• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another insane price.......

47 posts in this topic

Link.

I realize it's the only one on the census, but.... :screwy:

As a rule of thumb, I try to avoid buying books that would lose 99% of their value if cracked from the slab. Just doesn't seem like a wise investment.

I like the way you think (thumbs u

Add me to the list.

Ditto

(thumbs u

Link.

As a rule of thumb, I try to avoid buying books that would lose 99% of their value if cracked from the slab. Just doesn't seem like a wise investment.

I'll never understand this kind of comment. Maybe an unslabbed copy wouldn't be worth as much, but this copy IS slabbed and at least 2 people thought it was worth this much.

It's like saying I would avoid buying a house that would lose 99% of its value if it was located in Bakersfield instead of Beverly Hills.

Link.

I'll never understand this kind of comment. Maybe an unslabbed copy wouldn't be worth as much, but this copy IS slabbed and at least 2 people thought it was worth this much.

It's like saying I would avoid buying a house that would lose 99% of its value if it was located in Bakersfield instead of Beverly Hills.

I don't know what guide is on this book, but it's pretty much dollar-bin fodder, so perhaps he's saying that he doesn't understand paying 251.99X what you could get a raw copy for minus the 9.8 label. Can't say I disagree. (shrug)

Link.

I don't know what guide is on this book, but it's pretty much dollar-bin fodder, so perhaps he's saying that he doesn't understand paying 251.99X what you could get a raw copy for minus the 9.8 label. Can't say I disagree. (shrug)

But the winner wanted it in inside a slab with a 9.8 slab. So his choices are to pay up for the slabbed copy or to search around for NM/M raw copies and submit them to CGC in hopes of getting a 9.8 back. I'm not saying the latter wouldn't be a sensible thing to do, just that some people have no inclination to do that. The high price here might very well drive the Greggys of the world to search through bins and dealer tables and identify suitable candidates for submission so they can capitalize on this mania.

But my point is that there is a conceptual leap that some people have failed to grasp, that slabbed books have taken on a separate life and identity of their own. They're no longer really just the same book but inside a plastic slab. The slab and the book are inextricably intertwined, until the slab is broken.

exactly. its not the book, but the book AND the slab. Specifically, the slabs WITH the big fat 9.8 on it...

If I were collecting Copper books, I wouldnt settle for anything less than 9.8s either... Not because it might be the one and only copy, as happens now, but, when thousands of each issue are finally graded someday, 95% of them will be above 9.0 and therefore, only the 9.8s and 9.9s would have any value greater than cover price, or $5 or whatever minimal value they'll sell for.

So collecting for Copper means slabbed and 9.8. I still think they sell for too much, but, theyre still some of the cheapest slabs available, arent they?

Link.

That's fine and I'm not knocking people for collecting this way. Just saying I prefer to spend money on books where the value is primarily in the book itself, not the slab. If I crack my midgrade FF 5, it may fetch a few bucks less, but the slab only adds a marginal value.

Whereas a 9.8 copy of Champions that sells for over $250, the value is entirely in the label. If you posted a NM copy of this book in the marketplace, it probably wouldn't sell at $5. And if suddenly that one other person who was willing to bid the 9.8 up to $249 loses interest, the value just tanked.

Link.

That's fine and I'm not knocking people for collecting this way. Just saying I prefer to spend money on books where the value is primarily in the book itself, not the slab. If I crack my midgrade FF 5, it may fetch a few bucks less, but the slab only adds a marginal value.

Whereas a 9.8 copy of Champions that sells for over $250, the value is entirely in the label. If you posted a NM copy of this book in the marketplace, it probably wouldn't sell at $5. And if suddenly that one other person who was willing to bid the 9.8 up to $249 loses interest, the value just tanked.

, Steve. Can't you do anything else other than cause a stir?

I would buy the book for $5.

:censored:

:baiting: