• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT--But relevant!! Scary stuff for collectors...UPDATE

32 posts in this topic

Been meaning to get that book. it gives the history of the card. it came from an uncut sheet and was trimmed down to perfection (for a card from 1909). so the story goes.

That's it in a nutshell. The funny thing is that the sheet it was cut from would be worth more intact. Evidently, it contained cards that are even rarer than the T206 Wagner.

I havent read the book but i know a lot about baseball cards as that was my hobby since i was a kid and well before i got into comics and supplies. The wagner card is the rarest card from that era. I agree that an uncut sheet with many of the cards from that set should be worth substantially more. The story goes that he told the tobacco company that he didnt want his name affiliated in any way with tobacco so they pulled his card, hence making it even more rare. another story goes that he thought he should be getting more money from the company and asked his card to be pulled. If that uncut sheet was on the market today, i could see it going for upper millions to ten million.

I got a couple of uncut sheets with Shaq on them, think they will be worth that someday?? :roflmao:

There was only one other card that sold for more money, that was a lindy linstrum card from the 30's. it was one of a kind scam card from the company.

I'm just guessing, but it looks like the scammer was trying to allocate another, similar Mantle card and play the switcheroo game. That happens all the time, and I guess this guy was trying for the Holy Grail.

I havent read the book but i know a lot about baseball cards as that was my hobby since i was a kid and well before i got into comics and supplies. The wagner card is the rarest card from that era. I agree that an uncut sheet with many of the cards from that set should be worth substantially more. The story goes that he told the tobacco company that he didnt want his name affiliated in any way with tobacco so they pulled his card, hence making it even more rare. another story goes that he thought he should be getting more money from the company and asked his card to be pulled. If that uncut sheet was on the market today, i could see it going for upper millions to ten million.

I got a couple of uncut sheets with Shaq on them, think they will be worth that someday?? :roflmao:

There was only one other card that sold for more money, that was a lindy linstrum card from the 30's. it was one of a kind scam card from the company.

Story b is more likely.As a coach on a 48 leaf card he has the biggest wad of chew ever seen in his cheek.So he had a complete change of heart or wanted more money.

Dennis

I'm just guessing, but it looks like the scammer was trying to allocate another, similar Mantle card and play the switcheroo game. That happens all the time, and I guess this guy was trying for the Holy Grail.

I think that was not his end game only his way out. Sounds like outright intended robbery.

A quarter million can tempt the best of us.

I think that was not his end game only his way out. Sounds like outright intended robbery.

A quarter million can tempt the best of us.

quarter million dollars..... :cloud9:

From SGC's website --> Link

The following is SGC's official response to the unfortunate events the past few days. If anyone has any questions, please feel fee to post them here or contact me directly at sskeffington@sgccard.com We thank you for your patience and understanding concerning this matter.

At some point in 2007, Jim Haas submitted a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card to SGC for grading. The card had been graded a "10 Pristine" by Global Authentication. At SGC's request, a representative from Global removed the card from its holder so that it could be properly examined by SGC.

After reviewing the card, in accordance with its normal standards, SGC awarded the card the grade of "96 - Mint 9", due to two minor imperfections on the surface. Mr. Haas asked SGC to review the card a second time. After reviewing the card a second time, it was determined once again to be a "96 - Mint 9."

At no point did any representative of SGC perform - or agree to perform - any "restoration" on the card to improve its condition. SGC does not restore cards. SGC is a grading company, and its role is simply to assess the condition of trading cards. Mr. Haas seemed unhappy with the result.

When Mr. Haas requested return of the card, on the advice of counsel Mr. Forman requested a release protecting Mr. Forman from any allegation that SGC damaged the card, diminishing its value. Mr. Haas was provided with the identity of SGC's legal counsel. Until this week, SGC's counsel never received a call from either Mr. Haas or Mr. Haas' attorney. While waiting for Mr. Haas to contact SGC's counsel, the card remained safely in SGC's custody. Today, the parties entered into a consent order transferring the card to a third party for inspection prior to its return to Mr. Haas.

We feel that it is important to note that a number of inaccuracies about how this story has been reported - largely due to unfamiliarity with our industry - have cast SGC in a negative light. Hopefully this statement will explain that SGC is a "grading and authentication" company and not a "rating and restoration" company, and that our business remains to assess the authenticity and condition of trading cards. We categorically deny any allegation that SGC or Dave Forman agreed to restore the card for Mr. Haas, and hope that this episode can now be put to rest so that we may continue on our mission to remain the highest quality grading company in our industry.

Sean Skeffington

Vice President

When Mr. Haas requested return of the card, on the advice of counsel Mr. Forman requested a release protecting Mr. Forman from any allegation that SGC damaged the card, diminishing its value. Mr. Haas was provided with the identity of SGC's legal counsel.

Ah, you gotta love blackmail. :cloud9: