• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iridescent or fluorescent lamp to see flaws?

14 posts in this topic

Whenever possible I try and use natural sunlight. At night I use an a regular incandescent bulb and hold the book at varying angles to see flaws.

I use a magnifying glass when looking at staples.

Whenever possible I try and use natural sunlight. At night I use an a regular incandescent bulb and hold the book at varying angles to see flaws.

The combo of sunlight and a magnifying glass sounds a wee bit dangerous to paper comic books! :baiting:

54738-a.jpg.14c9b8d34c35e2b7cc506ad9fb567ed4.jpg

The combo of sunlight and a magnifying glass sounds a wee bit dangerous to paper comic books! :baiting:

lol

What's a better light source to see the dirt and all the flaws on a comic? I'm thinking about getting a magnifying desk lamp to get a better look but should I get iridescent or fluorescent? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Any bright light source should reveal the flaws. I wouls look for a 5800Kelvin or so bulb to closely approximate daylight. This will help you to also judge page color (white, off-white etc) more accurately.

I have found a combination of light sources are helpful. Investing in a few daylight lamps lamps is the best bet though. I use 2 desktop daylight lamps for close up work as well as the normal overhead fixtures in the room.(one with regular light bulbs, the other fluorescent)

Of course windows are good too if the sun is out. :insane:

doh!

I like natural sunlight and a good pair of reading glasses. An incandescent bulb is my second choice.

I just had to get my first pair of prescription reading glasses doh!

And I bet they cost you. I learned something about -script reading glasses. They are the same things you can get at Walgreens or similar place. Just plain old magnifying lenses.

Now ones eye may differ but after your checkup get the report. Ask the optometrist what each eye's "power" is equal to. If they are the same - say both 1.5X (X=power) great. Buy a cheap pair of reading glasses from the dept store. Just make sure the lenses are made of glass or a good quality plastic.

If you have two different "powers" then price from the place you buy your -script glasses, but then go to the dept store and see if you can find two identical pairs with differing powers. If they are appreciably cheaper buy them both. Knock the lens that is wrong and replace it with what is right.

This trick ended up saving me $60 last time I had me eye exam a few months ago.

I like natural sunlight and a good pair of reading glasses. An incandescent bulb is my second choice.

Incandescent bulb is about 3800Kelvin. Get a daylight incandescent instead (5800 - 6000 Kelvin) and you can more accurately judge page color as well.

The normal incandescent will make pages seem yellower than they are.