• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES: RD.7

SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES  

279 members have voted

1. 1. SA ARTIST SURVIVOR SERIES

64 posts in this topic

Wood, Crandall and Everett did their best work prior to the Silver Age, and so could be easily voted off the island. There's some others that aren't that strong, either, so I'm still finding it relatively easy to make my selections.

Who are the individual_without_enough_empathys who keep voting for Neal Adams? rantrant

i suppose these are some folks who don't include Neal among their "favorite" Silver Age Artists.................... (shrug)

it's hard to argue over someone else's personal tastes............

That's no fun! This poll is all about arguing!

Anybody got some Crandall to post, before he vanishes from this thread. I'm trying to think what he did in the SA, but I'm not coming up with anything I own...

Who are the individual_without_enough_empathys who keep voting for Neal Adams? rantrant

i suppose these are some folks who don't include Neal among their "favorite" Silver Age Artists.................... (shrug)

it's hard to argue over someone else's personal tastes............

I would argue he didn't do enough SA work to last much longer.

Far and away, his best stuff was in the BA.

Which is why I've been voting Adams since day one of this poll.

Then again, I think the Bronze Age starts in 1969 with the 3 cent price hike, and that there is another age shoe-horned between the end of the Atom Age (implementation of The Code) and the publication of Showcase 4. (1954-1956 The Dark Ages, The Stone Age, whatever...) But, that's just me, so take it with a grain of salt.

Anybody got some Crandall to post, before he vanishes from this thread. I'm trying to think what he did in the SA, but I'm not coming up with anything I own...

I can help out later tonight with a few Crandall T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents 18 samples if resident historian Scrooge has no objections.

Kirdy and Ditko

Yes, I'm one of the ones that keeps voting for both of them because I just don't think their stuff is that great especially in the silver age. (shrug)

So, you like their BA work better?

Actually yes I think their DC work is better... just not as popular as the Fantastic Four and Spider-man (respectively)

For someone like Joe Jusko I'm the opposite, I like his early stuff better than his modern.

Thanks Doctor Svord! That has a familiar look to it...looks like a watered down EC story.

Anytime JohnT.

Speaking of "watered down" EC stories... I forgot I had this book. Here's a SA Al Williamson splash from Harvey's Alarming Adventures 2. (I know he's no longer on the list, but it's Williamson.)

alarming_adventures_0201a.jpg

Scrooge - Yes sir, right there with ya. Williamson. It may be heresy to some, but I prefer his work to Frazetta's.

Well, for one, Al makes better use of blacks as is clear in the panels above. (Please don't make any stupid jokes).

Scrooge - Yes sir, right there with ya. Williamson. It may be heresy to some, but I prefer his work to Frazetta's.

Well, for one, Al makes better use of blacks as is clear in the panels above. (Please don't make any stupid jokes).

Do you know who inked him in that story? Was he doing his own inking at that point?

No worries Scrooge, I make more than my fair share of stupid jokes, but never anything along those lines.

Actually I prefer his work because of his use of "nothing". Negative space. That vignette thing he does is so effective.

No worries Scrooge, I make more than my fair share of stupid jokes, but never anything along those lines.

Actually I prefer his work because of his use of "nothing". Negative space. That vignette thing he does is so effective.

Gotcha.

And btw, I didn't me "you" specifically making stupid jokes, but the other guys around in General ...

Could you explain to me the difference between good spotting of blacks and good use of negative space. In my mind, they are similar in way, aren't they?

Well spotting blacks is a great way to make the white areas pop, & to lead the eye across the page. It really makes what you want to pop, pop. For me negative space isn't necessarily black, it can be any space not of the main action that leads to crisper design or more dramatic layout.

Does that help?

and yes, Frazetta is better with anatomy and fine inking, but Williamson is certainly better with contrast & spotting of blacks.

I like 'em both! (But still prefer Toth!)

Of course, it helps! Thank you.

I picked up issue # 5 to see if I could find what I think you meant as a good example of using negative space effectively but didn't find a great example. Would the following page qualify and if so, which areas / aspects of it? -

48119-FG5-Story1Pages.jpg.0179518e17c91923f1cb3e4f59ad3bdf.jpg