• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original COVERS for BRONZE keys

53 posts in this topic

The owner of both the TMNT book and the Batman 11 cover would have to be interested in bidding.

Not necessarily. Have you seen that guy Eric Robert's collection? He owns some sick covers. His father is a billionare, which makes him extremely wealthy. I'm pretty sure he would spend 250K easy (shrug)

The owner of both the TMNT book and the Batman 11 cover would have to be interested in bidding.

Not necessarily. Have you seen that guy Eric Robert's collection? He owns some sick covers. His father is a billionare, which makes him extremely wealthy. I'm pretty sure he would spend 250K easy (shrug)

Well, he's actually the guy who owns the TMNT book...not sure about the Batman though

Well, he's actually the guy who owns the TMNT book...not sure about the Batman though

lol Figures, I shouldve known

Herb Trimpe no longer had the last page to Hulk #180 or any art to #181 at the time I picked up the story to Hulk #182 in the mid-1980s. I believe he said at the time he gave the pages away to one person. At the recent Wonder Con, he mentioned that he never had the #181 cover and wondered if Len might have had it.

I saw the GS #1 cover mechanical (with no actual hand-drawn art) at an early 1980s SD convention, but I passed on it because the asking price was the same as Dave's early Xmen pages that I was buying at the time (since then I have managed to get one page from each issue of his 1st Xmen run). Today, passing on it was a mistake, but photostat only covers were not really collected back then.

I have not seen or heard of it since.

His Uncanny Xmen #100 was mostly stat too, the way Dave described assembling it.

The Xmen #94 sold for a record price (at the time) during the 1990s.

Best,

I personally saw Defenders 10 about 15 years ago at a small shop in San Antonio. He also had 2 FF covers by Byrne but those two weren't all that great IMO but then again, I couldn't keep my eyes off that Defenders 10 which he said wasn't for sale.

Ed

Herb Trimpe no longer had the last page to Hulk #180 or any art to #181 at the time I picked up the story to Hulk #182 in the mid-1980s. I believe he said at the time he gave the pages away to one person. At the recent Wonder Con, he mentioned that he never had the #181 cover and wondered if Len might have had it.

Len was definitely the one who had it - it sold in the mid/late-80s for a few thousand and hasn't been seen since that I know of.

Though its not a key, I know there was some discussion last year as to whether the FF #100 cover would break the 100K barrier (it is Kirby Sinnott) and it ended up somewhere just shy of 60K on Heritage last year.

I guess it would be interesting to see which BA covers have the potential to break the 100K barrier? I definitely think that Hulk 181 is one of these despite the fact it is a Trimpe.

The others being Romita ASMs, Smith Conan's and Adams Covers + ????

Good question.. no clue.. maybe 250K????hm

Interesting price you put out there...I don't think a cover has breached $200.000 yet (money not "trade" )

The most expensive cover I can think of is Batman #11 that went for $170.000 (without BP) in Summer 2005

Considering this went for 100K (thought its been a few years now) I cant imagine what would have to come up to be worth 200K.

FrazFF.jpg

All I'm saying is that the artist seems to matter in the OA world. It's a great image, but would the OA to Hulk 181 Hammer 250K in cash? Its an interesting question, be interested to here what some of the other OA collectors think.

I just think its such an important book being the first full appearance of Wolverine, but you do make a good point about the artist. Not sure if that would have an affect on this particular cover though.

All I'm saying is that the artist seems to matter in the OA world. It's a great image, but would the OA to Hulk 181 Hammer 250K in cash? Its an interesting question, be interested to here what some of the other OA collectors think.
The Hulk 181 is a key and has the nostalgia factor going for it. Despite the fact that it's a Trimpe cover, I think it has the potential to top 200k. In this case, the fact that it's such an important key trumps Trimpe. :)

I'd be curious to see what the Conan 24 cover would bring. As far as Golden Age - in the catagory of sky's the limit, how about Weird Science-Fantasy 29?

My humble 2 cents.

Bill

I agree that the Iconic status would help push the sale, but once you get into 200K + for comic art how many cash buyers are there (I'm thinking single digits here) meaning you need the combo of the pockets and the identification, of course investment could trump the nostalgia here.

The WSF has the potential based on the Frazetta Funnies covers that have sold for 100 and 150 respectively in 2001 and 2002.

2c

If I had the resources (and I don't) to pick up a cover in the 6 figure price range, the Hulk 181 wouldn't be on 'my' list... but I'm not sure that it wouldn't be on someone elses. Maybe an individual with some spare euros they would like to invest. :)

And I have to agree with you - when you're talking about that kind of money, the pool of potential buyers would be relatively small.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Frank Frazetta offered 100k for the WSF cover about 15-20 years ago (an unheard of amount for comic art at the time) and he turned it down?

Bill

I have no idea what he may have been offered, others who have been around longer may be able to substantiate the rumor. The 150k FF cover sold in San Diego in 2001 and the latter for 100K at Heritage in 2002 I believe, those are documented cash sales.

Six figures is a BIG barrier. Of the few number of pieces that have broken it, pen/ink BA art probably represents the smallest sample. GS X-MEN #1 moved privately a couple of years ago. That was a six figure piece. HULK #181, if it ever surfaces, is a surefire $100K+ piece. Beyond that, can't think of too many others. Even the best examples from BA legends BWS and Neal Adams would have a tough time. SUPERMAN #233 (which I consider one of Neal's all-time best) was available for around $100K...no takers. Similarly, I don't believe the market value for CONAN #24 is $100K, either. Well, yet, anyway...

Believe it or not, I think something like a McFarlane ASM cover has a chance to break $100K before a BA Adams or BWS...