• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So for the most part new Marvel comics suck, why is that?

30 posts in this topic

Obviously I have my ideas:

1.)this trend of hiring non-comic people to write comics doesnt work at all, comics are a very visual medium, non-comic people dont seem to know how to exploit this medium. They seem more concerned about plot lines, flowery prose, and interpersonal relationships. I want to see Man-Thing pop Iron Man's helmet off like a bottlecap like the good old days, forget flowery prose.

2.)Quesada and others almost seem apologetic about their medium, like they have to reinvent the wheel or something. In this age where the WWF is about the hottest ticket in town, I find it hard to believe that comics that simply well kicked [!@#%^&^] would not sell to these people that love WWF.

3.)Manganization of comics. manga is fine, I've read it some, its not bad, as an American raised on Romita, Neal Adams and others though I prefer American style art and the visual stream of consciousness style of comic 10x more than manga. Given that why is Marvel seemingly trying at the same time to distance itself from its past, and push Manga style comics which at their height were nothing more than a niche.

Summary: Marvels management is totally inept and taking Marvel in totally the wrong directiont, I'm a comic diehard and I can only stomach about 2 marvel books. sign-rantpost.gif

Duncan, you are incredibly wise to realize that Mravel comics suck and to post so publicly. I applaud you! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Here are a few nice DCs that you might want to consider (Vertigos really);

Fables

Y the Last Man

100 Bullets

I am sure you have heard these before, but they really are good! smile.gif

Indeed Fables and Y are some of the best books produced nowadays, but putting aside likes such as DD, Ultimate Spider-man, 1602 and FF might prove a less positive choice wink.gif

Indeed Marvel isn't by far the best publisher, but the few books that have quality are simply great. grin.gif

You love WWF action comics. I skip the pages when the first blow is struck.

893frustrated.gif Where'd you get that idea from. I said wrestling brings in billions, and its unique hook usually involves a steel chair or slamming someone into a table. Why cant comics go back to being something where you read it for 15 minutes, lose yourself in the art and action and have a little bit of fun?

Because comics are an art-form? My [!@#%^&^] they need to stop being artistes and have a little fun with it like Stan Lee did.

As far as comics not being good to read, what were you people jaded at age 10?

Stan Lee's over the top style was always good for a chuckle, and some of the battles and villians were downright nailbiters. Maybe you guys are too busy counting your sheckles in your brain to turn it off for a few seconds and enjoy a comic.

And as far as the 'good' books listed well theres a place for 'noir' comics I like 100 bullets, but theres a place for fun and lighthearted action in comics. Marvels all about manga, murder, and soap opera, Quesada makes millions for destroying what was left of Marvel, that annoys me. makepoint.gif

duncan,

I agree with you. Comics nowadays have much more drama and not enough action. I just pulled out FF 25-26 and the storyline can still build suspense even being what is probably the 10th+ read. Stan knew the exact balance between action and drama. Come to think of it as just going thru my stack of new comics, I haven't even seen a good fight cover like FF 25 in recent times. Many times the covers are a solo pinup/portrait of the main character/s....BORING. I continue to drop Marvel titles until they wake up.

Incidently, a great new storyline with excellent fight scene was in Flash leading up to #200 vs. Zoom. Great stuff!

duncan,

I agree with you. Comics nowadays have much more drama and not enough action. I just pulled out FF 25-26 and the storyline can still build suspense even being what is probably the 10th+ read. Stan knew the exact balance between action and drama. Come to think of it as just going thru my stack of new comics, I haven't even seen a good fight cover like FF 25 in recent times. Many times the covers are a solo pinup/portrait of the main character/s....BORING. I continue to drop Marvel titles until they wake up.

Incidently, a great new storyline with excellent fight scene was in Flash leading up to #200 vs. Zoom. Great stuff!

Agree with that. I hear that recent issues of the Black Panther have stronger sleep inducing effects than Ambien, and the FDA requires a prescription to allow someone to read it.

sign-funnypost.gif

I REALLY enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man, Daredevil is usually interesting since Bendis took it over, Jones's Hulk is sometimes compelling, Ennis's Punisher is the best version in the history of the character, Morrison's New X-Men ranges back and forth from mega-boring to "man that's cool!" (loved the "Riot at Xavier's" storyline), and Waid's Fantastic Four is rather interesting. None of these titles are significantly worse than the Marvels I read when I was a kid in the 1980s, and in most ways, they're better.

Which Marvels from the past do you think today's titles compare unfavorably to?

You love WWF action comics. I skip the pages when the first blow is struck.

893frustrated.gif Where'd you get that idea from. I said wrestling brings in billions, and its unique hook usually involves a steel chair or slamming someone into a table. Why cant comics go back to being something where you read it for 15 minutes, lose yourself in the art and action and have a little bit of fun?

Because comics are an art-form? My [!@#%^&^] they need to stop being artistes and have a little fun with it like Stan Lee did.

As far as comics not being good to read, what were you people jaded at age 10?

Stan Lee's over the top style was always good for a chuckle, and some of the battles and villians were downright nailbiters. Maybe you guys are too busy counting your sheckles in your brain to turn it off for a few seconds and enjoy a comic.

And as far as the 'good' books listed well theres a place for 'noir' comics I like 100 bullets, but theres a place for fun and lighthearted action in comics. Marvels all about manga, murder, and soap opera, Quesada makes millions for destroying what was left of Marvel, that annoys me. makepoint.gif

I meant WWF-type action comics as in your reference to the WWF. I meant that I cant stand endless punch em up fights in comics. Seen too many of em. And yes I agree Stan did a good job with them. And they seemed fun and part of the overall genre BACK THEN!! Today, deeper characterization and insights into the heroes works for me. Besides these guys are way too powerful to be socking others in the jaw all the time. Besides, thats a throwback to Westerns anyway.

I do lose myself in the good comics I read each week. Those just dont include titles that rely on fight scenes to move the plot along