• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Bronze Age Review: Lois Lane 106 "I Am Curious (Black)!"

83 posts in this topic

In Florida, Gov. Jeb Bush said an offer of asylum to Bartman might be a good idea, and an oceanfront retreat in Pompano Beach offered him a free three-month stay if he needed to get out of Chicago. 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifif i were him i'd take, they'd probably treat him like royality down there right now. 893whatthe.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifdevil.gif

Most well known to the general public? Absolutely no question.

1) Spider-Man

2) Hulk

3) Captain America

I have to laugh when people put up the Silver Surfer. Pick 10 schmoes off the street. Ask them to name 10 comic book characters. I'll bet NONE of them says the Silver Surfer. They will say:

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, Robin, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny.

sorry, i'm depressed. [!@#%^&^] cubs.

Thanks, Donut, that looks like a pretty good list.

1) Spider-Man

2) Hulk

3) Captain America

I have to laugh when people put up the Silver Surfer. Pick 10 schmoes off the street. Ask them to name 10 comic book characters. I'll bet NONE of them says the Silver Surfer. They will say:

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, Robin, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny.

FD - I would have to say Spiderman, Hulk and X-Men as far as General Public. Cap has not had a film in a long time (and that one was not so hot) but X-Men film was very well recieved. So I say replace Cap with X-Men for general public.

(You listening, Joanna Crisis Laureat Of The CGC Boards?)

1) Spider-Man

2) Hulk

3) Captain America

Thanks, Donut, that looks like a pretty good list.

What about the FF? confused.gif

What about the FF?

I will say same thing about "general public" regards FF as I said about Cap - the last FF movie was - well - so bad you find it black market at cons 27_laughing.gif

X-Men made a hit with the gen public - hence - I say the three current movies are the three General Public Marvels: Spidey, Hulk and X-Men.

(You have to really think outside the box for this one - my inclination would be Eerie, Mister Mystery and Horrific! wink.gif )

FD - I would have to say Spiderman, Hulk and X-Men as far as General Public. Cap has not had a film in a long time (and that one was not so hot) but X-Men film was very well recieved. So I say replace Cap with X-Men for general public.

I am listening, Little Orchid, but the X-Men (and FF) are a team, and I'm not so sure that would fit well with the structure. Right now, I'm more interested in individual characters as opposed to teams. I'm also interested in non-comic heroes, and am considering Xena and Buffy. Broaden the appeal, so to speak.

In Florida, Gov. Jeb Bush said an offer of asylum to Bartman might be a good idea, and an oceanfront retreat in Pompano Beach offered him a free three-month stay if he needed to get out of Chicago. 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifif i were him i'd take, they'd probably treat him like royality down there right now. 893whatthe.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifdevil.gif

problem is the guys is a true Cubs fan 893naughty-thumb.gif - I was thinking he may commit suicide like the driver who crashed the Staten Island ferry...what a sad world ...

I am listening, Little Orchid, but the X-Men (and FF) are a team, and I'm not so sure that would fit well with the structure. Right now, I'm more interested in individual characters as opposed to teams. I'm also interested in non-comic heroes, and am considering Xena and Buffy. Broaden the appeal, so to speak.

893frustrated.gif

Arrgghhhh -I never really picked up on the solo character thang. Hmmm....maybe you could make Dazzler the next Wonder Woman? 893whatthe.gif

While not Marvel, Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers are well known names. Within Marvel have to agree with Cap as the best known hero.

Non-comic chars? Season 1 of 3 FOREVER KNIGHT dvd is coming out 10/21 with a ton of hardcore fans lusting after it. (If you don;t know him a pre-Angel hero - evil vampire gets a conscience and turns good - becomes a Cop In Canada - seeking to right the wrongs he did by helping others (Nick Knight would be the hero there).

PS - apologies to those who got it and stuck to individuals while I added a team. 893frustrated.giffrown.gif893frustrated.giffrown.gif

Thanks, Pov, some good suggestions there. I've never seen Forever Knight, so that would take a bunch of research. That would also tap into that whole vampire thing, and Buffy might cover that (Angel will most likely be referenced in her chapter). I sort of, kind of, er... have a thing about vampires (hate 'em). Just not my cuppa, so I'll probably keep that down to one chapter. (I watched Buffy for a couple of seasons due to peer pressure. I thought it was okay, and I think there's plenty of stuff I could find to talk about in that series. But I'm primarily including it because it had a lot of fans and that increases the marketability of the book).

As for the team thing, I haven't ruled out teams, I was just hoping to do it with individuals. I may go with X-Men simply because of the movies and the increased awareness that's brought. Plus, they do have an interesting concept to explore (the whole prejudice/intolerance angle).

Okay, thanks guys! I'm busy working on the next part of the LL 106 (the subject of this thread) and should have it finished in a couple of hours. They take a long time because of all the graphic stuff. You'll have it in the morning for sure.

-- Joanna

Should I re-read the book again to determine if your review is consistent with the story or full of artistic content? 893whatthe.gif

If you'd like. I'm including the bulk of it in graphics, but some panels are missing. I don't think I could go too far afield, as a lot of people appear to own this issue. Then again, would it really matter if I veered too far?

-- Joanna

Should I re-read the book again to determine if your review is consistent with the story or full of artistic content? 893whatthe.gif

If you'd like. I'm including the bulk of it in graphics, but some panels are missing. I don't think I could go too far afield, as a lot of people appear to own this issue. Then again, would it really matter if I veered too far?

-- Joanna

For a purist like me....yes! wink.gif

-- Joanna

For a purist like me....yes! wink.gif

Then you'd best get reading.

I would say as far as the gerneral public viewing Marvel comic book characters (excluding teams), my guesses would be:

1. Spider-Man

2. Daredevil

3. The Hulk

4. Wolverine

5. Captain America

6. Punisher

7. Blade

What's happened so far: White Lois goes to Little Africa and is shunned, so she becomes Black Lois. BL meets SL (slum lady) and learns about tenements and poverty. Lois, still black, continues her exploration of Little Africa. Let's now join the story in progress:

There appears to be a problem with schooling, as kindergarten is held in an empty lot with the kids sitting on crates, listening to a man tell them that black is beautiful. He says it several times. He makes them repeat it. He looks a tad... demonic as he says it. The kids don't appear to be afraid of him, but that wild look in his eyes chills me a bit. Am I discovering a heretofore unknown prejudice or am I remembering being in school with wacko Miss Herzog and her Hitleresque learning techniques? (a shiver goes down Joanna's spine). Definitely the Herzog effect.

LL106U.jpg

Black may be beautiful, but... demonic possession never is.

(Social commentary: I've often heard the argument that if white people shouted the slogan "White is Beautiful" it would be deemed racist and bigoted, yet the whole "Black is Beautiful" thing was cheered in the late 60's/early 70's. This is a specious argument because society always allows the downtrodden to say what the ruling elite cannot when it comes to a struggle for equality. That's why there can be a women's lib, yet a 'man's lib' is laughable -- liberated from what: higher pay, higher social position, being the ruling class? "Black is beautiful" worked only because history had deemed them "unbeautiful" for centuries. To climb the ladder to equality, the non-ruling class has to fuel itself and the ruling class is not allowed to steal that fuel. The two panels that have the "Black is beautiful" kindergarten class is, therefore, a wonderful representation of the system at work. Tell small children who fear their futures that they are beautiful. That they can have pride and hope. That they can achieve. Tell them often enough and they will grow up believing it. That belief, more than anything else, will fuel the social change. Despite the crazy look in the teacher's eyes, I really like these two panels for what they represent in the mirror of 30+ years ago. I think they are far more powerful than the falling plaster, or the whitey is bad stuff.)

A hand touches Lois on the shoulder and she turns to see Angry Black Man from the day before (the one who called her whitey, and blamed her for all the ills of the world when she passed by his soapbox)! Only now he's Handsome Black Man (or because he actually has a name: Dave Stevens), cuz she's black and foxy. He feels that he recognizes Lois and tries to pin down from where he knows her. Lois is speechless (we must assume she remembers him and therefore knows that he saw her earlier as a white woman). He looks nice. I no longer hate him.

LL106V.jpg

Yup, same guy.

Before they can explore this further (and dashing Darth's jungle fever dreams), Dave sees some teenagers heading for an alley. Not only are they skipping school, Dave knows they're up to no good. He immediately turns into a crusading hero, ready to take on the baddies who threaten the youth. He also turns into a male chauvinist pig (I'm using me some 70's lingo, baby!) by telling Lois to stay out of it because "...this is a man's business!" (He could have said, "Stay here, there might be trouble" or warned of danger or something like that, but instead he had to get all Hammer on her and proclaim it a man thing). He doesn't look nice anymore. I'm starting to hate him again.

LL106W.jpg

Let's see, he's racist and sexist. Oh yeah, real swoon material.

Lois -- who has never run from danger in her life -- follows him. She's a reporter. Danger is her life (and no man is going to tell that feminist where she can and cannot go!).

As they run toward the end of the alley we see the teenagers talking to two guys dressed as mobsters/crooks. (Hello, teenagers? I'd like you to meet Bad Influences. Bad Influences? Teenagers.) The teens have been stealing so that they can buy drugs. Dave is very upset about this, as he should be. Unfortunately, the crooks are also upset at Dave, thinking he's probably "the fuzz". They shoot.

LL106X.jpg

Now here's something that's nice

to see! Black and white, working

together in harmony.

Lois escapes injury, but Dave is hit!

LL106Y.jpg

"My... favorite purple... shirt...!

Ruined!

Out of the sky come two beams of red-hot heat vision, melting the guns "to taffy" (Taffy? How gangsterlike). In the background, we see Lois carrying Dave's injured body. Lois, you Amazon! You've been working out! Not even a fireman's carry, she's holding him like Rhett held Scarlett when he raced up the stairs for some hot southern comfort.

LL106Z.jpg

"You want to see man's work? I could bench press you, ya pansy!"

Superman makes short work of the 'hoods', then flies Lois and Dave to a nearby hospital. Lois is very worried about her new friend.

The doctor tells the nurse to get Dave's blood type fast because he's fading. Things are very tense. Lois is very worried (and I think her babushka is tilting).

LL106bb.jpg

So... anyone think blood type is going

to be a key to this story?

"Tense minutes tick by like spurting heartbeats..." (ewww) He's O negative! But oh no! The hospital doesn't "have enough funds for all [blood] types".

Now just hang on a golldurned second here. O- is the universal donor. If you don't have O-, you might as well not have anything. So if you're buying blood, you make sure you get that one first. Not A+, not B-, not even O+ -- you need O-. So why in the Wide, Wide World of Sports would this hospital decide not to order O-? It isn't like they're out of it. He distinctly says they can't afford all the blood types; i.e. they choose to buy some and skip others. So hey, I've got an idea, let's not buy ANY of the universal donor!

Sure, I realize that it's a set-up for the next panel (raise your hands if you've figured out that Lois is O- and rolling up her sleeve?) but COME ON PEOPLE!!! This is lazy writing! Find some logical way to make the donation necessary, not this golldurned, idiotic, "we need to prove we're poor again so we'll let common sense fly out the window" and "we need an excuse for Lois to donate" shinola!!!!!

Okay, I've calmed down now. And by pure coincidence, at approx. 7:45 this evening, I'm going to be lying on a Red Cross table filling up a bag with my own O- blood. Yes, I'm the universal donor, and the Red Cross adores me. Every 54 days, I drop some reddies on the Crossers. If you ever need blood, I'm your gal.

Back to the story. Superman wishes he could volunteer to give blood, but needles break on his arm.

LL106cc.jpg

Lois looks bored. Most likely she

recognizes the stupidity of a

hospital that doesn't stock O-.

Suddenly, out of the blue in a completely unexpected story twist, Lois announces, "I- I'm O Negative! Just like him!" Shocking! Pardon me while I retrieve my jaw. (Okay, I'm still upset about the lazy writing. It's one of my biggest pet peeves. I hate contrived events in storytelling).

LL106dd.jpg

Surprise!!!!

And then we get some dramatic blood donation panels. It almost looks like Lois is being told by ground control how to land a pilot-less plane. "Open and close your fist slowly... slowly... till I tell you to stop!" (Doctor, her fist! It's opening and closing too fast! We're all going to die!)

As the tense blood donation continues, Lois worries about Dave's survival.

LL106ee.jpg

Blood donation as a thrilling climax!

You don't see that every day.

Then, miraculously, Dave opens his eyes. Who knew that a pint of blood was a cure for a gunshot wound to the chest? It's not like anyone operated on him.

LL106ff.jpg

Dave looks like he's never seen her

before in his life. Either that or he

sucked on a lemon.

Now that Dave is okay, it's time for Lois to confront Superman, so that we can tie all this into the splash page. She asks him if he'd marry her even if she remained black.

LL106gg.jpg

Superman looks like he's sucking in his gut.

Superman is so upset that one of the parts of his S emblem is not inked. Now that's upset! He reminds her that he is an alien -- the universal outsider -- and that his skin is tougher than steel (funny, him mentioning his skin. Almost sounds like a set-up for a retort. Nah, Lois wouldn't take that bait). Lois says, "But... your skin is the right color!" (So is yours, Lois, or have you forgotten that you've only been black for a few hours?)

LL106hh.jpg

"It's pure coincidence that Krypton was

populated only by white people that wear

headbands! Don't you see the irony, Lois?

I could be wearing a headband right now --

Would you marry a man in a headband?

Well, would you???"

So Supes goes into his 'my enemies, blah blah, deadly danger, blah, blah..." until Lois accuses him of being a broken record (This was back in the days when they had records instead of CDs, so that the saying makes sense, unlike nowadays!).

But before she becomes a broken record about being black, she suddenly begins to change. She's black. She's Hispanic. She's whitey, once again. Apparently, it didn't last the usual 24 hours this time.

LL106jj.jpg

She feels like she's shedding her

skin? So the color was like a lizard's

scales or something? That's just weird.

The nurse comes in to tell her ol' Dave has been asking for her, but gosh golly, the nurse sure gets a shock. Some white girl stole that sister's clothes! Nah, she somehow immediately grasps that Lois, whom she had only known as black, had suddenly turned into a white woman. I guess we have to chalk this one up to living in a world where people can fly and burn things with their eyes. It's tough to surprise the ordinary Joe and Jane for long.

LL106kk.jpg

The nurse is really Dr. Evil in disguise!

Lois is torn. Does she really want to see him now? Now that she's white? "He called me whitey! His enemy! What will he say now?" Superman says, "You must see him, Lois, or you'll never find out! If he still hates you... with your blood in his veins... there may never be peace in this world!" (No pressure or anything. The fate of the world rests on this moment, but don't be nervous.)

The last page has no captions or dialogue. Here it is:

LL106ll.jpg

There is hope after all! Peace can prevail! Dave was also able to figure out that Lois is the black woman who gave him blood and now she's a white woman and hey, isn't that the same woman who passed by on the street, but what does it matter since we're all brothers and sisters under our skin. Or something like that.

And that, my friends, is the inimitable, incredible, completely relevant, now, today truth!

Please bid heavily on my auctions. Thank you.

-- Joanna