• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Wars...Has it held up over the test of time?

113 posts in this topic

I read the 12 issues Mini Secret wars back in the day as they were comming out. :cloud9: I have always thought of those comics as GREAT! :headbang: I was just wondering have they held up over the years? Has anyone read this as of late? I never went back to reread it. I kinda dont want to. I always pick things apart now. I would hate to reread it and hate it. Thoughts?

I read the 12 issues Mini Secret wars back in the day as they were comming out. :cloud9: I have always thought of those comics as GREAT! :headbang: I was just wondering have they held up over the years? Has anyone read this as of late? I never went back to reread it. I kinda dont want to. I always pick things apart now. I would hate to reread it and hate it. Thoughts?

I feel exactly the same way. My dad bought me tons of comics from mid-75 until about mid-80. The next comic I owned I picked up for myself. It was Secret Wars #4. I was re-hooked In my mind, at the time, it was like every nerdboy battle-royale scenario I had ever dreamed up. I haven't read it since then. There is no way it will be as cool as it still is in my mind.

I feel exactly the same way. My dad bought me tons of comics from mid-75 until about mid-80. The next comic I owned I picked up for myself. It was Secret Wars #4. I was re-hooked In my mind, at the time, it was like every nerdboy battle-royale scenario I had ever dreamed up. I haven't read it since then. There is no way it will be as cool as it still is in my mind.

EXACTLY!!! You and I are on the same page here!!! I wanna read it again!!! But I know its going to be a let down!!!

I remember really liking it when I was a kid too. I reread it last year sometime... While still a neat idea, it didn't live up to the hype I created for it in my mind. Just too many holes in the plot and too many characters doing things that were just dumb.

It was fun enough that I'd say my 14 year-old self would still think it kicks , but my 29 year-old self wasn't quite as impressed.

I remember really liking it when I was a kid too. I reread it last year sometime... While still a neat idea, it didn't live up to the hype I created for it in my mind. Just too many holes in the plot and too many characters doing things that were just dumb.

It was fun enough that I'd say my 14 year-old self would still think it kicks , but my 29 year-old self wasn't quite as impressed.

Figures!!! Damn it!!!! :tonofbricks:

I loved it when I was 13 or whatever age I was. What year did it come out? So I fear re-visiting it too.

But I can say for sure that Secret Wars II would STILL spoon today!!

SW sucked back then and I bet it sucks even more now...except when compared to the even suckier :censored: Marvel has been putting out the past few years. :mad:

And don't get me started on the unreadable SWII, definitely the worst thing Marvel had ever produced up to that time. :pullhair:

SW sucked back then and I bet it sucks even more now...except when compared to the even suckier :censored: Marvel has been putting out the past few years. :mad:

And don't get me started on the unreadable SWII, definitely the worst thing Marvel had ever produced up to that time. :pullhair:

meh Always has to be one hater. Secret Wars back in the day...WAS GREAT! :headbang:

It's still a decent read. I bought it off the stand and absolutely loved it. After it was over I was kind of bummed with my regular issues... only getting one character (or team) in a book.

I re-read it a couple of years ago and still enjoyed it.

It's still a decent read. I bought it off the stand and absolutely loved it. After it was over I was kind of bummed with my regular issues... only getting one character (or team) in a book.

I re-read it a couple of years ago and still enjoyed it.

(thumbs u Sup Jeff! Even better...How many people remember seeing ads for Secret Wars 2 back in the day...and thinking...OHHHHHHHH YEAHHHH More great stuff. Bleck!!! They killed that thought quick!!!! They was a huge let down!!!

Once I read the Marvel Age write up about it I wasn't so sure it was going to be as good as the original... but then again comics were still cool to me no matter how bad they sucked.

Once I read the Marvel Age write up about it I wasn't so sure it was going to be as good as the original... but then again comics were still cool to me no matter how bad they sucked.

I bought and read every issue of SWII like I did every Marvel book back then. The art was particularly terrible. But the Beyonder in his late disco--Don Johnson--perm mullet was just to much to take (but like I said, at 13- 14 I was a zombie and took it, made me sick, but I took it).

SW was cool though. Mike Zeck!! Doom vs. the Beyonder. Hulk holding up a mountain!! Loved it.

I thought anything connected to the first one was golden. Marvel woke me up quick to that idea! Yeah even when comics were bad...(bad runs) i still read them and liked something about them. The crossovers killed the 2nd one. Well that and a dumb story.