remember Lucas Dang from about 10 years ago.

Last time I saw him was in 1995 or 1996, he was buying comics from me for Showcase Dan (unbeknownst to me) :sorry:

It must be 35 years or so for me.I traded an Action #3, that my uncle had bought for me at Cherokee bookstore, to Lucas for several books. A Superman 5 and a Superboy1 and Pep 32 and a few others.He really wanted it and had been bugging me for months to sell it or trade it to him, I was quite a bit younger and not much smarter than I am now. He finally talked me into bringing the book over to their house to show it to them. Big Mistake. They wouldn't let me leave their house until I traded. I was devastated that I was stupid enough to be talked into that dumb trade. The one saving grace was that when I first got the Action 3, I opened it up and near the centerfold on the left inner margin, I wrote my name and address in ball point pen. About a week after the trade, Lucas or Teddy, came over and said:"Hey Vince, why did you write your name in the Action?" With such a look of agony on his face. "I don't know" I said " But I'll trade you back for it." "No, No" he said and left. Several times over the next few years whenever I ran into him, he would look at me with that pained expression on his face and ask: "Vince, why did you ever write your name in that action?". Why indeed. lol

Good for you Vince! (thumbs u I always liked Lucas, but he was very shrewd. That last encounter though, bothered me quite a bit.