• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Artist For Sinister House of Secret Love

61 posts in this topic

sig.jpg

You see above the Close up of the signature for the original oil painting for Sinister House of Secret love issue 2. The owner asked that I respect his wishes and not show the complete image. He is a very private person and slightly eccentric. A very nice guy but he would rather not let others know exactly what he has. I have seen this art and can verify that this signature is from The art mentioned. I have a full scan in fact but again he asked that I not show the full image. I really need to try to get this guy to join the boards. He is a literal fountain of knowledge and he has literally thousands of peices of OA from all of the major artiststs from the 50 thru the 70s and quite a few from the Golden Age as well. His collection is ridicullously large and comprehensive. It would be fun for us all to have him join up and display his treasures. Ok as mentioned earlier here is an example of an artist not getting his due. Jeff Jones is credited in overstreet with the art on this cover. If you look can you can clearly see that is not Mr Jones signature. I wont predjudice any one with telling you what it looks like as I would really like some help solving the mystery of the true artist. Any information and Ideas on what you see would help.

Iknow it is weird he wont let me show the full image but that is his wish.

I believe that is the art style and signature of artist Jerome Podwill, prolific painter of many sci-fi paperback covers.

Take a good look at the signature on this painting.. practically unmistakable first name sig. In both cases, the Jer.. portion looks misleading, making it hard to identify.

2nl8j08.jpg

another example on heritage

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=806&Lot_No=2204&src=pr#Photo

I don't have access to the larger image, but I bet if you blow it up, you'll also see the signature.

You may be able to contact him for verification through this site. I think this is him.

J.P. was born in 1938. The sIte lists his age as...

Age 65+ hm

http://www.brooklynartproject.com/profile/zoobloo

Thanks all. If some one has a heritage account and can blow up the photo to the link I posted, the Gothic painted cover was done in a similar time period (1968). I would like to the signature blown up here, but I'm pretty certain he's it.

Also, it would be awesome if someone was able to contact him through the blog link for actual confirmation. Could even get a VERY RARE signature series cover out of it.

Seeing as no one even knew he did the cover, it has to be unique.

And since dezuniga frequents a lot of cons, he can sign the border=)

Thanks all. If some one has a heritage account and can blow up the photo to the link I posted, the Gothic painted cover was done in a similar time period (1968). I would like to the signature blown up here, but I'm pretty certain he's it.

Also, it would be awesome if someone was able to contact him through the blog link for actual confirmation. Could even get a VERY RARE signature series cover out of it.

Seeing as no one even knew he did the cover, it has to be unique.

And since dezuniga frequents a lot of cons, he can sign the border=)

bronze_rules rules! :headbang:

A seriously kick-azz thread here guys. (worship)

I've been a SoSH collector for many years now. And Sterling and myself have battled it out over a few HG copies of the early books, as they truly are under appreciated, and siginificantly difficult to locate in high grade.

Ironicly the transition issue of #5 for the title is the real kicker, for the HG enthusiast's of this title. And one of the very last issues Sterling managed to track down for his set in grade.

The art work is for the first 4 issues on both Sinister House, and Dark Mansion is simply stunning, and stands out for the era considerably. And in repetition to what has been discussed here re the SSH issues, I had a buyer of a Dark Mansions issue #2 I sold, at length inform me that Neal Adams did not do the cover art for that issue. To my own distress, I can't recall who he said it was unfortunately.

Nice copy BRASSEYE!!!

These are seriously cool stories and art! I contacted mr Podwill this morning he was not sure if he did the work or not he would need to see the OA I will get with the owner to see if it is ok to send mr Podwill the scan.

On a side note Iwould love to see maybe VERTIGO do a high quality return of this great series. I think it would sell quite well if done seriously and with some quality artists

To give some more color to as to why I"m confident that this is Mr. Podwil's work, I have created a side by side comparison using digital forgeries of other signatures shown earlier

(one is the pocketbook cover I showed in the earlier scan, the other is from artwork on his current blog).

What makes his earlier signatures so confusing, is that it looks like it says tsomepod.i.l

Both the pocketbook cover painting as well as the SHOSL cover show this anomoly on the signature. But, I've also shown a small animation outlining how the strokes could be made to have the ts be an image artifact of the Jer portion (It's obvious part of the outer J simply is obscured on the SHOSL cover).

Add to the fact that they used prolific sci-fi/gothic artists for the covers (i.e. victor K. issue 1), and the fact that podwil did many such paperback cover paintings, gives me strong confidence it is him. Also, his name is extremely unique for artists during that period.

It appears in his current signature that he has made the J e r portion more legible.

If he doesn't believe he did it, bring him here and show him the thread. I would be very surprised if it wasn't him. Unless there is a different artist named Jerome Podwil, from the NYC blogsite (very doubtful, same age same artists location:NYC).

30cxhjc.jpg

Nice graphics but I believe you are right anyway.

At first the "J" was obscured and it looked to me like "Some" but now I'm pretty sure you nailed the artist on this one! (thumbs u

Yeah I bought that. From the same guy who I bought issue 1 acetate from. As to Podwill no he never returns emails. I think he is elderly and may not be on the computer much. I feel pretty strongly that it has to be Mr. Podwells work.