• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,261 posts in this topic

I just got this one in yesterday via Fed-ex, and have not had the time to get it framed.

The original pulp oil painting of the Shadow "The Third Skull" (optical illusion cover).

Copy of Shadow Pulp

ThirdSkull2b-Copy.jpg

Painting Information:

Pulp: The Shadow

Artist: George Rozen

Medium: Oil on Canvas

Date: 1935

Size: 21" x 30"

Condition: Excellent

HISTORICAL INFORMATION

06-07-201090909PM-1.jpg

ThirdSkullb.jpg

ThirdSkulla.jpg

ThirdSkullc.jpg

Dwight

Dwight that's awesome! (worship)

Continuing my REH pulp collecting. I picked a couple of Famous Fantastic Mysteries from the early 50's. These are some of the last true pulps, as every one was starting to make the switch to the digest format. Both reprint REH novella that originally appeared in Weird Tales, only this time they're accompanied by cool Finlay illustrations.

Love this Skull-Face cover:

FamousFantasticMysteries1952-12fc.jpg

FamousFantasticMysteries1952-12int.jpg

This thread needs a bump!

So I've been seeing these Fritz Gurney oil-on-canvas reproduction of famous pulp covers on ebay for sometime now. I think David picked up a tarzan one and posted it earlier in this thread. Anyway, I finally decided to break down and get one - one of the Brundage Conan covers, naturally. Now if only I can convince my wife to let me hang it up. hm

Gurney01.jpg

Here's a recent pick-up I finally scanned.

It's a pulpish mag, in that it's in mag format but the contents are pure pulp. The book is edited by Don Wollheim and was short-lived: 4 issues in '41 - '42. The format is the first half is science-fiction, the second half is fantasy fiction. Wollheim did so much later throughout his career as an editor to promote fantasy that it's interesting to see him head this project. The first issue reprinted some REH verses. This is the last issue. The entire series is uncommon. Cover and plenty of interior illos by Bok -

109515.jpg.00540e2e9ac7adef438cff42e6a7f3ea.jpg

109516.jpg.edfbec2221d53e5a66ebcbd911f1ca6a.jpg

109517.jpg.381b5f1ae7fd4171eca8d1978a95dc4e.jpg

FamousFantasticMysteries1953-06fc.jpg

FamousFantasticMysteries1953-06int.jpg

In the intro to Del Rey's Bran Mak Morn, The last King, the writer says that "...what most fans regard as Howard's finest story of Bran Mak Morn and the Picts (and one of his very best, period), the tale of which Lovecraft wrote, 'Few readers will ever forget the hideous and compelling power of that macabre masterpiece, Worms of the Earth.'"

Definitely one of Howard's best!

Mike

FamousFantasticMysteries1953-06int.jpg

In the intro to Del Rey's Bran Mak Morn, The last King, the writer says that "...what most fans regard as Howard's finest story of Bran Mak Morn and the Picts (and one of his very best, period), the tale of which Lovecraft wrote, 'Few readers will ever forget the hideous and compelling power of that macabre masterpiece, Worms of the Earth.'"

Definitely one of Howard's best!

Mike

If I had to choose one story to appear in something like a Norton anthology or Library of America collection; something that would best represent Howard and the themes that he most cherished - this would be the story. You can definately make the case that this is his finest work.