• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #55?

34 posts in this topic

I'm not saying they are great pieces of literature, but it's a significant title. Besides, how many "great reads" can you name that came out of the early/mid S.A? Have you ever tried reading any of the S.A run of X-Men? It's awful.

I think when we're talking about first appearances of a hero or villian of old from Marvel's S.A. it's "usually" over look when it comes to great story. So I wouldn't ignore the old Avengers and concentrate directly to only certain story lines. If the stories are awful but it's significance of a character being introduced, I wouldn't miss the chance of getting it in my collection. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If the stories are awful but it's significance of a character being introduced, I wouldn't miss the chance of getting it in my collection. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't speculate. I just buy comics I like.

Your pretty bad at reading minds because your way off , who said I'm speculating,I 'm saying I look to "collect" silver-age 1st appearances and or events in Marvel and DC history of heros and villians at grades I can afford not blow a wad of cash at anything that is a grade of 9.0 or higher. I look to find issue that is important to "me" rather than hoard on copies of HG and flip them. I appreciate the story that the writer and artist that had a hand in creating that character then blindly bidding on a 9.8 of a multitude mid #50's through #60's issues line of Amazing Spider-man. If you can't understand that then you Joe are not a collector in my book. Please do take offends but understand where I'm coming from. I enjoying come to this board and type to my fellow board-members. Again, do not assume to second guess my thought.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I'am confused...Why does CGC graded copy of Avengers 55 not state that this issue is Ultron-5 first appearance and this CGG graded copy does....... 893frustrated.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

CGC Avengers 55

CGG Avengers 55

Perhaps because they put it on the Avengers #58 label by mistake:

Avengers58.jpg

The Crimson Cowl first appeared in Avengers #54 leading the Masters of Evil. Ultron's face is revealed at the end of that issue, but he is not named (just called a robot). In #55, the robot names himself as Ultron-5, so I agree with you that this should actually be the first appearance. He even appears in #57, so it looks like CGC has some updating to do with its labels.

There is no mention of the first appearance of Ultron in the latest Overstreet, by the way.

Just trying to live up to my avatar... smile.gif

- D.

Well thanks for clearing that confusion............... clap.gif

Sure! I sent a PM to Steve Borock as well, in case they want to change their label or provide us with a reason why they think #58 is the 1st appearance (although it clearly is not).

- Dave

Hmm, I did a little more research, and I believe CGC may have already corrected this error. I did a Cert Lookup on my #55, and the Comments say: "Crimson Cowl revealed as Ultron-5 (1st Appearance)."

I also looked up #58, and it has the Ultron reference removed.

So, I would say you and I have comics that were graded before they made the correction to the database. If this really bothers you, then I am sure you can send your book in for a reholder, and they will update the label.

- Dave