• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the highest priced terrible art known?

31 posts in this topic

I despised Heck's OA until I purchased two great pages from early TOS Iron Man issues. I have to admit, they are GREAT in person. I have grown to appreciate some of his art since.

Don Heck looks like freakin' Michelangelo compared to some of today's comic book artists. :mad:

I'm not a Don Heck fan myself, but some of his non-superhero stuff isn't that bad...

The superhero books were just not for him, and unfortunately for him that's just what was selling when he was most active as an artist. He just can't do action scenes, but he could really ace a room with people standing around talking and looking glamerous.

His layouts were very good with a clean and sharp style especially during his Atlas period when he drew a lot of romance.

I don't mind Don Heck's work . . . not everyone can be in the same league as Kirby (who tends to overshadow such 'lesser' artists), but Heck produced some decent (if unspectacular) work. I liked his run on IRON MAN (in TALES OF SUSPENSE) and his early AVENGERS stories.

I've owned some of Heck's Silver Age originals . . . they were nice enough pages.

I despised Heck's OA until I purchased two great pages from early TOS Iron Man issues. I have to admit, they are GREAT in person. I have grown to appreciate some of his art since.

Don Heck looks like freakin' Michelangelo compared to some of today's comic book artists. :mad:

Absolutely . . . lol

I'm not a Don Heck fan myself, but some of his non-superhero stuff isn't that bad...

The superhero books were just not for him, and unfortunately for him that's just what was selling when he was most active as an artist. He just can't do action scenes, but he could really ace a room with people standing around talking and looking glamerous.

His layouts were very good with a clean and sharp style especially during his Atlas period when he drew a lot of romance.

I don't mind Don Heck's work . . . not everyone can be in the same league as Kirby (who tends to overshadow such 'lesser' artists), but Heck produced some decent (if unspectacular) work. I liked his run on IRON MAN (in TALES OF SUSPENSE) and his early AVENGERS stories.

I've owned some of Heck's Silver Age originals . . . they were nice enough pages.

His precode work was pretty spectacular, especially the covers :luhv:

I own this early pre-code Heck cover:

6lt4cj5.jpg

6lt4cj5.jpg

Nice cover :applause: Now, if I could find the cover art to Weird Terror #7 :cloud9:

6lt4cj5.jpg

That is a great piece.

Maybe the reason Heck, Ayers, et al are maligned on Marvel Silver is because we compare them to other "better" artists on the same character/series. In a vacuum they would be great, but once you've seen Colan on Iron Man and Kirby on Cap...well it's tough to swallow Heck and Ayers!

Let's go over to Sal Buscema. Those of us that grew up on his 70s era love his Cap (Dan!) while those of us that grew up on 80s Cap prefer Zeck (me!) or Neary (not sure who, but they're out there). Same idea. Sal is great...in a vacuum. But Zeck had more "emotion" IMO. However Zeck also had the advantage of building on what came before, including Sal's work.