• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Moderns Suck...

143 posts in this topic

He's probably right. They shouldn't be. Getting back to his theme, the adults that read them probably wish they were 12 and are just hanging on.

That's actually the best theory I've heard in a long time. (thumbs u

I know I am.

So true. :grin:

But seriously, comics started to cater to older audiences when creators started making comics for themselves sold to the direct market rather than with younger fans in mind (I see that as happening around the time Jim Starlin, Howard Chaykin, Mike Grell, et al. started producing their own creator-owned comics in the early 1980's). As those comics sold, the publishers took notice and began to cater to older audiences until those books became the norm. That, to me, explains why those of us that grew up with comics during the transition (people now in their 30's and early 40's) have tended to continue with comics rather than drop them when they hit late adolescence.

This is the crux, isn't it? I agree, 100% that the creator freedom of the 80's, brought about by First Comics and the B&W boom, allowed more mature stories to be told. This led to Marvel creating the Epic line and bringing that independent creator style and energy back in house (obviously a style and energy long since cancelled).

As 'mature' as the Big 2 try to make their s00per-hero books, you cannot compare them to what happened in the 80's. There are still companies out there creating new, interesting stories; both adult themed and teen themed. This thread seems to wonder why the Marvel superhero line isn't intended for adults. Spider-man is meant for a twelve year-old. Or maybe a bit older. People with longboxes filled with American Flagg!, Black Kiss, Marshal Law, Long Bow Hunters, Sable, Faust, American Splendor, Grendel, Elementals... they moved away from the comics they read as a kid to something more challenging, engaging and directed at the thirst for a more mature content. Spider-man is never going to give you that thrill you had as a 12 year old. So quit person_without_enough_empathying about the price of a $3, 22 page story, going nowhere super hero comic and find enjoyment in some of the other 3000 books in print right now.

Woohoo! :headbang:

Do you only read Marvels? Not all modern titles are doing the decompressed thing, and to be fair I can definitely see how that type of storytelling would annoy you. Try the first 20 issues of Conan from Dark Horse that are out in TPB. I know they aren't Marvels, but take a leap of faith here. I think you will like them. If you want action, adventure and escapism no comic has done it better in my opinion.

I read the Conans...good stuff... (thumbs u

And yes, I try to read Marvel as that's the characters I'm most familiar with. I did read the recent Invasion comic and enjoyed it (but paid another $1 for essentially a thicker cover I could have done without). But it's looking like I may have to go elsewhere for my comics reading...

Jim

Have you tried the first four Hellboy TPBs? Those are also excellent. How about Bone, Usagi Yojimbo, or Goon? Not exactly typical superhero fare, but better than most stuff by a country mile.