• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

75 cent Marvel Canadian Price Variants

70 posts in this topic

I agree that the Canadian cover price should have a superior price as the amount printed alone would have been a fraction of the US run.

Do all Canadian cover prices carry the 'CC' symbol?

I think the premium should be 10x guide on any books with the Canadian cover price, and 20x guide for any newsstand edition. :baiting:

Growing up in small town Alberta, this would mean my collection of late 80s and early 90s drek is still worth storing! lol

Back in the days when Doug Sulipa sent me a copy of his Market Report months before everyone read it in Overstreet, he did have a few paragraphs on the rarity of

these Variants. Overstreet didn't print it in the guide, it was edited out.

Be interesting to me, on opinions why they may have done this.

Whatcha' guys think?

Opps! Forgot the Doctor!

October 1982 to January 1986 cover variants only (75 cent era)

Alpha Flight 1-30 (#1 $1.25 cover)

A-Team 1-3

Amazing 233-272

Avengers 224-263

Balder Mini Series 1-2 ($1.00 covers)

Beauty and The Beast Mini Series 1-4 ($1.00 covers)

Blade Runner Mini Series 1-2

Captain America 274-313

Cloak and Dagger Mini Series 1-4

Conan 139-178

Daredevil 187-226

Defenders 112-151

Doctor Strange 55-68

Ewoks 1-5

Falcon 1-4

Fantastic Four 247-286

Further Adventures of Indiana Jones 1-33

Gi Joe #4-43 (34-43 $1.00 covers)

Hawkeye Mini Series 1-4

Hercules Prince Of Power Mini Series 1-4

Hercules 1984 Mini Series 1-4

Iron Man 163-202 (200 $1.25 cover)

Incredible Hulk 276-315 (300 $1.25 cover)

Jack Of Hearts Mini Series 1-4

Last Starfighter 1-3 ($1.00 covers)

Magik Mini Series 1-4

Marvel Tales 144-183 (150 $1.25 cover?)

Marvel Two in One 92-100 (100 $1.25 cover)

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 1-12 ($1.00 covers)

Marvel Team Up 122-150 (150 $1.25 cover)

New Mutants #1-35 (21 $1.25 cover)

Obnoxio the Clown 1

Red Sonja #1-12 (1 $1.25 cover)

Red Sonja The Movie Mini Series 1-2 ($1.00 covers)

Rom #35-62

Saga of Crystar Crystal Warrior 1-11 (1 $2.25 cover)

Secret Wars II 1-7 ($1.00 covers)

Smurfs 1-3

Spectacular Spiderman 71-110 (75, 100 $1.25 covers)

Spider Woman #46-50 (50 $1.25)

Star Wars Return of the Jedi 1-4

Star Wars 64-103 (100 $1.25 cover)

Thing 1-31

Thor 324-363

Transformers 1-12 ($1.00 covers)

Uncanny X-men 162-201 (166, 175 $1.25 covers, 200 $1.50 cover)

US 1 1-12

Web Of Spiderman #1-10

Wolverine Limited Series 2-4

Xmen Alpha Flight 1-2 ($1.75 covers)

Xmen and the Micronaughts 1-4

The Doctor is "IN" :grin:

I'm not familiar with all of these titles but I am familiar with the copper Uncanny X-Men. Are we certain that separate 75 cent variants exist for all of them? I checked my copies and all of them, including the higher priced issues have the 75 cent Canadian price and the 25/30 pence UK price printed along with the US price. That includes my Winnipeg copy of 171 which I would expect to have a Canadian price. Did Marvel produce issues with three prices including the Canadian price and still produce separate issues with only the Canadian price? hm

UncannyX-Men1719.jpg

Did Marvel produce issues with three prices including the Canadian price and still produce separate issues with only the Canadian price? hm

I think they did, Steve --- I may have examples of this at home (thinking of my Thor 337/338 copies). I'll check later, and post a pic if this is the case. :hi:

That is a great picture Chris. Obviously, Marvel did produce both a Canadian-only 75-cent version and a multiple-price version (including the Canadian price) for the same book.

But, now I wonder if they did it for every titel/issue or just some (like on a test basis) hm

This will probably go unresponded to and may even end the thread, it being a PSA (Pov Serious Answer).

I am not sure how these would qualify as "variants". I see them along the line of the English pence copies: different price for a foreign country.

Note the US price slug states, for example, 60 cents - 75 cents in Canada. So those 75 cent books have always gone for 75 cents in Canada, be they a 60/75 cover price or a straight 75 cover price. There is no variant in the amount charged, unlike the 25/30, 30/35 type variants where different prices where used in the same market.

Are they cool? Sure. But so are pence copies. And they carry an un-premium.

I hear your point Pov but I am interested in this thread from the point of view of the history/information. It won't change my collecting habits in this case and I don't really care whether it affects the value of the books or not. The collectors in the market will determine the price - they always do.

Why would Marvel go to the additional expense of a separate print run for a Canadian price-only edition when the Canadian price was already listed on the books? Were Canadian retailers dissatisfied with the multiple-price style since the US price was given prominence via a larger font? This was around the time that distribution methods were changing so is it possible that one edition was direct market and another newsstand? (That doesn't seem to be the case from the issues shown). Why don't the Winnipeg Pedigree books have the Canadian price?

It seems likely that there were articles written about some of these issues 20-25 years ago when these books were being published so maybe one of our Board historians will turn something up. :wishluck:

Why don't the Winnipeg Pedigree books have the Canadian price?

Because the OO of that collection bought his books at a comic shop....not a variety store.

So you think the different editions are related to distribution?

Because the OO of that collection bought his books at a comic shop....not a variety store.

Absolutely. US newsstand/Canadian newstand/ Direct version. (thumbs u

This will probably go unresponded to and may even end the thread, it being a PSA (Pov Serious Answer).

I am not sure how these would qualify as "variants". I see them along the line of the English pence copies: different price for a foreign country.

Note the US price slug states, for example, 60 cents - 75 cents in Canada. So those 75 cent books have always gone for 75 cents in Canada, be they a 60/75 cover price or a straight 75 cover price. There is no variant in the amount charged, unlike the 25/30, 30/35 type variants where different prices where used in the same market.

I am not a GA collector, but don't the Canadian editions of GA books carry a premium?

(thumbs u I ithink that hits on the explanation. Here are the Thors I was thinking of. The issues with the 75¢ CDN price only are newsstand editions with bar code. The issues with all 3 prices (US/CDN/UK) were direct, with either a Spidey or Thor's hammer in the UPC box.

P1010020.jpg

I am not a GA collector, but don't the Canadian editions of GA books carry a premium?

Actually that varies. Some are more. Some seen as the same. Some less. Really depends on the particular book as far as GA goes.

My take is based on the term "Price Variant". I just don't see these as true price variants.

Absolutely. US newsstand/Canadian newstand/ Direct version. (thumbs u

That fits in with the timing too because Marvel began direct distribution in the US with Wolverine 1 in 1982 and the 75-cent Canadian variant seems to have began the next month with Wolverine 2.

Forgive me for arriving to the thread late and not necessarily reading everything. I can only speak from experience and only about ASM.

With the exception of some early annuals(1 and 2), all Canadian-priced-only copies are newsstand editions. For ASM, regular Canadian-priced issues exist from 233-280. Some Annuals(17, 18, etc.), which were not on the above lists, also have Candian-priced-only copies. There were 3 version of comics, a direct edition, a US-priced newsstand edition, and a Canadian-priced newsstand edition. IMO, the rarest ASM Canadian issues appear to be Annual 1, Annual 2, and 238 WITH the tattooz.

I have dupes if anyone is interested in buying/trading/giving and I also need issues 254 and Annual 18.