• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Appraisal

31 posts in this topic

I am looking at getting my collection appraised for tax and legal purposes.

Any suggestions as to where to go for this?

Is there some sort of certification that the appraising entity needs to have, and if so, what would it be?

Thanks.

I am looking at getting my collection appraised for tax and legal purposes.

Any suggestions as to where to go for this?

Is there some sort of certification that the appraising entity needs to have, and if so, what would it be?

Thanks.

Track down an Overstreet Senior Advisor in your area and be prepared to pay $125+ per hour for his time.

Most economical way to have your collection appraised is to group all the common/easily replaceable stuff together and have the appraiser price it. This usually satisfies most insurance companies. Then have him list each expensive book separately with title/issue number/grade and price. This is required for most policies.

If you have 2,000-3,000 books expect the process to take 8-12 hours. I would charge $1,000 to $1,500 to do this (if you were in Chicago).

Good luck.

--Gary

Moondog is spot on with his assessment.

I recently did an 800 book Disney collection, each individually graded and priced. Rebagged and boarded as well. Price...$2000. And happily paid as insurance couldn't be obtained without it.

For anything of value, why not just get it slabbed and hand the insurance copy a copy of the Guide?

Or just show them GPA. Mind you slabbing 100's of books can be quite an undertaking. Expensive and costly. For example, slabbing 800 duck books can run you between $2500 and $7000 depending on the tier used. Then there is shipping, time, packaging etc.

R.

For example, slabbing 800 duck books can run you between $2500 and $7000 depending on the tier used.

What tier do you use to get books slabbed for $3.12?

It doesn't require one of Chucks secret codewords, does it?

:signfunny:

For example, slabbing 800 duck books can run you between $2500 and $7000 depending on the tier used.

, now I'm being double trolled.

OK, I missed a zero. Or two.

Make that $24,000 to $70,000.

R.

R.

Wow, I wonder if this is the first board threesome. hm

R.

Wow, I wonder if this is the first board threesome. hm

hm

Well, it certainly isn't the first circle-jerk.

$1,500 to appraise a comic collection?

Hahahahaha

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but my time and expertise are worth $125 hour to me.

And insurance companies believe it too.

I love it when someone complains how much a qualified opinion costs. Take decades of experience, self education, countless losses and gains, headaches, maturity, networking, bloody knuckles, papercuts, whatever. And then people expect you to give it all away for free. Wonder how every one of these people complaining about the price would feel if they were asked to do their livelihood for free.

:busy:

Hahahahaha

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but my time and expertise are worth $125 hour to me.

No doubt.. look at the people who do taxes... they did mine in 15 minutes and charged me over 100 bucks :mad:

Hahahahaha

No doubt.. look at the people who do taxes... they did mine in 15 minutes and charged me over 100 bucks :mad:

You got suckered. Hopefully you don't buy your plane tickets for Chicago from the same person.

:jokealert:

Here you can buy the software and do your own returns. A lot of people just do their own returns in Canada. Is that possible in the US, or too different.

BTW, I'm lazy and pay about $70 or so.

R.

Here you can buy the software and do your own returns. A lot of people just do their own returns in Canada. Is that possible in the US, or too different.

BTW, I'm lazy and pay about $70 or so.

R.

Yep. You can buy it here (TurboTax). Pretty easy to use. But, once you pay for the software/downloads and the filing fees, it's almost the same as having MK's person do it for you.