• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Circulation figures for 1983 & 1984

23 posts in this topic

When exactly did DC get heavily involved in Direct Sales? I'm too lazy to look it up

I think it was right about this period. The New Teen Titans and Legion books were simultaneously re-booted. New stories were in the Direct Only editions. Then a year later reprinted in the newstand editions. Classic B-school "2 part tariff" strategy: sell at a higher price to those willing to pay, sell basically the same thing at a lower price to those casual readers who were more price-sensitive.

I'm a little confused, the NTT series that came out in 1980, which is what sholud be reflected in a 1983/84 sales chart, was a newstand comic, I'm almost sure of it, having seen copies at newstands. The second Baxter series came out in 1984, but NTT didn't go away, it just got renamed "Tales..." and didn't become a reprint comic until 1985. So "Tales" should be on the list.

I think the author just didn't have all the information. Someone here who has a run of these should be able to deduce this information by looking around the letters section in every issue for the year where the info is/was published. Of course, some math will be involved because you need to figure out print run vs. circulation net of returns and such.

Pathetic as it sounds, this is the thing I often look for when reading my old back issues!

I'm a little confused, the NTT series that came out in 1980, which is what sholud be reflected in a 1983/84 sales chart, was a newstand comic, I'm almost sure of it, having seen copies at newstands. The second Baxter series came out in 1984, but NTT didn't go away, it just got renamed "Tales..." and didn't become a reprint comic until 1985. So "Tales" should be on the list.

I think the author just didn't have all the information. Someone here who has a run of these should be able to deduce this information by looking around the letters section in every issue for the year where the info is/was published. Of course, some math will be involved because you need to figure out print run vs. circulation net of returns and such.

Pathetic as it sounds, this is the thing I often look for when reading my old back issues!

You're exactly right. The Baxter format, direct sales Titans book was called "New Teen Titans," and the ongoing series was renamed "Tales of the New Teen Titans."

Doesn't explain the lack of data, though. The author would have had the same access to the books to look up the information as we do.

It is a mystery