• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM # 2 in 8.5....Pretty Cool

35 posts in this topic

I haven't noticed any of that yet. I think everyone so far just likes to display what they have and see what other collectors have.

Quite possibly so, but the system itself appears to be created with competitiveness in mind. The scoring system and the sorted lists ranking the collections seem designed to evoke competitiveness amongst the people who post their books.

Yup,

the points scores are like a ruler to measure your BSD with! insane.gif

Plus,.... if I was collecting a run say like ASM 1-25....why would I want to let everyone know which books I was missing??....competition on these books in high grade is tough enuf without announcing that you are looking for them...

JMHBWO

J.D.

Yup,

Plus,.... if I was collecting a run say like ASM 1-25....why would I want to let everyone know which books I was missing??....competition on these books in high grade is tough enuf without announcing that you are looking for them...

JMHBWO

J.D.

Well...you don't have to use your name to describe your set so unless you advise people who you are, no one's going to know. Also, if the books that you need are high in demand, I don't think the fact that you them would affect the ending price. sumo.gif

I haven't noticed any of that yet. I think everyone so far just likes to display what they have and see what other collectors have.

Quite possibly so, but the system itself appears to be created with competitiveness in mind. The scoring system and the sorted lists ranking the collections seem designed to evoke competitiveness amongst the people who post their books.

Well...the coinees on this forum (yep...I sometimes read their junk) complain that the registry on the other board (PCGS) has become too competitive and that too many people were buying the coin for the grade and not consider the actually quality of it. Also, they have mentioned that the registry section over there has been a spammer's heaven. People get spammed with offers to sell them a higher grade coin to improve their score! frown.gif

Yup,

JMHBWO

J.D.

Well...you don't have to use your name to describe your set so unless you advise people who you are, no one's going to know. Also, if the books that you need are high in demand, I don't think the fact that you them would affect the ending price. sumo.gif

I would agree with you but I have no idea what the foque you just said.

confused.gif

J.D.

Yup,

JMHBWO

J.D.

I would agree with you but I have no idea hat the foque you just said.

confused.gif

J.D.

Dammit...I am saying that those books are in such demand that the registry won't really affect the ending prices unless people start buying the label to increase their ranking. I can understand that you may get spammed with offers to sell books that you are missing. insane.gif

I actually posted a set of X-Men 94 to 143 and deleted it a few minutes after I created it for this exact reason.

I actually posted a set of X-Men 94 to 143 and deleted it a few minutes after I created it for this exact reason.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Why not create an anonymous or non-descriptive name for your set so people don't know that it's you? cool.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Why not create an anonymous or non-descriptive name for your set so people don't know that it's you? cool.gif

So if people don't know it's me...what's the point in posting sets again? That concept keeps escaping me somehow. If the scans were more prominent than the scoring, I'd think differently...but it appears to be more about the competition than the books. If people were more interested in sharing their collections for the sake of sharing, I'd expect to see more scans...but since all I see are numbers I tend to think that's what the point of it is, and that's not the primary reason I buy high grade. I buy high grade because it looks good and it's harder to find, which is extending my collecting of my favorite titles by years, if not decades.

So if people don't know it's me...what's the point in posting sets again? That concept keeps escaping me somehow. If the scans were more prominent than the scoring, I'd think differently...but it appears to be more about the competition than the books.

But...you think people will screw you around if they knew what books you need? They already know your eBay ID and can track your bidding on certain books unless you choose to snipe them. crazy.gif

But...you think people will screw you around if they knew what books you need? They already know your eBay ID and can track your bidding on certain books unless you choose to snipe them. crazy.gif

They don't know what I buy privately, from dealers, from cons, or from Heritage, but they would if I posted it in the registry! If people are tracking what I do own, that doesn't mean they can just assume that I don't own the things they don't see me buy.

Most of us high-grade guys going for hard-to-get sets recognize each others' names...after I posted that one set, it occurred to me that I was creating a roadmap to what I'd be bidding on. That doesn't mean I hide everything I own with some sort of jealous, competitive passion...I've shared that web site I list my books on with many people, including several forum members, all of whom are also "competitors" for the books I collect.

I agree with your points. The way the thing is set up, it just seems like more of an ego contest and is against my method of buying. I go for the quality of the copy, compared to the amount I'm paying, so I'm very picky. Unfortunetly, this would not come through if I listed my sets. I have some killer CGC 8.5's and 9.0's, that look nicer than some 9.2's and 9.4's, but all people would see is the number, and that's also how I would be "scored", so the point of how I actually collect will be lost in the process. As it is right now, it's a label competition, which is basically just a "who has more money" registry.

And like James already mentioned, we all know who have the insane 9.4-9.8 S.A runs, which will never be beaten.

And of course, the registry does not factor in raw books, which is also a problem.