• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Need Help--My computer is infected with spyware

55 posts in this topic

First thing I do when I get a new computer is install ZoneAlarm (firewall) and Avast (spyware). ZA catches attempts to install spyware and I use Firefox which stops that too. In the past when I had a problem, it was adaware and the other one, spybotsearchanddestroy or whatever.

Actually, the answer is easy. Buy a Mac.

Actually, its even easier...and less expensive.

Use Firefox as your browser. .

F**kin' A (thumbs u

Spybot and Adware didn't help me. Firefox works.

I've been using Firefox for a long time but was unaware of this benefit. is it built in or do I have to add a plug in?

There are free spyware scanners Adaware & Spybot Search & Destroy Run both of these and see what comes up.

These are both pretty good. (It's better to run both since each has a separate database and may have entries the other one doesn't.)

Another program that is FREE for personal use is AVG which has both an anti-virus program and an anti-spyware program.

http://free.grisoft.com/

My norton recently expired. Is this a suitable replacement? :wishluck:

There are free spyware scanners Adaware & Spybot Search & Destroy Run both of these and see what comes up.

These are both pretty good. (It's better to run both since each has a separate database and may have entries the other one doesn't.)

Another program that is FREE for personal use is AVG which has both an anti-virus program and an anti-spyware program.

Oh please don't re-up Norton, otherwise known as The Black Hole Of Processor Cycles. I use AVG; it's free, nimble, and does not suck resources like an Oreck with a supercharger

Guys I need some advice. I have a pop up on my computer.."Your computer is infected!" Windows has detected spyware infection." I keep getting pop-ups from Spyguardpro and Malwarealarm. Keep getting these popups and my computer is slow. What should I do??

Go to www.ewido.net and run the on-line scanner on the left...

free and the best on-line scanner by far (thumbs u

If you want a paid program, the best out there right now is Webroot's SpySweeper.

John 2c

Good luck!

It is a SUPERIOR replacement. (thumbs u

Another thought...

I recently upgraded to Vista Ultimate 64bit edition. I believe (don't quote me) there is only 1 virus out for the 64bit platform... sounds as safe, if not safer, than a Mac! I think the situation is the same for the 64bit XP, but can be wrong...

(shrug)

It is a SUPERIOR replacement. (thumbs u

Thanks OG, Sal and Jayman! Just saved me some $$$. :foryou: