• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Contest Results: ROUND 14

34 posts in this topic

Looking at the number of undergrades given in each round supports the theory that there is a continuing develoupment of stricter grading standards in the hobby. We all know how much the standards have changed over the last 25 years, but IMO on these boards alone, I think the propensity to assign a strict grade is even greater. I myself have consistently ungraded in nearly every round. I have always thought that many of the books in the grading threads were getting strict grades and usually because no one wants to come on there and post a higher grade than the grade anyone before them posted. Newbies like to come on and grade strict as well, I think they think they are establishing credibility. One reason why I came up with the grading pole rather than the open forum is It doesn't allow people to be influenced by the other gardes given, or feel the need to garde with tighter standards than they normally would.

I'd say the members on these CGC boards may be collectively some of the tightest graders in the hobby.

Good points, although I wonder if it holds for lower grade books. It's a whole different skill grading books with lots of defects, and there seems to be more room for variation there...and thus more room for overgrading.

For me, the tendency to undergrade comes less from CGC books and my experience on these boards than on what I used to use to grade, namely the Overstreet guide. That book is STRICT, especially on the high grades.

I'd say the members on these CGC boards may be collectively some of the tightest graders in the hobby of other peoples' books.

Don't thank me; happy to help. (thumbs u

Yup, start grading your books that tightly when you're SELLING and I'll care. :whistle:

Looking at the number of undergrades given in each round supports the theory that there is a continuing develoupment of stricter grading standards in the hobby. We all know how much the standards have changed over the last 25 years, but IMO on these boards alone, I think the propensity to assign a strict grade is even greater. I myself have consistently ungraded in nearly every round. I have always thought that many of the books in the grading threads were getting strict grades and usually because no one wants to come on there and post a higher grade than the grade anyone before them posted. Newbies like to come on and grade strict as well, I think they think they are establishing credibility. One reason why I came up with the grading pole rather than the open forum is It doesn't allow people to be influenced by the other gardes given, or feel the need to garde with tighter standards than they normally would.

I'd say the members on these CGC boards may be collectively some of the tightest graders in the hobby.

With all due respect, I believe your conclusions are erroneous. There is a much greater chance that the propensity for undergrading in the contest arises from the general inability to read large scans, and the overall inability to grade . . . period. :grin:

No offense intended :foryou:

Ok, I can do that . . . :grin:

:blahblah: