• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alert: Hammer is back!

59 posts in this topic

let me get this straight: you have bought from ComicKeys. and have been satisfied with the transactions. Have you gotten the books certified? Or are YOU just happy with them? If you have sent them in, did they come back in the grades as advertised?

Re-read my post - I said I have two transactions pending with him and I will let that personal experience formulate my opinion, that's it. I know what the grades he advertised and I know what they were in the scan and my bidding reflected that.

okay. Its just that yours was such a bold statement of support (against the results of all experiences written here before) that I was sure you had seen your deals all the way through to satisfaction, if not blue label 9.8s.

All you are really saying is that he has been reasonable up to now in getting your payment.

one more thing: danny's sales approach always cleverly included his bad reputation. That is, he was very good at making everyone feel that THEY werent screwed around with - - just all the OTHER SUCKERS!! So I dont wonder that "so far" you feel perfectly safe.

Does this accurately describe your dealings so far? :

"Oh ComicKeys, you're really not such a scoundrel, are you, because I know you wouldnt mess around with ME cause you know Im not a loser like those other whiners!"

tomega - - Im writing mainly because Im very surprised, Youve been a regular here for awhile. You read all these threads about this guys business tactics. Why dont you believe them? Do you think its all made up? Why would you buy these books in the first place?

Why would you buy these books in the first place?

A roll of the dice perhaps...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Comic-Keys had a 9.8 (raw) Hulk 105 up a few months ago upon which I was the second highest bidder. My bid was around $150. No 9.8s in the census and if it came back 9.8 blue label it would be worth around $2000-$3000 right?

15 to 20x return... grin.gif

Better odds than going to the race track and betting a long shot at 15 /20 to one eh? smirk.gif

yeah I guess there might be some odds of it being a real 9.8, like one in a million. But if it WERE a real 9.8, ask yourself why youd be so lucky to snare it raw for one twentieth of its value??? ComicKeys id called a lot of things, but STUPID or CHARITABLE are not two of them.

Now you are scaring me: now its TWO of you regulars who think you can beat the devil!!!!

Good Luck, guys!

27_laughing.gif

Me beat the devil?

makepoint.gifdevil.gifmakepoint.gif

I'd only gamble on a reasonable dollar book (under $200), with some extra spending money I had.

Never a big dollar book. 893naughty-thumb.giftonofbricks.gif

Ok, I'm not trying to argue with you, or show any disrespect, but I'm surprised that someone like yourself that's been around these boards a long time would still choose to deal with him. I understand that evidence is crucial when it comes to accusations, but myself and others on here have produced a buffet of evidence to gorge on, and when combined with common sense, I don't see how the obvious can be denied. I'm going to quote myself in a post I wrote on this topic, because it sums up my opinions on him:

"Oh yeah, forget my experience, forget Shuley's experience, forget comicparadox's experience, and lets also forget the others that don't or won't post here. Lets forget the fact that Comic-Keys has no problem selling a solid NM ASM #1 raw, and foregoing about 40K extra that he could make getting it slabbed. Let's forget the countless other books that could have made him a multiple millionaire by getting them all slabbed. And lets forget the fact that the same NM ASM #1 is constantly relisted, as well as many others. Lets forget the fact that he claimed to be a surgeon, which we know for a fact is not true. Let's forget the fact that he won't show his face anywhere, even through arranged private meetings. Lets forget the fact that if his inventory were legit, you'd have guys like Bob Storms, Metro, Comgeek(Steve), Tom B and all the other top buyers breaking down his door. Lets forget his private auctions, private feedback, and everything else that has been discussed ad nasium on these boards.

Don't these things ring any bells? If not, then I wish you luck.

And I really have to take a vow of silence when it comes to this issue. I've said all I can say, and have been 100% honest about my 2 4K Avengers #1's that came back restored. But what's the point. If people insist on learning things the hard way, I'm not going to waste my breath. Again Tomega, don't take this personally, I'm just aggrivated that this guy can continue to freely do business, and with a prominent board member to boot.

Better odds than going to the race track and betting a long shot at 15 /20 to one eh? smirk.gif

But at the race track, you have a shot at actually winning.

I realize that this is all about greed (actually thinking you're going to get something worth a couple of grand for a couple of hundred bucks from a guy who worships money), but it still makes me wonder.

I will, however, vounteer this: send me the $200 and I guarantee that I will send you something worthless in return. At least with me you get a guarantee you can trust!

-- Joanna

I realize that this is all about greed (actually thinking you're going to get something worth a couple of grand for a couple of hundred bucks from a guy who worships money), but it still makes me wonder.

I agree with this to an extent, and I we're obviously on the same page regarding this issue, but I don't think it's solely about greed, at least not for me. I didn't buy that Avengers #1 to flip for a couple of thousand bucks. I bought it because it looked stunning and is a book I really wanted to have for my collection. When I first opened the book, I got giddy(which is not something that happens to me often) because it looked like a solid NM- to NM to me. But I sent it to CGC because the top edge was a little too perfect and simply to protect my investment. The fact is, if it came back unrestored, it would have become part of my "permanent collection".

Also, his books are pure eye candy, particularly the earlier S.A stuff which you just never see in such incredible shape(there's a reason for that!). To be honest, his books look so nice that if he was honest about restoring them, and offered full disclosure, I would buy from him, color touch, trimmed and all, at least for the earlier stuff anyway. So it's not just about trying to get something cheaper, it's also about just trying to get extraordinary looking books that would otherwise be almost impossible to get.

I probably won't be bidding on any of his stuff anymore.

It was back in August and I was only here for a few weeks and wasn't fully up to speed on Mr. Nice (That was him then right? confused.gif).

I had seen his books on eBay long before I came here and had always wondered how he managed to get such nice looking Silver-Age books in such high grade and why the heck he wasn't getting them slabbed and selling them for 5-20x.

I kinda figured it was a gamble, like all raw high grades on eBay are.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My only question to you, is after you buy the books, do you plan to get them slabbed? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Most definitely, over nighted, after inspection, for express service( I have those three free coupons from joining the collectors society.) I am not sure if any of you know my experience with comics but I am far from rookie and I have the means, knowledge, and equipment to properly grade comics.

okay. Its just that yours was such a bold statement of support (against the results of all experiences written here before) that I was sure you had seen your deals all the way through to satisfaction, if not blue label 9.8s.

How is it bold? It really is not that earth shattering to state that I will formulate my own opinion based on personal experience, but read on.

All you are really saying is that he has been reasonable up to now in getting your payment.

We have not even conversed yet for this transaction, I am referring to past communications.

one more thing: danny's sales approach always cleverly included his bad reputation. That is, he was very good at making everyone feel that THEY werent screwed around with - - just all the OTHER SUCKERS!! So I dont wonder that "so far" you feel perfectly safe.

Does this accurately describe your dealings so far? :

"Oh ComicKeys, you're really not such a scoundrel, are you, because I know you wouldnt mess around with ME cause you know Im not a loser like those other whiners!"

C'mon now, this is the type of response I expected from some people - all I will say to this is if you have read any of my posts I hope you realize that I am not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

tomega - - Im writing mainly because Im very surprised, Youve been a regular here for awhile. You read all these threads about this guys business tactics. Why dont you believe them? Do you think its all made up? Why would you buy these books in the first place?

I have seen the posts and I also know that it is impossible for any dealer to sell every one of his comics restored. I also know that from what I have seen in your posts that you have never bought from him and if you had transactions you have been more then civil with him ( at least in the beginning of your posts.) So my it is my assumption that you derived your opinions from others and not personal experience. I think that is the case that there have more then a few people jump on the bandwagon, myself at one time included. Do I think that all the information is made up - absolutely not. But I also know that some of it may be conjecture and hearsay. If I used that as my barometer for who I should buy from then I would have half my collection. Case in point - Showcase New England. Most people have negative things to say about them. I have spent $7k to $10k over the past three years with them, about half raw and half graded. All transactions have been very positive and my bidding on raw reflected the possibly discrepancy on grading. If I listened to everything negative about them, I would have never bought from them. That is not to say that I do not respect people's opinions and realize that there has been problems and I recognize the shadiness of running private auctions, making more money on slabbed comics, etc I just looked over captainsoftheindustry post and I can see where he is coming from but like I said earlier - I am not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person nor am I rookie. Comic-keys had something I really wanted and the bid I put in was reasonable, does that make a bad person if everything turns out legit on this transaction? The transaction I am doing is also not a million dollars and it is through Paypal - they are not thousands of dollars worth of books nor would they be if they are flipped, in fact one is about a $450 book that ended at $380 and the other is about $550 book that ended at $450.

Now I realize that my posting was to bring an onslaught of posts but that is to be expected. I hope that people who respond to my posts realize that I just could have kept silent about this and expect some vitriolic responses ( not so far)

I am not the biggest buyer in the world but I am not a total small fry either - I am handling this very carefully. I have a few things going for me - its on a credit card and, this may be a surprise, I live about 20 minutes from him. So we will see what happens and I will keep everyone apprised, I hope this works out as I intended.

Tom

I agree with this to an extent, and I we're obviously on the same page regarding this issue, but I don't think it's solely about greed, at least not for me.

As you've probably guessed, I wasn't referring to you with this statement. For flippers it's about greed. For others, it's what you said below:

I didn't buy that Avengers #1 to flip for a couple of thousand bucks. I bought it because it looked stunning and is a book I really wanted to have for my collection. When I first opened the book, I got giddy(which is not something that happens to me often) because it looked like a solid NM- to NM to me. But I sent it to CGC because the top edge was a little too perfect and simply to protect my investment. The fact is, if it came back unrestored, it would have become part of my "permanent collection".

I think a lot of his buyers feel the same way, especially if they're chasing high grade. Genuine high grade is so rare and so beautiful, it's a bit mesmerizing. We all like to own things that fit our definition of beautiful. That can blind a buyer as easily as greed.

C.K. really does have a lot of things figured out.

Also, his books are pure eye candy, particularly the earlier S.A stuff which you just never see in such incredible shape(there's a reason for that!). To be honest, his books look so nice that if he was honest about restoring them, and offered full disclosure, I would buy from him, color touch, trimmed and all, at least for the earlier stuff anyway. So it's not just about trying to get something cheaper, it's also about just trying to get extraordinary looking books that would otherwise be almost impossible to get.

Exactly, and I agree completely. Even though I was never a high grade kinda gal, it didn't mean I couldn't appreciate it when I saw it. And if he was selling the books I used to buy, it would kill me to see them constantly listed and looking pristine, and... attainable. It's one thing to lust after finding a minty version of a favorite title. It's another to see it, even if you know it's too good to be true.

Ironically, the 3rd factor in C.K.'s success is the current low opinion for restoration. Restored books can have the beauty factor in spades, but they are deemed "tainted" in the current climate. He always says his books are unrestored, and people want to believe it so that the beauty they're seeing is "real". If he listed his wares as restored, he would get less than he paid for them (from what I understand, he doesn't do the more advanced restoration. He does trim and color touch. You need a fairly high grade book to begin with in order to mintify a book with only those two methods. And since VF books are undervalued for the most part, he's got a booming business).

The 4th factor is the well-cultivated "It will happen to everyone else, but not to me. He would never do it to me." You betcha, buddy.

-- Joanna

Ironically, the 3rd factor in [!@#%^&^]'s success is the current low opinion for restoration.

Did you censor that yourself, Joanna? Or is Hammer now a dirty word????

Ironically, the 3rd factor in [!@#%^&^]'s success is the current low opinion for restoration.

Did you censor that yourself, Joanna? Or is Hammer now a dirty word????

That's very odd. It was "C.K.'s", without the punctuation. Why is that censored?

Looks like you can add that to Carlin's list of words you can't say on TV (or internet chat board).

Chris

Definitely a weird thing to censor. I just changed the original note so that no one thinks I was calling him names or anything.

Hey Tom,

Since you live close by... maybe suggest an in-person exchange for no other reason than to meet him?

I respect your right to do what you like and base your opinion on your specific experience if that's your choosing. I would offer one thought however. If the items you bought were advertised as "unrestored" (which I think was common in the past), consider establishing a clear understanding in regards to possible reimbursement for all CGC related expenses should the books return restored.

This is one subject that I don't ever recall being explored. Yes, it seemed everyone receives their auction win costs back... but what about shipping fees both ways? More importantly, what about the CGC related fees? I know Andrew was out a couple hundred and I expect anyone else that CGC'd his books and had them return restored are in the same boat in that regard.

If the books were advertised as "unrestored", I feel that leaves him open to some level of responsibility in terms of fees spent to determine this claim... i.e. CGC fees (grading and resto check). If he is no longer advertising books as "unrestored", I feel its a question to put to him anyway and see where he stands on the matter officially and if he feels its fair for a buyer to absorb theses specific losses if his claims are proven false.