• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer 1 and 2 CGC 9.6

23 posts in this topic

I guess the true believers and best buds forgot to bid as it appears the now reserved books didn't even get to $500! Let's see - the first auction by a 1 feedback seller goes to almost $4000 when it is a private auction and only $500 this time? Maybe it was the auction description thAT Hurt - I will not accept escrow! Don't ask! Must pay in 7 days! Etc. etc, etc. I think this jerk posted on here to let us know he had blindsided the crime dogg under the name "Truth." Truth is, you are an a-hole and all you believers why not quit flapping your gums paragraph after paragraph and put your money where your mouth is. After all since he takes paypal, it must be for real. He has pics of the book so it must be for real - right?

Well if that is what you heard, it must be correct. I guess you missed a sweet deal then since these did not break $500. I guess a few other people that watch ebay thought the deal looked kind of funny too as there is a 9.4 SS 1 that has been bid up to $1000. Even if the guy does really have the books, the whole thing just looks like a train wreck waiting to happen. But I guess for the gamblers it looks like an excellent oppurtunity. You know - like the people who think" well this private auction/ private feedback thing looks fishy but he offers refunds, so it must be ok." Or if you like driving fast without a seatblelt - or insurance, or playing football without a helmet or skydiving without a parachute etc, this may look like an acceptable risk to you with this seller. As to whether this guy is legit, I think the jury is still out - his attempt at an auction without all the private stuff was laughable though. I think the best part is where he says "I have had no complaints about shipping or product delivery" - he has 1 feedback!

I emailed/called Rob last week after receiving a hostile email from him, but he never responded.

I just emailed Rob again to try and explain... there's more going on here. I was going to wait to follow up until it all came together either way, but here's a little information.

With Rick's approval, I offered to, and am trying to mediate an understanding/resolution between the 2. Rick doubts Fred is a fraud now as well but naturally still wants to see some successful activity before saying for sure, and offering some of the fund raiser cash for his damages. Fred also now understands why Rick did what he did and is interested in a resolution. They will likely speak this week.

I spoke to Fred Friday night for a long time. I'm more convinced now that he is legit and not a scammer... but he certainly looked like one. No one faults Rick and we've all supported him. My feeling is that Fred was a "casualty of the war on scammers" because he simply appeared to be one... and acted like one too for the most part. It was bound to happen.

Of course, nothing has been established for sure yet, but for those wondering... he canceled the 2nd auction the next day to consider the emails I sent him that tried to further explain what was wrong with his auctions, perception of how he conducted it, and how he can prove his legitimacy and resolve the situation with Rick (since Rick was obviously retaliated against and the situation for both could have continued).

He claimed to be, and sounds like he's close to 60. He definitely knows comics... but not Ebay and comic auctions. When I asked, he did not deny that one of his friends must have retaliated for him. He says he consulted several computer savvy friends when he received the negative feedback to assist him. They helped him locate Rick and obviously retaliated to what was perceived as an unjustified attack. Fred says he did not encourage the action, but I'm not sure that's the point any longer.

I suggested to Fred that he consider "consigning" some books as an alternative to listing the items with low feedback OR accepting escrow. He thought "escrow" was time payments when I asked him about why he was so adamant against it. He said he would look into it. I advised him that he should start out selling some of the less expensive CGC items first at the same time with a new ID, but include every thing he could to instill buyer confidence. He's considering those options over the weekend and is supposed to contact me Monday to let me know what he thinks and wants to do. If he agrees with the logic of consigning, I'm giving him the names of a couple of reliable dealers to consign to.

Hopefully this will all work out for everyone. If Fred surprises the hell out of me and has played me and is proved to be a scammer... I'll eat all the crow and take all the BS anyone wants to throw at me for being wrong. I won't apologize though for trying to keep an open mind and investigate more before declaring someone a scammer. Nor will I apologize for trying to help Rick with the situation. You're damned if you stand by and do nothing and you're damned if you do get involved. I had doubts from the start and felt I should follow up... maybe the guy was inexperienced and angry at what happened to him. There were a few things that didn't add up to me ... his willingness to meet a friend in Boston ( I was going to ask Mike Shuley and did so recently) in person for a cash/comic exchange if I won the first auction and the fact that he had new books and provided serials... most scammers don't provide serials or don't answer when you ask for them.

Anyway, from our conversation, he "seems" to have sent in quite a few books to CGC and was rattling off serials. I did not think to write any down, but with his approval tomorrow, I'm going to and call CGC with the serials and ask them to confirm that the submitter was Fred as he claims. If Fred calls and asks them to release the info to help establish his credibility, maybe that will put to bed once and for all if he has the books at least. Then we'll go from there. Hopefully he'll consign some books. I'll suggest Bob Storms or Comgeek.

More to come as I find out more...

..I think the best part is where he says "I have had no complaints about shipping or product delivery" - he has 1 feedback!

Yeah, I wondered about that and I asked him... He claims to have had several more auctions in which he was not left feedback. He also claims to have sold extra books later to some of those customers including a Hulk 181 9.2 that did not meet reserve.

He actually had 2 positives before Rick's neg. I emailed those 2 for more information.

We'll see soon. Please call me tomorrow to discuss I emailed my number again.

UPDATE:

I just received a call from Korey at CGC at Floyd (Fred's) request.

She confirmed that he has sent in over (100) books in to be certified and has many already in his possession with more being graded.

His "ship to" address was also confirmed as being in Massachusetts

Korey gave me info on MANY CGC titles and serials that he has submitted (and may be available for sale in the future), but I'll just mention that among the confirmed books were (2) Silver Surfer #1's in 9.6 and several others in lower grades. Also, several Silver Surfer #2's... a 9.6, 9.4. In addition, the CGC serials all match up on the 2 Surfers Floyd (Fred) provided serials for on his 2nd Ebay listing... as well as for the others he provided to me in emails.

I guess we can put to bed that he owns the books and lives near Boston. Considering the volume submitted it sure looks like he's serious about selling some CGC books. I should hear from Floyd (Fred) this evening concerning his plans based on the advice I gave him

Stay Tuned...

BTW... Rick just called to confirm he took a $180+ hit from Ebay as they will not reimburse him.

So, it looks like the "fundraiser" was a good idea and will take care of Rick's losses (as well as Floyd's when Rick is satisfied with his innocence).

smirk.gif

TIP: straight from my friend Somsak, owner of an excellent Thai Restaruant here in SJ... drink a big glass of Milk after a HOT meal and that problem will be drastically reduced. I can take really HOT food and went "Volcano Level" with his Thai dishes ( Thai is among the hottest of cuisines if not the hottest). After describing the downside of eating his "fire-food", he laughed and gave me that tip... it works.

Update:

The more that Bruce and I have corresponded...the more it seems that Fred is innocent and was a sheep in a wolf's clothing. frown.gif I was going to let it ride, but the private auction was killing my conscience since I did not want some poor ol' [!@#%^&^] to win the item and lose close to $4000...and so I bid. I apologize to Fred and will reimburse him if ebay doesn't refund him his FVF's in time as well. Hopefully we can chat so that he can hear a "I'm sorry" from me personally. I find it funny how his auction had almost every single red flag going leading to the conclusion of it being a scam, but yet it wasn't 893frustrated.gif This is the first time that I was wrong about a "scam" auction and will learn from it.

Now on to my ebay fees. frown.gif I missed the boat on filing for my FVF's since I was invoiced before I can even file for my refund so ebay is going to charge my credit card in a few days and I will not be credited until after this has been done. Who needs close to $200 credit with them? GRRRRR

Message to Rob Z:

"Can we all just get along?" grin.gif I appreciate the support Rob, but Bruce is a good man and never had any intention of wrong doing on his part. I think after this ordeal, Bruce and I have become better friends. tongue.gif