• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet 38. Price movement thread.

111 posts in this topic

At the Wondercon, I hardly looked at any dealer's booth unless it was marked with at least 30% off, and spent by far the most time and money at dealers who marked stuff at 50% off. And then, if I had a large enough pile of books, I haggled the price down a few more bucks.

---------------------------------------------------------

I remember doing a show about 10-13 years ago, helping a buddy at his table (this was the last big one at Javitz before the recent ones). my buddy had "25% off" on his sign.

some guy comes up and says "hey, the guy down there is 50% off, I just bought the same book for half price"

I look at the book, some tattered Dell Four color that had been marked at $25 and sold for $12.50 I suppose.

The book on my friend's table was in much better condition and marked at $12 (thus "on sale" for $9)

I pointed this out to him and he got flustered and walked away.

Who was giving the better deal, the 50% off dealer or the 25% off dealer?

Not to say that sometimes the 50% off guys aren't great -- when the original marked prices are good to start with -- but most of the 50% off guys simply have stuff marked at absurd prices to start with a 50% off isn't so great either. Kindah the Mile High Comics approach.

Sooooooo, whilst I'm sure you know what you're doing, it never hurts to check out what someone is actually selling, whether they're a tight grader, whether they negotiate, whether they haven't updated their marked prices since 1987, etc.

Heck, my best deals often come from the guys who haen't even priced up their books.

Some of my best GA purchases came from a guy who had things priced right at guide...except he had everything graded at between "Fair" and "Good" that would easily be 5.0 - 7.0 books in a CGC slab. I found it hard to even haggle with him with a straight face, although he shaved a couple of bucks off anyway.

I think some of the Keys DC should go down in price to generate interest in those books at a reasonalbe level. Off course I am mainly talking VF-Poor Grades

Prime example= Joe Kubert's Hawkman run

Any decrease in the lower grade Avengers????/

Issues 1-4....3.0 to 5.5???

Avengers #1 saw a decent increase..

#1 GD 283--320; VG 566--640; FN 849--960

#2 and #3 not so much...

#2 GD 67--70; VG 134--140; FN 201--210

#3 GD 47--50; VG 94--100; FN 141--150

#4 took a slight dive...

GD 136--128; VG 272--256; FN 408--384

Comic Cavalcade, full of golden age GL, Flash, and Wonder Woman stories, reduced across the board?

As good as those books are, Comic Cavalcade has generally been a "slow" title for a while.

Speaking of slow...can anyone say Star Spangled Comics?

I just want to know the prices on two books. action 1, tec 27?

Action Comics #1 9.2 675,00

Detective Comics #27 9.2 525,000

In your dreams!

I wonder if they'd just be better off listing most recent sales figures for books like this.

For instance, "In 2005 a copy of Action #1 listed as VG sold at auction for $XXX,XXX, and in 2007 a copy reported as Fine sold for $XXX,XXX."

(shrug)

Guess it all depends on what they consider is being "better off." If their goal is to get the information correct, then yes, that would make them better off than what they're doing now.

But it's clear they are not about getting the information correct, at least not in all cases. Especially with the books their advertisers (and I am one) know they can easily sell for above guide.

The intro to the market report contained an inadequate defense of this, by quoting the high multipled guide sale of a pedigree captain marvel book which later sold for less. It was suggested that it would be wrong to report the change the price to reflect the high sale and then have to reflect the low sale.

Well, as a person who would never in his life have gone after that book I would say have no problem seeing the price spike and then drop. I have never dabbled in things that my gut told me were hyped and had little if any relevance culturally. So I would expect things like that to boom as the result of well-orchestrated hype and then come back down when people looked at it more sensibly,

Just to be clear, here, this example was used just like the often quoted example of Mystery Men 1 being raised and then having trouble meeting the numbers. Yet again what we're talking about is an obscure high grade book featuring a nearly forgotten character and priced at absurd multiples of guide just because it was once owned by a particular person -- who, incidentally, is also virtually unknown outside the collecting community.

It is just not sensible to use those extreme examples as justification for willfully getting it wrong on rare books featuring the first and early appearances of characters who are household names throughout the world. Not sensible if your goal is to get it as right as you can. If you know the market, you know it has been driven from the get-go by the desire to have early issues of world-renowned characters. No amount of pretending and insisting will make it different, at least not in the long-term.

I can understand the desire to wish people would buy other books when it's other books that are piled high in your inventory. And I can understand the desire to want people to focus on top condition new books when you know there will always be a steady supply, thanks to the printing press. You may see the people at the likes of the Franklin mint trying to hawk their wares by putting out disinformation about how much their limited-edition spider-man knife might increase in value. But you don't see them trying to create disinformation that a spider-man 1 will never show the same rate of increase. Some in the comics industry have been crossing that line and twisting logic into shreds to justify it because there's short-term money to be had. (and the day of reckoning has gone beyond the original five-year predictions because of the quality of the superhero movies, not because new investors were entranced by the sharp corners and the lack of resto in that copy of Jo-Jo #7). The disinfo out there would love to have you think otherwise, but it's the guide's job to work against disinfo, not enable it.

:think: Would the Captain Marvel and Mystery Men be examples of the straw man fallacy? :shrug:

That's one fairly kind way of putting it.

At the Wondercon, I hardly looked at any dealer's booth unless it was marked with at least 30% off, and spent by far the most time and money at dealers who marked stuff at 50% off. And then, if I had a large enough pile of books, I haggled the price down a few more bucks.

I remember doing a show about 10-13 years ago, helping a buddy at his table (this was the last big one at Javitz before the recent ones). my buddy had "25% off" on his sign.

some guy comes up and says "hey, the guy down there is 50% off, I just bought the same book for half price"

I look at the book, some tattered Dell Four color that had been marked at $25 and sold for $12.50 I suppose.

The book on my friend's table was in much better condition and marked at $12 (thus "on sale" for $9)

Not to say that sometimes the 50% off guys aren't great -- when the original marked prices are good to start with -- but most of the 50% off guys simply have stuff marked at absurd prices to start with a 50% off isn't so great either. Kindah the Mile High Comics approach.

Sooooooo, whilst I'm sure you know what you're doing, it never hurts to check out what someone is actually selling, whether they're a tight grader, whether they negotiate, whether they haven't updated their marked prices since 1987, etc.

Heck, my best deals often come from the guys who haen't even priced up their books.

Some of my best GA purchases came from a guy who had things priced right at guide...except he had everything graded at between "Fair" and "Good" that would easily be 5.0 - 7.0 books in a CGC slab. I found it hard to even haggle with him with a straight face, although he shaved a couple of bucks off anyway.

One of the most basic scam-worthy parts of the guide is that it uses a misnomer in describing books in bad condition as "good." Wonder how many old ladies have been ripped off because they brought really nice books to a dealer who agreed their books were definitely in "good condition" and proceeded to give her a fraction of the guide good price (cause, you know, he's got to leave some room for his overhead). Then the old lady went to the store and bought some generic tylenol (cause she didn't make enough selling the books to pay for chemo) while the dealer sold the books for 20X what he paid.

One of the most basic scam-worthy parts of the guide is that it uses a misnomer in describing books in bad condition as "good." Wonder how many old ladies have been ripped off because they brought really nice books to a dealer who agreed their books were definitely in "good condition" and proceeded to give her a fraction of the guide good price (cause, you know, he's got to leave some room for his overhead). Then the old lady went to the store and bought some generic tylenol (cause she didn't make enough selling the books to pay for chemo) while the dealer sold the books for 20X what he paid.

It's Immoral to let a sucker keep their Money! :devil:

An Adult should be educated on what they are selling no matter what the product, ignorance is never an excuse (only for children). If you are are not sure of something you are selling then do some research and find out before hand.

I def believe that most people who collect comics would generally in a situation where they would find themselves looking at a comic collection and come across a copy of Actions Comics #1 and the person who was ignorant to the price said they would sell it to you for like $10 bucks. I def do not see people being like, "Oh wait sir that book is worth way more than that. come on!

2c

That certainly happens, and I saw a rather wide range of starting prices on books in a similar grade. That's why I try to look at each dealer, judge his general starting mark-up if any, and then go back to the dealers that started from what I felt was the fairest mark.

But this goes back to what I said before... dealers have to decide between marking up the book and them marking it down for a big discount (which attracts lots of buyers, as your story shows) or setting it at a fair price and not offering any discount or only a very small one (or best of both worlds, fair price and steep discount!). A great many people will go for the big mark-down because they feel like they are getting a better deal. Unless you're known for crazy lowball grading (like Lee's Comics used to be), in which case you can get away with less discount because that takes the "I got a great deal" place in the buyer's mind.

But my point was that even if it's graded fairly, most buyers will want some sort of discount. And that discount is usually some percent off Overstreet' value. The sale is recorded as being less than Overstreet's price, so they lower the price / increase the spread in the next OS, and the cycle starts all over again. And that's because buyers are not haggling because they feel the book is overvalued, they are haggling to "get a good deal", and they'd haggle whether the book were half that price or double the price if Overstreet agreed.

That is where the numerical grade is actually a better indicator. I do agree it would be more appropriate to have" bad", "very bad", and "the worst" for the lowest grades. Here is an AF 15, it is the worst, how about $1,000?

That is where the numerical grade is actually a better indicator. I do agree it would be more appropriate to have" bad", "very bad", and "the worst" for the lowest grades. Here is an AF 15, it is the worst, how about $1,000?

I'll take one of the worst, please. :smile: Ten monthly payments of $100. :hail:

That would make people feel bad about their very bad graded books.

That would make people feel bad about their very bad graded books.

That's a good point. I think I recall someone from CGC giving an interview and saying how some folks entering the market didn't like having a grade like VF- on the label because of the psychology of a minus (one of the reasons it's only numerical now :shrug: ).

How about a increase in

Fight Comics #19 (1st Rip Carson and Senorita Rio)

Terrific Comics #4

nvm I'll find out my fricken self

:foryou:

Fight Comics #19

2007: 48 / 96 / 144 / 293 / 472 / 650

2008: 48 / 96 / 144 / 293 / 494 / 675

Terrific Comics #4

2007: 400 / 800 / 1,200 / 2,600 / 4,500 / 6,400

2008: 400 / 800 / 1,200 / 2,600 / 4,600 / 6,600

It's Immoral to let a sucker keep their Money! :devil:

An Adult should be educated on what they are selling no matter what the product, ignorance is never an excuse (only for children). If you are are not sure of something you are selling then do some research and find out before hand.

I def believe that most people who collect comics would generally in a situation where they would find themselves looking at a comic collection and come across a copy of Actions Comics #1 and the person who was ignorant to the price said they would sell it to you for like $10 bucks. I def do not see people being like, "Oh wait sir that book is worth way more than that. come on!

2c

point was not that I expect the average person to act differently, though I would respect someone if they did and, say, offered to take the book on a percentage. Point was about how the guide makes it easier to connive people by using words in ways that are counter-intuitive. (and most price guides in other fields do the same, actually)