• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q: approx HOW MUCH TO SLAB A $6000 BOOK

42 posts in this topic

as long as your value is reasonable, you are fine...remember, the point of the FMV % is the handling and insurance, etc, right?...

if you send them a 9.0 that true FMV is $10,000 and you call is $1,000...then , if something were to accidentally happen, $1,000 FMV is all you would be compensated (i.e. the USPS looses the parcel, and you have to file a claim, if you only claim and insured for $1,000, then you are "out")

always best to accurately (as possible) declare value on a book...

What if it's a more modern book though that the 9.8 copy is worth $2k or $3k, but the 6.0 is only worth $200?

Also, what if you put on the form that the book is worth $1000 because you think it's an unrestored VF, and here it comes back with extensive restoration as a 4.0? Do you get your fees back?

My experience has been that if you are reasonable, so is CGC. I submitted a Batman the Cult book that got a 10.0. I paid $15 just like any other modern. Same submission I had a JIM 124 that I estimated to be 9.2 and put the approximately $185 OSPG value on the form. It came back 9.6 and I was not bumped up to the next fee level.

I really doubt that it would ever be an issue unless the submitter grossly underestimates either the grade or the value; I'm thinking 4 or 5 grade increments. Since that early submission, I have done a lot of business with CGC and have established a level of trust as far as those services are concerned. I don't give it a second thought anymore.

--S.