• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics - Recession proof or not?

106 posts in this topic

although he does feel that comic collectible gains will taper off with the newer generations.

Obviously, as the guy is probably halfway intelligent.

What that chart is really saying is that the guy who bought comics early on, and sold them now, came out extremely well, but those paying nosebleed prices now... well..

George, you need to read the book "The World is Flat" to see that this isnt the case, especially to the degree you imply

While Globalization may be bearing more blame then it deserves in my argument, that fact (which I conceed) hardly makes the government jobs data any more accurate.

George, you need to read the book "The World is Flat" to see that this isnt the case, especially to the degree you imply

While Globalization may be bearing more blame then it deserves in my argument, that fact (which I conceed) hardly makes the government jobs data any more accurate.

Statistics are just estimates, and I was not downplaying the numbers, just comparing them to other periods in time and when you compare them, these are not high. When YOU are the one who is unemployed, or underemployed, it doesn't really matter whether you are the only one or one of many..to you...it's (and rightly so) a tragedy...

Jobs are changing...and that's something else that we need to look at...it used to be that you could take a job with a large company at IBM, or General Foods, or any established company and plan on staying there for life...till you got a pension. Those pensions are fast changing and even the Government, is moving more and more towards hiring temporary workers, it saves a tremendous amount on benefits. It also makes it harder for managers, to train people because they know they are temporary...and harder to get people to put their hearts into their jobs...and I don't know what the answer is going to be down the road...but things ARE changing and this is not so new either, it's been happening for at least the past 10 years.

I'm not afraid of buying comic books right now, I think they are as safe as they ever were (as long as you were fairly sane in your purchases) . I AM and always was afraid of speculating, just like I was afraid to speculate on real estate during the boom...that's because I tend to be very conservative financially...works for me emotionally...but I'll never be rich.

RE: Aussieruss

A weakening U.S. dollar translated to colletibles means the following:

Th U.S. dollar was off last year between 10 and 15% against most of the other major currencies around the world.

This means that if you bought a comic book (which is a dollar denominated asset), you would have had to have had a return slightly greater than 10 to 15% just to break even in "real" terms.

Another way to look at it factoring in a 10% devaluation in the U.S. dollar. Person A buys a comic book for $100 dollars. A year later he sells it for $110. Does Person A have a gain? In real terms, no, because a $110 is worth less than the the original $100 paid in real terms.

Person B, on the other hand, takes his $100 dollars and buys Canadian dollars yielding a 5% return.(for example...as simple as opening up a Canadian savings account and making a deposit). After 1 year he sells his Canadian dollars and converts it back to U.S dollars. Does Person B have a gain? Yes, and in real terms as well because it will only cost 90 Canadian dollars to buy $100 in U.S. dollars.....so the return is plus 15% (some of which is a "real" return).

I have taken some minor liberties with this example.....but I think it does capture the essence of a weakening U.S. Dollar.

In your situation....keep in mind that the Australian dollar has been gaining strength against the U.S dollar and will very likely continue to do so. By owning a U.S. dollar denominated asset, you are always "swimming against the rivers' current" as you will need to sell your book for as much money as your currency has appreciated against the U.S. dollar just to break even.

...works for me emotionally...but I'll never be rich.[/color]

but you'll be happy reading some comics!

...works for me emotionally...but I'll never be rich.[/color]

but you'll be happy reading some comics!

Exactly! :acclaim: