• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q: What do you E-Bay sellers do for boxes?

39 posts in this topic

yep.. a whole multitude. You can also set up an account and have a quarterly automatic delivery.

I order:

Larger Priority Boxes (1095)

Express Boxes

Priority Tape

Custom Priority Labels

All the DC, SC, Insurance, etc forms too

Here's the numer to start an account:

1-800-610-8734

Is that stuff free? confused.gif

Yep... it's all free... After your first shipment they send you a postcard to sign confirming that you know they can beat you to death with sheets of Love stamps if you misuse the products... but it's all free...

And they have a LOT more sizes than your local post office. Including many sizes of Global Priority Boxes too...

I think right now I have 25+ different sizes... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Best item of all in my opinion is the Tyvek bag... I use at least 2000 of them a year, inside other shipments. Waterproof, virtually tear-proof, and techinically, if you don't use the adhesive strip it's perfectly acceptable to use them when packing even in non-Priority shipments (since you are effectively sending them unused). On larger Priority shipments, I will Tyvek bag every 10-15 books inside the box. No chance of rain damage. thumbsup2.gif

I have six different sizes of boxes that I purchase wholesale from a local manufacturer. My typical order totals around 1000 pieces between the various sizes. I have a diecut size for 6-10 raw comics, a diecut size for 10-30 raw comics, a size that fits most DC statues, a size that fits 50-80 raw comics, a size that perfectly surrounds a short box, and a size that perfectly surrounds a long box.

I use Diamond boxes as well, but for many items they are just the wrong choice for me. I found I was paying more in void fill to use a Diamond box than what it cost me to get boxes the correct size. My expenses for bubble wrap (which I buy on 240ft rolls) and loose fill (which I buy in 15cuft bags) were higher per package than what it costs to get the correct box. And a small Diamond box weighs over a pound by itself. It's not a big deal when you are selling $100 books. But on $10 items, a difference of $1 in shipping charge is a big deal. Plus, shipments in Diamond boxes are more likely to be stolen...

The only "free" Priority Mail box I use with any regularity is the 1095 which I use for shipments of single CGC books. I keep 25 each of all the other sizes on hand, but I rarely use them.

Lighthouse and anyone else interested - I sell boxes. I am thinking maybe a local box manufacturer has stock sizes. If they do, you may want to look at something called a printer's box. These are boxes specifically made for the print industry. They have something called a short, which is made to hold 500 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. I've found these make excellent boxes for shipping several comics at a time. And lighthouse, I can't help feeling the cost of these would be considerably cheaper than the die cut boxes you get made. A magazine fits in these as well, although you don't have much room for reinforced packing on the sides.

If your shipping many comics to one person, the large would be a good size. It's made to fit 1000 8 /12 x 11 sheets of paper. Locally, I've got a supplier that will give you what's called final column price as long as the order totals 300 boxes. You can get 250 small and 50 large (for example). Doug at Comic World gets these from me and he loves 'em, at least I think he does. grin.gif

What I would suggest, is contact all the box manufacturers in your city to see if they do have stock sizes like the above. I'm sure if you mention "printers boxes" they'll know what your talking about. The approximate size of the two are

small: 8 5/8 x 11 5/8 x 4 1/2

large: 8 5/8 x 11 5/8 x 10

If you do decide to look Lighthouse, please let me know how you make out. I am thinking these die-cut boxes must cost around $1.00 ea. and I am thinking the stock sizes I've mentioned s/b considerably lower than that.

Of course, if your getting this stuff free, never mind. grin.gif

I have six different sizes of boxes that I purchase wholesale from a local manufacturer. My typical order totals around 1000 pieces between the various sizes. I have a diecut size for 6-10 raw comics, a diecut size for 10-30 raw comics, a size that fits most DC statues, a size that fits 50-80 raw comics, a size that perfectly surrounds a short box, and a size that perfectly surrounds a long box.

I use Diamond boxes as well, but for many items they are just the wrong choice for me. I found I was paying more in void fill to use a Diamond box than what it cost me to get boxes the correct size. My expenses for bubble wrap (which I buy on 240ft rolls) and loose fill (which I buy in 15cuft bags) were higher per package than what it costs to get the correct box. And a small Diamond box weighs over a pound by itself. It's not a big deal when you are selling $100 books. But on $10 items, a difference of $1 in shipping charge is a big deal. Plus, shipments in Diamond boxes are more likely to be stolen...

The only "free" Priority Mail box I use with any regularity is the 1095 which I use for shipments of single CGC books. I keep 25 each of all the other sizes on hand, but I rarely use them.

Lighthouse and anyone else interested - I sell boxes. I am thinking maybe a local box manufacturer has stock sizes. If they do, you may want to look at something called a printer's box. These are boxes specifically made for the print industry. They have something called a short, which is made to hold 500 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. I've found these make excellent boxes for shipping several comics at a time. And lighthouse, I can't help feeling the cost of these would be considerably cheaper than the die cut boxes you get made. A magazine fits in these as well, although you don't have much room for reinforced packing on the sides.

If your shipping many comics to one person, the large would be a good size. It's made to fit 1000 8 /12 x 11 sheets of paper. Locally, I've got a supplier that will give you what's called final column price as long as the order totals 300 boxes. You can get 250 small and 50 large (for example). Doug at Comic World gets these from me and he loves 'em, at least I think he does. grin.gif

What I would suggest, is contact all the box manufacturers in your city to see if they do have stock sizes like the above. I'm sure if you mention "printers boxes" they'll know what your talking about. The approximate size of the two are

small: 8 5/8 x 11 5/8 x 4 1/2

large: 8 5/8 x 11 5/8 x 10

If you do decide to look Lighthouse, please let me know how you make out. I am thinking these die-cut boxes must cost around $1.00 ea. and I am thinking the stock sizes I've mentioned s/b considerably lower than that.

Of course, if your getting this stuff free, never mind. grin.gif

I appreciate you looking out for me. flowerred.gif

But in this case I've probably got it covered. I spend quite a bit of time researching my choices and finding the right supplier for me.

My diecuts I use for 6-10 comics run me 36c each in the quantities I buy.

The diecuts I use for 10-30 run me 42c each.

Biggest advantage of those (as I am sure you are aware) is conservation of storage space.

I have a few printer's boxes I use from time to time, but the bundles take up significantly more room than the diecuts do, and they require twice as much tape to use, since they have 6 seams instead of three.

The boxes I use for 50-80 comics are comparable to your "large". I think I am paying around 47c each on those.

The most expensive box I use is the one that snugly fits a long box, which runs me about $1.10. But they are well worth it, since I don't need a single scrap of packing material when I use them. thumbsup2.gif

BTW, cardboard prices vary dramatically depending on your location. The prices I am paying here are around 20% cheaper than what I paid in Texas, and I was buying them directly at the plant there, so it was purely a matter of materials cost... Plus my current supplier offers net 60 terms... Cash flow is a beautiful thing. smile.gif

Yeah!... that's the point.

Free and delivered.

The custom labels are nice.. no more writing out your return address.

Since I require delivery confirmation on my CGC books, I print the free Electronic Delivery confirmation form from USPS and print it on a peel-em and stick-em sheet.

I am same as Lighthouse I order shipping supplies. I use corrugated brown boxes to ship comics by media mail and also flat rate white mailers. I get a 4 different sizes of boxes fits 1 to 50 books, 50 to 100 books. 100 to 200 books and then jumbo size is 1 and a half long boxes.. grin.gif... and charge for my cost of the shipping boxes in my shipping price. I get a good deal on these and they deliver them to me locally no matter how much I order for $7.00 what a deal. Anyway I use this company for those interested. They offer next day local (about 40 to 60 mile delivery and based out of Los Angeles but they also deliver by usps) if order placed before 3pm. www.papermart.com. I must give them props their prices are excellant for boxes and bundles of bubblewrap.

For priority I just call up the post offices supply center and tell them what I need arrives in a week or so. thumbsup2.gif

I've always made my own boxes.I recycle cardboard boxes from work, take them home and cut to size.I find that I can make a way better fitting box this way than buying pre-fabbed boxes from the local Stapes or Office Depot etc.With a few simple tools and a little practice you can save a whole bunch of $$$'s. grin.gif And , hey, nobodys' ever complained yet. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Technically, one could be fined by the USPS for using Priority mailing supplies in this manner.

Yes, that it correct. It is quite illegal to use those Priorty Mail boxes for anything other than sending the package Priority Mail. I've seen several people break this law, so it just comes down to if you want to take the risk of doing so. I usually avoid it, but may have done it once or twice. I wouldn't wrap flimsy paper over a Priority Mail box though because one little rip and you may be busted.

Priority Mail is such a huge RIPOFF by the post office, but I do use it quite a bit just because of the free boxes.

So, let me get this straight, you guys in America get those pretty, solid, USPS boxes for FREE! shocked.gif

It costs me approximately $5 to package an item as the stirdy boxes I use are so expensive, and they are not as stirdy as those ones you guys get! 893frustrated.gif

EXAMPLE

to send 10 CGC comics separately it costs:

BOXES x 10 ----------------------=$30

ROLL OF BUBBLE WRAP---= $20

TAPE ---------------------------------= $1.50

TOTAL---------------------------------= $51.50

PER COMIC TOTAL--------------= $5.15 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

It costs me approximately $5 to package an item as the stirdy boxes I use are so expensive, and they are not as stirdy as those ones you guys get!

EXAMPLE

to send 10 CGC comics separately it costs:

BOXES x 10 ----------------------=$30

ROLL OF BUBBLE WRAP---= $20

TAPE ---------------------------------= $1.50

TOTAL---------------------------------= $51.50

PER COMIC TOTAL--------------= $5.15

I don't know about your boxes. But you are paying WAY too much for your bubble wrap...

Here is a UK supplier that can save you a fortune:

http://www.e-pack.co.uk/

Among other sizes, they offer a 600mm x 50m roll of large bubble for under £16. At current exchange rates, that's about 50 cents per meter, and I really doubt you need more than 60cm x 1m for each CGC book. I use a 600mm (2') roll for my CGC books that's perforated every 30cm, and three pieces of that is more than enough to satisfy ANY customer...

You should be able to cut your bubble wrap costs by 75%, and save yourself £1 on every package... thumbsup2.gif

I won't even ask how someone from Oregon knows where to buy bubble wrap in ENGLAND!

But anyway, Cheers!

I could hardly defend my title of "Most Informative Poster" if I didn't. sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

My own research told me you could save a fortune, and google told me where. smile.gif

Lighthouse has some underworld connections that no one in polite society likes to talk about gossip.gif

Since when do they let YOU in polite society? 893naughty-thumb.gif

And let's just say I am a big fan of David Gerrold's Chess With A Dragon...

You hit the nail on the head on why Diamond boxes are not always best, they are freaking heavy. Of course, I received 260.00 worth of Fathom comics in a Diamond box...but they were sent via UPS, and boxes that can withstand being dropped from a plane onto a concrete sidewalk are always best when dealing with the UPS.

Folks, if you use amazon.com to buy things like DVDs/books...I find that the average sized box they use when mailing you several hardcovers/dvds is perfect for mailing raw comics. Occasionally, I will receive a box from them that can handle CGC books, but in general those priority mail boxes that come in bundles of 25 (not 20) are just perfect for CGC books.

Amazon has saved me from having to buy boxes for media mail shipping more times than I can count over the past 2 years.

Another reason why diamond boxes are not best, well....because in my case they are basically unattainable. My LCS sells on ebay, and is always re-using his comic boxes (he sells a lot of toys, so those Diamond boxes are perfect for him).

I would imagine a fair number of stores are now making some extra $$$ by selling on ebay, so it does not surprise me that Diamond boxes are not that easy to obtain anymore (at least for a non-comic store employee average joe).

Scarface in the hizzo, here to talk some schizzo. grin.gif

I've probably seen Scarface about 20-30 times, and I don't seem to remember Pacino talking like Snoop Dog.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif