• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT IF...Rob Liefeld drew WATCHMEN?

29 posts in this topic

Answer to the thread - NO, I wouldn't want Liefeld Watchmen (or any other art). While I did love the Watchmen story, I'm just not a big Gibbons fan, so it makes it very hard to pull the trigger on those pages for me. Having Liefeld draw any of those classic stories would not have helped matters.

In fact, I think that most of them attained classic comic status because they had that ever elusive confluence of great art and great story. There are many examples of arcs in comics that had a great artist or great story - but not both. In this medium, if one element does not match the heights of the other, the OA may not be in demand.

Because it is OA -- and generally speaking -- good work by a great artist on a bad story likely will command higher prices than the work of a poor artist on a great story. But there are exceptions, like Sandman pages, where some non-descript pages by some not very popular artists command $1500 each because the story was so good. An exception the other way is Neal Adams' work on the Six Million Dollar Man, which does not seem to have appreciated in value much (if at all) over the years.

Answer to the Bill Woo wife mystery - having noticed this before reading this thread (really, I was just oogling the Batman 608 cover for the last 3 days), I wrote to Bill about it. Bill's response - . "heck, I spend so much on his art, it feels like he could be my wife, how's that ??"

Best.

- A

While New Mutants # 87 is not in the same classic storyline as the Watchman, it is the first appearance of Cable. I'm sure many collectors would love to own the cover even if they hated Rob's art.

off topic clarification

Bill bought BOTH Jim Lee X-Men # 1 for $100K AND Rob Liefeld X-Force # 1 art for another $100K at the same auction. :o

Cheers!

N

You are right I am sure many people would want to own the New Mutants cover infact I am sure many people would want to own the covers to issue 85,86, 88, or 89 aswell.

They are all inked by Mcfarlane. I would love to own all five but not because of Rob. I would want to own them because they are Mcfarlane covers.

Agree, especially 87 looks more like McFarlane than Liefield. I always said that McFarlane was a really good penciller, but a SPECTACULAR inker. He can take garbage pencils and completely make them his own.